Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

finding work as a plumber

finding work as a plumber

Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:52 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default finding work as a plumber

Victoria supposedly has a big shortage of plumbers. yet i've spent hours trawling the web looking for vacancys with no joy. how would i go about finding work? where would it be advertised.

thanks in advance Fraser.

Ps. this emmigration lark is a bit stressfull
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:23 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: finding work as a plumber

Originally Posted by fraser
Victoria supposedly has a big shortage of plumbers. yet i've spent hours trawling the web looking for vacancys with no joy. how would i go about finding work? where would it be advertised.

anyone
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Of very little use to you - but might be worth plugging in (excuse the pun) plumbers into 'Search' and seeing what it throws up.

Hubby is a plasterer and there's apparently a shortage for that too (we've got STNI from Vic, so the state gov. think so, waiting on the TRA) and I'd agree, you wouldn't think so from doing a jobsearch online. But I had a pm from someone on the forum who has relatives who are plasterers in Vic. and said that according to them more are needed.

Might work in a similar way to the UK, word of mouth and local advertising.

anyone
Old Nov 4th 2004, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

Hi Fraser try looking in the yellow pages and ringing a few companies up this has worked for some who have already moved over and for those who are still in the uk
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search/searchEntry.do

have you looked at these web sites ive found a few here
http://jobs.careerone.com.au/search/...15&Search.y=10

and a few more here

http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...ccupation=1474
or have a drive around and look for workers vans and get their numbers its got to be worth a go

good luck in you search

Debs xxx
Old Nov 4th 2004, 3:13 pm

thanks dotty and debs. have tried all those sites. have just received my tra .i'm going to apply for the stni and if that fails i'll have to get the regional. i don't know if i'm exicited or stressed but for the first time i actually believe that in the near future i'll be living in victoria
Old Nov 4th 2004, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Congrats. on the TRA. We were told last week that a decision would be made on hubby's appl. this week, so I'm phoning tommorrow morning and hoping I get a kind soul who'll drop big hints (and that it's positive!!!!!!! dreading the idea of appealing!)

The minute we get a positive result I'm finding out if we can contact people advertising for plasterers, as we already have STNI and a job offer could only strengthen our visa appl.

It's worth a try.

thanks dotty and debs. have tried all those sites. have just received my tra .i'm going to apply for the stni and if that fails i'll have to get the regional. i don't know if i'm exicited or stressed but for the first time i actually believe that in the near future i'll be living in victoria
Old Nov 4th 2004, 4:22 pm

if you've already got the stni and you get the tra i would have thought you're as good as in. how long did it take to get the stni . if i could get that i think i'll be opening the bubbly
Old Nov 4th 2004, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fraser

We have also experienced the same, Chris (hubby) is a roofer, we have looked at all those sites too, with no joy

I did have some luck by doing a web search for the materials that he uses and got some suppliers names. Nearer the time we`ll write & send cv`s to them and see if they can help or pass them on.

Might be worth a try, we are as confused as you I thought that there would be loads of trades jobs being advertised as they are ment to be in demand?

All the best
Sue

Last edited by Sue2; Nov 4th 2004 at 4:54 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:03 pm

sue i found a lot of roofing jobs in my search for plumbing.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
That would be a roof plumber, yeah I found loads of them too, not what Chris does. He does flat roofing, its called felt membrane out their & there does`nt seem to be alot of it about.
A friend that worked in Aus for a while said he had loads of work doing it? so we`re just going to give it a go! He can do other types of roofing, but thats what he does best.

If not looks like I`ll be going out to work full time

All the best
Sue
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:40 pm

sue i'd be more than happy to do anything if i get stni but if i don't i have to work 1 of the first 2 years as a plumber or i risk not getting a pr
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'd like to think so, but our family circumstances are a little more complex Still, I'm hoping it might weigh the balance in our favour, especially if a job offer was included

I'm on the phone first thing in the morning and hoping there's some good news waiting (as we were told a decision would be made this week).

STNI took a couple of weeks - we must have timed it right.

if you've already got the stni and you get the tra i would have thought you're as good as in. how long did it take to get the stni . if i could get that i think i'll be opening the bubbly
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:49 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fraser

Best thin g to do is get online and get the list of the builders in the area, go to their websites if they have one and get contact details and send them ur cv via e-mail, or post it out, get your name known. a lot of firms will not consider you until you already have your visa, this is what we found anyway. As soon as we had our visa's, hubby got telephone interview one day, job offer the next.....been here 4 months now.

Try and chill out a bit....get some white chestnut oil works wonders for stress

All the best
H
Old Nov 6th 2004, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Lee4444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi fraser
its good to find another plumber on here iam just trying to get my TRA stuff together.So abit behind you any tips ?The internet seems a bit lean on the job front but its probably a bit like here.Also plumbers licence will slow things down when it does come to job search.
cheers
Lee
Old Nov 6th 2004, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

thfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive been here 5 months now and also a plumber [for the last 25 years].Out here you have to be registered and licensed to work.I have got to take 6 exams to be able to work,im still waiting to hear from plumbing industry.Im now steel fixing and the money is not that much different from plumbers on site work.I was excepted out here as a plumber and when you get here you cant work,mad aint it.But there is loads of work around.Also the plumbing is a lot different out here,they seem to make it so hard for themselves,they seem years behind England.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.