Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fines for the water wasters!!

Fines for the water wasters!!

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fines for the water wasters!!

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Seeing as water here in Perth is at low levels is it not time that those that waste our precious water are penalised?

I try to be careful with our usage, not having the tap running whilst teeth brushing, only filling the kettle to the required level and screaming at the boys when they are in the shower longer than necessary...............

Cam home at 6pm, and my neighbour has a hose pipe running with a sprinkler on the end, watering the front garden. It is now almost 8pm and it is STILL running!!!!! What a waste of our precious resources!!!

It is strange that someone would keep the hose on when water is such a big issue.I am in Qld and don't have water recriction where I live.I do not water the grass at all but water plants late evening just as the mozzies are biting(we haven't got daylight saving either).People that waste water should be penalised,water is precious makes you wonder, about moaning about it raining in the UK.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:24 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think we still get more rain here then in the UK, even in the drought.

Originally Posted by by the sea side
makes you wonder, about moaning about it raining in the UK.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
I think we still get more rain here then in the UK, even in the drought.
generally I think perth gets more annual rainfall than Manchester.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:46 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sme
Thats the answer then - offer out your garden as the local dog urinal
It already is. Need a dog toilet? Bring your dog to our lawn.

The only problem with this is when I find out who you are and deliver the dog poop back to your house through your letter box.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
What has being Italian got to do with it ? And how can not using a broom be a cultural thing?

I agree with the sentiments about water wastage but not that happy you made it into a race issue.
It has been pointed out to me on many occasions that Southern Europeans are the ones who like to hose their concrete...my neighbour is definitely southern European and likes to hose his concrete. It is a statement, not a racial comment.
Bit like saying the English like to talk about the weather....

Don't take offence where none is meant.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 5:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pomster
It has been pointed out to me on many occasions that Southern Europeans are the ones who like to hose their concrete...
My US friends hose their concrete. They're not Italian or Southern European. Maybe all Americans like to hose their concrete....

Perhaps if there are Americans here, they can comment.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Hosing concrete was certainly nothing I had encountered before coming to Oz.

Perhaps we are behind the times with this broom-implement-thing which we use?
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 5:07 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rug13y
I cant believe there is not real infrastructure to catch rainwater like the do in the UK!
So what infrastructure do they have in the UK to catch rainwater that we don't have here?

Maybe they could supply us with the technology.

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Hosing concrete was certainly nothing I had encountered before coming to Oz.

Perhaps we are behind the times with this broom-implement-thing which we use?
On the contrary, I think we're ahead of the times. What will the concrete hosers do when the water is all gone?

I saw concrete hosing a lot in the UK. Esp with pressure washers.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:00 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Esp with pressure washers.
Gets all those nasty brown stains off

I still don't get how being Italian equates to whether you use a broom, hose or whatever you choose to clean your driveway with.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

we're on level 4 restrictions here. In a down pour the other day I drove past a house that had sprinklers going on the front garden WTF No sign up saying bore or tank water either and most who have that do as they're fed up with being reported
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:42 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

What's so strange about using water to clean things?

A pressure washer uses quite a lot less water than a hand spray anyway.

As far as I know the planet actually has an overall small *gain* of water from cometary debris and has *more* water each year. It may be falling in different places but if state governments won't spend the money building new dams and catchments while watching populations double and triple I don't see much hope!

I don't waste water - never have - but I refuse to be brainwashed (joke) into feeling guilty by the same people who (a) insist on handling water themselves (ie. governments) and (b) are comically incompetent to do so.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Took me ages to work out all the watering systems on the various stages - and then reconcile those with the permanent ones. I hardly ever use water outside but made sure I had a nozzle on the hose so noone can dob me in on suspicion alone.

Basically for VIC, Stage 2 means you cannot water lawns. But I think you can water gardens. And there is an emphasis on the types of system you can use too and at what times. I think that because I would use a hose with trigger nozzle to water plants if I did I'm pretty safe - I think.

My wife waters all her plants from the baby's bath water. We've not used a hose in 3 years.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It has been pointed out to me on many occasions that Southern Europeans are the ones who like to hose their concrete...my neighbour is definitely southern European and likes to hose his concrete. It is a statement, not a racial comment.
Bit like saying the English like to talk about the weather....

Don't take offence where none is meant.
I think the 'racist' comment is more to do with the fact that Southern Europeans like to have concrete in the first place. They buy a decent block of land and do the whole thing in concrete. I've heard people put on a mock accent:

'just concrete the block'.

Funny thing is, I know of a South American who wants to tile most of his and he has offered to do, and suggested I do mine. I've been as polite as I can with the bastard...
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've been as polite as I can with the bastard...

...so far!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.