Reload this Page >

Finding work and cost of living

Finding work and cost of living

Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

danskitt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding work and cost of living

Hi all,

I am planning to move to Sydney with my Australian partner and 18 month old daughter. Two areas that concern me though is work and cost of living.

Work - I have worked for my self for 8 years owning a printers for 5 years and running a kitchen fitting business for the last 3 years. My problem is though that I don't have any qualifications. How do you think it would be trying to find work without qualifications in any field and what salary could I expect?

Cost of living - We will be a family of three (looking to be four) how much could we realistically be looking to be paying out per month for everything, like rent, utilities car etc.

Thanks
Dan
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Finding work and cost of living

Originally Posted by danskitt
Hi all,

I am planning to move to Sydney with my Australian partner and 18 month old daughter. Two areas that concern me though is work and cost of living.

Work - I have worked for my self for 8 years owning a printers for 5 years and running a kitchen fitting business for the last 3 years. My problem is though that I don't have any qualifications. How do you think it would be trying to find work without qualifications in any field and what salary could I expect?

Cost of living - We will be a family of three (looking to be four) how much could we realistically be looking to be paying out per month for everything, like rent, utilities car etc.

Thanks
Dan
Hi Dan,

Welcome to BE

Not too sure about the Sydney area as we are moving to Perth.

Have you tried looking around the following sites:

www.realestate.com.au (rental / buying costs)
www.aldi.com.au (food costs)
www.seek.com.au (job ideas / salaries)

Just a few websites I have looked at, purely for basic ideas of what the costs are.

Hope this will be of some help, but like us, you will never know the true cost until you arrive and put everyting into practice.

If I was in your shoes I think I would seek more info on the job front before anything else.

Donna.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

I'm not sure about your specific questions, but would have concerns about you getting a visa to live and work in Aus without recognised skills/qualifications, though I presume this is something you've already looked at?
Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Cost of living... very rough guide would be to add up what you pay now and then add about 20%. We have friends here at the moment from the UK and they have been shocked at how much everything costs. The exchange rate movements have been a killer for people moving in from the UK.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
I'm not sure about your specific questions, but would have concerns about you getting a visa to live and work in Aus without recognised skills/qualifications, though I presume this is something you've already looked at?
He says he is coming with his Australian partner and daughter so probably coming on a spouse visa........don't need skills assessment for that
Old Dec 28th 2008, 1:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by danskitt

Thanks
Dan
This is an example of my own expenses in one year, 2007/2008, to give an idea of costs.

Cars $7,953.73
Education $5,595.00
Electricity $1,938.70 (5 bed house & heated Swimming pool)
Food & General $8,574.80
House Insurance $697.00 (say half, for contents only when renting)
Internet $579.80
Medical $1,959.27
Phones $733.99
Rates and Water $2,254.73 (not payable when renting)

The above covers two cars and 2 adults with one child in private education.

Rent will depend on location and house size.
In the Sydney area this can start from $180 pw (for 2 bed western Sydney) upwards as far as you like.

Old Dec 28th 2008, 1:50 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
This is an example of my own expenses in one year, 2007/2008, to give an idea of costs.

Cars $7,953.73
Education $5,595.00
Electricity $1,938.70 (5 bed house & heated Swimming pool)
Food & General $8,574.80
House Insurance $697.00 (say half, for contents only when renting)
Internet $579.80
Medical $1,959.27
Phones $733.99
Rates and Water $2,254.73 (not payable when renting)

The above covers two cars and 2 adults with one child in private education.

Rent will depend on location and house size.
In the Sydney area this can start from $180 pw (for 2 bed western Sydney) upwards as far as you like.
That's a bit anal mate that you know how much you spent on food to the last cent over a twelve month period !!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 2:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That's a bit anal mate that you know how much you spent on food to the last cent over a twelve month period !!
Part and parcel of being an accountant, and keeping track of all my spending.

My doctor also thinks that doing things like that will also keep alzheimer's at bay for a little longer.

Anal or Medical ? Whatever you wish to think.

Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01

we are moving to Perth.

Have you tried looking around the following sites:

www.realestate.com.au (rental / buying costs)
www.aldi.com.au (food costs)
www.seek.com.au (job ideas / salaries)
Shame there are no Aldi stores in WA
Old Dec 28th 2008, 11:54 am
Just Joined

danskitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, that's great information, it gives me something to work with.

I will be on a spouse visa so not to worried about that just if we will be able to survive.