Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding work at 64.

Finding work at 64.

Old Aug 17th 2013, 12:36 pm
wannabejillaroo

jillany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding work at 64.

This is my second attempt to settle in Australia. I arrived two months ago on a full Contributory Parent Visa and am 64 years old. I was here 3 years ago for a year and went back to Canada for 2 years, as I was not happy and my dog I had brought with me had developed cancer and couldn't tolerate the grandchildren. She passed away earlier this year, hence I am back to try again, thinking, hoping, I might be able to settle down better this time. I have no family in Canada, only very good friends. Lived there for 26 years. Both my children live in Australia. The rest of my family live in the UK.

Unfortunately I am having a hard time finding suitable employment, am living with my daughter, husband and two small grandchildren and feeling totally lost. Today I was reminded, tactfully, that I would be leaving here soon and moving in to my own place. I am starting to panic as I do not fit into any of the jobs offered and cannot move anywhere until I have employment. I can't even get a car as I don't know if I will have an income and have to look after what money I do have.

I have applied for a few jobs, had 2 interviews that went nowhere. Centrelink can't help me find a job as my daughter sponsored me. Does anyone have any fresh ideas on finding work? I am not "qualified" in any trade, as I used to farm and that is of no use now. I worked as a bookkeeper for a small company for a few years, but most bookkeeping jobs here require more knowledge than I have and experience with all of Microsoft Office Suite which I don't have. I am self taught on the computer and in bookkeeping. I am doing a distance course to try to get my Cert IV in Bookkeeping but it is slow going.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I must admit I am starting to wish I had never come back. I wanted to be near family but not like this. I don't want to struggle to survive here and at the moment feel that is what I will be doing. It is not as easy as I thought it would be.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 12:46 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work at 64.

Originally Posted by jillany
This is my second attempt to settle in Australia. I arrived two months ago on a full Contributory Parent Visa and am 64 years old. I was here 3 years ago for a year and went back to Canada for 2 years, as I was not happy and my dog I had brought with me had developed cancer and couldn't tolerate the grandchildren. She passed away earlier this year, hence I am back to try again, thinking, hoping, I might be able to settle down better this time. I have no family in Canada, only very good friends. Lived there for 26 years. Both my children live in Australia. The rest of my family live in the UK.

Unfortunately I am having a hard time finding suitable employment, am living with my daughter, husband and two small grandchildren and feeling totally lost. Today I was reminded, tactfully, that I would be leaving here soon and moving in to my own place. I am starting to panic as I do not fit into any of the jobs offered and cannot move anywhere until I have employment. I can't even get a car as I don't know if I will have an income and have to look after what money I do have.

I have applied for a few jobs, had 2 interviews that went nowhere. Centrelink can't help me find a job as my daughter sponsored me. Does anyone have any fresh ideas on finding work? I am not "qualified" in any trade, as I used to farm and that is of no use now. I worked as a bookkeeper for a small company for a few years, but most bookkeeping jobs here require more knowledge than I have and experience with all of Microsoft Office Suite which I don't have. I am self taught on the computer and in bookkeeping. I am doing a distance course to try to get my Cert IV in Bookkeeping but it is slow going.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I must admit I am starting to wish I had never come back. I wanted to be near family but not like this. I don't want to struggle to survive here and at the moment feel that is what I will be doing. It is not as easy as I thought it would be.
Hi Jillany

Where abouts are you in Australia?
Old Aug 17th 2013, 12:52 pm
wannabejillaroo

Brisbane area.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 12:57 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jillany
Brisbane area.
All I can think of is retail or receptionist work if that appeals at all. Hopefully someone with knowledge of the area might be able to come up with some other suggestions.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 1:07 pm
wannabejillaroo

Thanks for your suggestions. I was an admin assistant for a year last time I was here, working for family. Retail work is a possibility and that was one of the jobs I applied for and didn't get. I even applied for a job working in some kennels. No luck there either. I am fit and healthy but they asked my age.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 1:21 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to an employment agency which works to help people re-enter the workforce. They're in Brisbane so hopefully they can help you. I'd also ask them for some advice on what to do when you're asked about your age. It's discriminatory to ask and I'd be tempted to lie if I was asked. I hope you find something that helps.

http://www.maxemployment.com.au/about-us.aspx
Old Aug 17th 2013, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly? I really do think you will struggle - probably not what you want to hear but Australia is a very ageist society and without particular skills you aren't really an attractive proposition to an employer. I don't know there is a magic answer really - keep on trying and try anything but you probably wouldn't fancy being a night cleaner and you'd struggle against quick young Asians. Perhaps trawl the malls, try places like David Jones or Myers because they do see value in maturity apparently. Many people of your age are retired (I'm same age as you so not knocking on age grounds!). I have been offered jobs at my age but I have professional qualifications in demand but I doubt is pick up anything which didn't have a particular professional focus. You could do a TAFE cert iii or iv which might give you another string to your bow. Good luck! It's going to be uphill!
Old Aug 17th 2013, 8:41 pm
wannabejillaroo

I went to Max Employment already. They told me I had to register at Centrelink. I went to Centrelink and they told me they couldn't help me as I was sponsored by my daughter. It didn't make sense to me or her, and she was with me at the time.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Did you not discuss how you would support your lifestyle prior to moving in with your children?

Were you expecting to stay with your children indefinitely, and did you not think what would happen if you did not get a job? What about savings/investments? Have you any of those you can use?

You say that you wanted to be near family..... but you are living with them - a situation which sounds as though they do not want to be permanent.

I can't say it is going to be easy to find work at 64 ...... you are up against much younger, more qualified people. Good for you for doing a book-keeping course.

If the worst comes to the worst can you return to Canada? Did you work in Canada?
Old Aug 17th 2013, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time. Have you tried Bunnings, or similar? Work is pretty hard to find in QLD at the mo and it is a pretty ageist place
Old Aug 17th 2013, 9:54 pm
wannabejillaroo

I thought with my Bookkeeping background of a few years it would be easy to get a job, My plan was not to stay with my daughter indefinitely. It was until I got a job. I have lived independently in Canada for a few years and it cost me a lot of money to get here. I just wanted to be near family, not live with them.

Yes I can return to Canada and yes I did work there and yes I have savings and that is what I am living on. Investments - no. I lost a lot because of my ex.

Yep, I tried Bunnings too. No luck there either. I have a lot of experience with building and maintaining properties, I used to own my own retail store, and bed and breakfast. I ran my farming operation for 14 years, I have qualifications but they are not useful here, only a cold country like Canada.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I really do think that the CPV is for the wealthy who can spend that amount of money and still not need to work once they arrive in Australia. There are some good ideas on the thread but as you know it is bound to be very hard, if nothing comes up and you start to feel the pressure from family, perhaps you could return to Canada and only look at Australia once you are ready to retire?

Good luck. You have my sympathy, I hate ageism, I often feel it is the biggest "ism" out there when it comes to employment, but gets far less attention that sexism or racism in the workplace.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Two months is not a long time to be "settling in " and looking for and finding a job. The job market is tough these days and so many jobs require technical expertise and experience.

I would give it a couple more months and then depending on how much you have left in savings and whether you have work make a decision as to whether living in poverty in Australia but near family is better than living and working in Canada with good friends.

You can always visit you know.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Can I suggest driving a cab ? It,s nice light work and you get to meet some weird and wonderful people

Neil
Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:09 am
wannabejillaroo

I think you need to know the roads first wouldn't you. I know GPS's are darned useful but not so sure they would work in that situation and aren't always 100% accurate. I enjoy meeting weird and wonderful people though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.