Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First 2 months in Melbourne

Wikiposts

First 2 months in Melbourne

Old Jun 30th 2004, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First 2 months in Melbourne

Back to Melbourne, we found it cold, I did not realise for about half the year the top average temp is around 14 degrees and the average low about 6 degrees, so dont throw away the woolies or duvets. Central heating 4 years ago seemed rare, one advert was promoting it as the latest fad in Europe dont know if its caught on now though.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 4:27 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Marakai
Can I one up everybody's "it's cold here"? My former company has been begging me to do a short-term contract for them. In January.

The company is the US Antarctic Program.

I can't decide if I want to give up a month of Australian summer for a place where a hot day is 0C.

I win!
Mike
Did you see the thing on Andrew Denton's show when he visited the Australian Antarctic station?

On Wednesday night everyone retires to their rooms early and no one is allowed to disturb each other

Why?

Because Wednesday night is "w*nk night"!!
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:33 pm
badgesagent

Originally posted by renth
Did you see the thing on Andrew Denton's show when he visited the Australian Antarctic station?

On Wednesday night everyone retires to their rooms early and no one is allowed to disturb each other

Why?

lol.

what a splendid idea!! would solve many social problems in places where many colleagues live together and have little privacy. eg Big Brother.

PS Houses are cold in Melbourne. Soon sorted with:
a) More jumpers
b) A Coonara
c) A fire.
d) A good attitude.
Seriously!

One of my stories:
I was brought up in the UK without central heating so don't suffer like many. When I was a kid in the UK, the only time we used the heat from a small fan heater was the 5 mins as u were getting dressed and that was for a paper round at 5.30am. I also found I never got the flus and colds like other kids as the heating makes you namby pamby. If a kid can do it so can an adult. Me and my brother used to laugh at all our guests suffering big time. We were all sitting around OK and they were jibbering.

I went camping in Snowdonia aged 13 in April I was the only kid in my class (along with my mate) who stripped down to my kacks and washed in the river at the camp site. All the other kids pretended to. My teachers were seriously impressed.

When I was 16 I recall doing the same in the SNOW!! I even shaved as well.

I also find that if its not TOO cold then just RELAX forget about it - then you find its not so cold after all. I'm deathly serious. Many the morning I tell myself it is cold and then I realise I just think it is. eg. Quite often jump out of bed, shivering, freezing - it IS relative to the nice warm pit you were in. But if you force yourself to NOT shiver, relax, put it all in perspective, you think "its not so bad after all". Just a bit of SELF DISCIPLINE. Seriously, a lot of it is in the mind. If that fails, make a cup of tea. Do 60 pressups. Jump in shower, towel off, put on clothes - sorted. It was only when MrsB arrived that I even turned on the fire.

BA

Last edited by badgesagent; Jun 30th 2004 at 5:47 pm.

Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:44 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgesagent
lol.

what a splendid idea!! would solve many social problems in places where many colleagues live together and have little privacy. eg Big Brother.

PS Houses are cold in Melbourne. Soon sorted with
a) More jumpers
b) A Coonara
c) A fire.
AND a very fetching pair of eighties stylie pixie ugg slippers
2 dooners on ya bed.
and learning how to keep the coonara lit for a whole week
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:46 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

PS. HSBC cards don't work at mobile garages or the chinese at Stud park shops

BUT if you order brochures etc on line they come through in about 3 days. Banking with them IMO is good.

Also we managed to get a virgin credit card without puting any money in an account like most make you do
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:49 pm
badgesagent

Originally posted by hevs
AND a very fetching pair of eighties stylie pixie ugg slippers
2 dooners on ya bed.
and learning how to keep the coonara lit for a whole week

the slippers are cool.

It was not my idea to have the thicker doona on the bed by the way.

I am less hardy to the cold now because I have the CHOICE of something better but I know I have done it in the past..

Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:51 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by badgesagent
the slippers are cool.

It was not my idea to have the thicker doona on the bed by the way.

I am less hardy to the cold now because I have the CHOICE of something better but I know I have done it in the past..

This must be some size of bed to have Badge, Mrs Badge & Badges Agent in it. At least you will be warm.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:57 pm
badgesagent

Originally posted by Bordy
This must be some size of bed to have Badge, Mrs Badge & Badges Agent in it. At least you will be warm.
yup

I'm out of here. Now. Been so busy working today - flat out like a lizard drinking, HAD to have a break on Expats.

See you all later.

BM
etc

yadda yadda

Old Jun 30th 2004, 6:34 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Bordy
Yes, I was thinking that! It sounds like Mrs Badge is a lucky lady indeed, to have not one but TWO fit blokes to choose from...

Anya.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 9:27 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by anya4oz
Yes, I was thinking that! It sounds like Mrs Badge is a lucky lady indeed, to have not one but TWO fit blokes to choose from...
Not sure we have any evidence as to BA's gender. I know he/she did mention shaving but that doesn't really pin it down, now does it?
Old Jul 1st 2004, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by renth

Why?

Harder to do at the US stations, as most of the rooms are dorms (at least at McMurdo, new South Pole station has single rooms).

From what I've seen there's a fair bit of casual sex going on, though many people are there as couples.

But, I think the Aussies have a great idea - it was tough for me as married (and faithful!) man for a mere 5 weeks. A whole season would have been unbearable.

Mike
Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:31 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Marakai
Harder to do at the US stations, as most of the rooms are dorms
Nah, just turns it into a competition! (I speak theoretically, you understand.)
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
I could tell stories, but my lips are sealed...
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:36 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Ya know, I've been *wondering* where you kept disappearing off to every Wednesday night

Anya.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 5:01 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by anya4oz
Ya know, I've been *wondering* where you kept disappearing off to every Wednesday night

Anya.

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.