Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First 2 months in Melbourne

First 2 months in Melbourne

Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:14 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First 2 months in Melbourne

Originally posted by Bordy
I'm not taking her near chapel St unless she hands over the Credit Card first.
Probably very wise. But what are you doing on the forum at this time? Insomnia? Ill offspring?
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

Finally, if I could have changed anything about our journey over the last 2 months it would have been to have brought more warm clothes. It's freezing!!!!!! [/QUOTE]

Hi Cutgrass

Thanks for the info. Good to hear you are settling in.

Just wondered when you say freezing, how freezing?

All the best

Poppy
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:36 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Probably very wise. But what are you doing on the forum at this time? Insomnia? Ill offspring?

I'm a vampire Mark, Ive done nightshift for 20 plus years now.

Poppy its around 5 degrees tonight & when that wind blows yes it feels freezing out there.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 10:05 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Bordy
I'm a vampire Mark, Ive done nightshift for 20 plus years now.
I probably should have known that. I should pay more attention at expats' get-togethers as well as when shopping!

To return to something a bit nearer the thread, there's apparently a Monsoon at:

224-225 Australia-On-Collins, 260 Collins Street, Melbourne,
Victoria
tel: 0061 3965 09026
Old Jun 30th 2004, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Poppy
Finally, if I could have changed anything about our journey over the last 2 months it would have been to have brought more warm clothes. It's freezing!!!!!!
Had to jump in here. It's not THAT cold. It's winter for god's sake. Yesterday it was14 degrees and sunny in the morning and I walked into town without a coat. We have had days where I needed to wear a scarf though, so you do need to bring winter clothes.
Maybe after living in a state (maine) tyhat has 6-7 months of winter I have a different view, but to me this is more like a Sottish summer !!!

I'll admit that it is cold in the mornings in the house, especially as we only have a decent gas heater in our main room, but as soon as the sun gets going you realy feel it's strength.

BTW - we have been in Melbourne 5 weeks and LOVE it here. I have to disagree about service being slow. We have always had great service here. But HSBC did take AGES to get our cards and PIN numbers to us.

I would also agree with the house hunting advice. I thought initially I would just go around and look at a load of different houses in loads of areas, but had to narrow it down to a couple of areas just to make it managable. I then just went to all the estate agents in that area to make appointments and pick up keys where possible (make sure that you have 50 bucks in cash & you rpassport to leave as a deposit for the keys) .

I also found that telling them what we were looking for was helpful because the they didn't send us to look at crappy 3 bed unrenovated houses with kitchens from 1972 and no heating. It just takes a while to figure out the city, but after a week we ended up with a place that we are really happy with in an area that I didn't even know about before I got here. So I would say keep an open mind about where you want to live. I also looked at near the beach places and had exactly the the same experience as cutgrass. Places were pricey, and more often than not in huge tower blocks. St Kilda road for example is NOT St Kilda!
Old Jun 30th 2004, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats to cutgrass - things seem to be moving along quite nicely for you. And yes you have been lucky to get an increase in salary for an IT job.

For those interested in Chadstone Shopping Centre, yes it is big (unfortunately...... young_lass is pleased anyhow).

I was interested in the HSBC comment about EFTPOS machines at petrol stations. Perhaps you could comment on which ones cause a problem? I use a BP filling station regularly (and 1 other which I can't remember the name of) and have never had a problem with my HSBC EFTPOS card.

If we are talking 'worst' banks, I can think of lots worse than HSBC (my criteria being charges), young_lass works for one.

Helenmaine raises the reason why I've always suggested setting up your bank account before you arrive - waiting for PIN numbers etc to arrive

The temperature here in Melbourne is cold at the moment - *but* IMHO it's not as cold as a winter's day in England. In England I lived by the coast where the wind numbs your cheeks - Melbourne doesn't even come close to that. Just looking outside as I type (at 8.30am) and it's clear blues skies - a crisp winter's morning, beautiful. The temp is due to be 14deg c today.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by young_lad
I was interested in the HSBC comment about EFTPOS machines at petrol stations. Perhaps you could comment on which ones cause a problem? I use a BP filling station regularly (and 1 other which I can't remember the name of) and have never had a problem with my HSBC EFTPOS card.

If we are talking 'worst' banks, I can think of lots worse than HSBC (my criteria being charges), young_lass works for one.

Helenmaine raises the reason why I've always suggested setting up your bank account before you arrive - waiting for PIN numbers etc to arrive
It says on the info that we got with our cards that they can;t be used in Mobil stations, nothing about BP. We dont have a car so I don't know this from personal experience.

I agree with you on the bank thing although for us it was not possible (no HSBC in Maine) I was able to make withdrawals from our account over the counter though & check account by phone. My main gripe is that we have waited for 5 weeks & I am still waiting for my pin number for internet banking......

Old Jun 30th 2004, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by helenmaine
I agree with you on the bank thing although for us it was not possible (no HSBC in Maine) ....
Apply over the internet.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 10:57 pm
badgesagent

Badge tells me that HSBC cards don't work in Mobil Servos.

It is cold but on Sunday he was out digging a hole and enjoying the sun. He suddenly realised the equivalent day would be Boxing Day, UK. You would not be outside enjoying the sun and feeling warm then in the UK would you? It may feel "cold" but your skin does not go numb, and when the sun comes it can go to late teens. Well up until early June anyhow. Now it is mid teens.

He is also paid more than the UK in REAL TERMS here, too, so it is not just cutgrass. ie 30k in London, 100k here. So if you divide by 3, (which he can do) most things are cheaper, money goes further. He realises that he is very fortunate though.

BA

Old Jun 30th 2004, 11:00 pm
Tasmanian Devils

Chris Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by helenmaine
Had to jump in here. It's not THAT cold. It's winter for god's sake. Yesterday it was14 degrees and sunny in the morning and I walked into town without a coat. We have had days where I needed to wear a scarf though, so you do need to bring winter clothes.
Maybe after living in a state (maine) tyhat has 6-7 months of winter I have a different view, but to me this is more like a Sottish summer !!!

I'll admit that it is cold in the mornings in the house, especially as we only have a decent gas heater in our main room, but as soon as the sun gets going you realy feel it's strength.

Hi,

I must add that we are in York at the minute and the weather here is quite cold considering it is the middle of summer..... It has poured with rain all day and the outlook for the rest of the week is not much better, it has only been about 13 to 14 degrees today, so I wouldn't mind being over there in your winter.

We are moving to Tasmania in 24 days, can't wait, ill put up with the weather there any day..... I know its slightly colder than Melbourne but none the less, I am really looking forward to it..

We are having a couple of days in Melbourne before travelling on to Hobart, and was wondering how cold it would be

Good luck

Christine

I
Old Jun 30th 2004, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I use Safeway Petrol Stations (due mainly to the 4c per litre discount) and I haven't had a problem using my HSBC EFTPOS card either.

As Young_Lad says, I have no problems with HSBC and my only gripe is that they do seem to take a long time to send things to you (i.e. application forms for Visa Cards, Mortgage etc).

Compared to some previous winters in Melbourne, this is a really pleasant one. I remember winters where it rained constantly for days and days. Driving to work with clear blue skies and the sun shining certainly beats considering whether it is even safe enough to drive to work due to dangerous ice and freezing temperatures (UK).

I love Melbourne.....I really do!
Old Jun 30th 2004, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Apply over the internet.
\
Couldn't do it from the states. Checked it out and we had to physically go into a branch to verify our identity.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 1:04 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by badgesagent
Badge tells me that HSBC cards don't work in Mobil Servos.

It is cold but on Sunday he was out digging a hole and enjoying the sun. He suddenly realised the equivalent day would be Boxing Day, UK. You would not be outside enjoying the sun and feeling warm then in the UK would you? It may feel "cold" but your skin does not go numb, and when the sun comes it can go to late teens. Well up until early June anyhow. Now it is mid teens.

He is also paid more than the UK in REAL TERMS here, too, so it is not just cutgrass. ie 30k in London, 100k here. So if you divide by 3, (which he can do) most things are cheaper, money goes further. He realises that he is very fortunate though.

BA

Well mine worked in the Mobil opposite work the other day. In the swipe machines like Tesco had at the pump.

I found caltex and 7 11 don't take eftpos and some petrol stations in rural vic and nsw's thought I was trying to pay with a loyalty card!!!

Our way round this is we got a debit card linked to the account. Free and has visa so if all else fails use that card as credit and sign for the petrol.

Jo

Coles and Safeway petrol stations take the HSBC eftpos card.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 1:09 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Bailey
Originally posted by helenmaine

Hi,

I must add that we are in York at the minute and the weather here is quite cold considering it is the middle of summer..... It has poured with rain all day and the outlook for the rest of the week is not much better, it has only been about 13 to 14 degrees today, so I wouldn't mind being over there in your winter.

We are moving to Tasmania in 24 days, can't wait, ill put up with the weather there any day..... I know its slightly colder than Melbourne but none the less, I am really looking forward to it..

We are having a couple of days in Melbourne before travelling on to Hobart, and was wondering how cold it would be

Good luck

Christine

I
Christine

I am from York and I find Melbourne Cold. We have had ducted heating put in. The houses are just not as insulated as my little terrace house in York. I missed my central heating and nagged hubby so much my wish was granted and we got ducted heating.

Now the cold does not bother me as much. Trust me you will notice it though. The houses and offices are just not insulated enough.

Granted I escaped York in Nov last year and missed the worst of the winter and was travelling in nice tropical conditions before arriving in mid Feb so my body needed to aclimatise.

It is pleasant here to day though as the sun is shining.

Jo
Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by joh117
I am from York and I find Melbourne Cold. We have had ducted heating put in. The houses are just not as insulated as my little terrace house in York. I missed my central heating and nagged hubby so much my wish was granted and we got ducted heating.

Now the cold does not bother me as much. Trust me you will notice it though. The houses and offices are just not insulated enough.

Granted I escaped York in Nov last year and missed the worst of the winter and was travelling in nice tropical conditions before arriving in mid Feb so my body needed to aclimatise.
Can I one up everybody's "it's cold here"? My former company has been begging me to do a short-term contract for them. In January.

The company is the US Antarctic Program.

I can't decide if I want to give up a month of Australian summer for a place where a hot day is 0C.

I win!
Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.