Reload this Page >

Finding a place in Sydney

Finding a place in Sydney

Old Jan 26th 2013, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

DRSAS will become famous soon enoughDRSAS will become famous soon enough
Question Finding a place in Sydney

Hi,

I am planning to move to Sydney with my family in 3 months time. I understand to rent a place you need rent history, payslips etc. I would have neither as I am migrating and settling in for the first time.

Any advise on how to solve this catch 22 situation?

DRSAS

Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Finding a place in Sydney

Have 6 months rent and bond ready up front.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Reaver
Have 6 months rent and bond ready up front.
How much is the bond? is the rent/bond refundable in case one leaves early?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DRSAS
How much is the bond? is the rent/bond refundable in case one leaves early?
depends on the property? how big? how close to the CBD? who has listed it? In all honesty, considering you're going in 3 months, it doesnt sound like you have done much research.

Look either here...

http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=rent

or here...

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/

to get an idea of what you are looking for and how much its going to cost.

Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Reaver
depends on the property? how big? how close to the CBD? who has listed it? In all honesty, considering you're going in 3 months, it doesnt sound like you have done much research.

Look either here...

http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=rent

or here...

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/

to get an idea of what you are looking for and how much its going to cost.

Thanks, I will look into these. What I meant about the cost of the bond was, usually how is it calculated..multiple of few weeks of rent?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Normally it is between 4 weeks and 1.5 months worth of rent. Most aussie rentals are charged by the week, so you can expect to pay 4 weeks rent as a bond.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I am planning to move to Sydney with my family in 3 months time. I understand to rent a place you need rent history, payslips etc. I would have neither as I am migrating and settling in for the first time.

Any advise on how to solve this catch 22 situation?

DRSAS

Like many migrants we also did not have payslips or rental history. It really is not a problem at all. If you have a job, show proof. If you don't have a job, show savings and if you find it very competitive offer to pay up front.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: Finding a place in Sydney

Thank you for the replies.

So what relatively cost effective options would you recommend which are available which I can take my family to once I land Sydney and before I can find a long term place for my family

Last edited by DRSAS; Jan 26th 2013 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the replies.

So what relatively cost effective options would you recommend which are available which I can take my family to once I land Sydney and before I can find a long term place for myself.
I don't understand. You are brining the family over and then looking for a place for yourself? Not for all of you?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I don't understand. You are brining the family over and then looking for a place for yourself? Not for all of you?
Sorry for the confusion, yes for all of us ( my wife and 2 year old son)
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We stayed in a serviced apartment for five weeks, suits a couple but can get pricey for a family. A holiday park like Big4 might work for a family.

http://sydney-lakeside-holiday-park.nsw.big4.com.au/

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jan 26th 2013 at 9:35 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

When I looked at the place we're renting now, I had a copy of my work contract, a reference from our previous rental agent in New Zealand, my passport and drivers licence, and photocopies of all of those so the agent could take them away with the rental application. I had the advantage that we were coming back to Oz with citizenship, but the theory of having all the documentation ready up front works really well. We didn't need to offer or pay additional rent or bond - just the usual 4 weeks of each. Good luck with the move.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
When I looked at the place we're renting now, I had a copy of my work contract, a reference from our previous rental agent in New Zealand, my passport and drivers licence, and photocopies of all of those so the agent could take them away with the rental application. I had the advantage that we were coming back to Oz with citizenship, but the theory of having all the documentation ready up front works really well. We didn't need to offer or pay additional rent or bond - just the usual 4 weeks of each. Good luck with the move.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I understand the reference from previous rental agent from New Zealand working, I doubt if the reference from my rental agent from Pakistan would be very helpful ?

Last edited by DRSAS; Jan 27th 2013 at 4:46 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared to be VERY frustrated by the Sydney rental market, renters are considered an underclass in Sydney.

We have lived in 3 houses in just under 2 years! First house the owner wanted back for themselves so kicked us out and the second was sold from underneath us and again had to get out. Be careful of any house that has a lease of only 6 months.

If you look in popular areas (we originally looked at Lane Cove) then be prepared to roll up at the viewing with between 80 -100 other people all with their forms filled out already. As soon as the agent opens to door it is like a race, everyone floods forward and try and put their applications in on the spot. The agent usually tells them that she cannot take them on site so need to go to the office. Then the race starts to look around quickly and then dash to where the agents office is to get the forms in. You arrive at the agents to find that you are something like submission number 45! It is VERY competitive for the good places, you will need good references and a good job to stand out. Of course it makes no difference if you are submission number 1 or 100, but it doesn't stop the 'first in' mentality.

Other people viewing start to become very familiar as it is generally the same people viewing the same houses as you!

We now have a lease on this place until mid November but hoping to be in a position to buy a house by around August - October.

Last edited by Jon77; Jan 27th 2013 at 9:51 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

King Charlie is an unknown quantity at this point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.