Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding a place to live

Finding a place to live

Old Apr 22nd 2023, 3:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a place to live

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Purely from personal observations, after 20 years working in disaster management, which pretty much meant observing the weather 24/7, Queensland's weather has changed. I'm not speculating on reasons, just stating the facts. Weather patterns have changed a huge amount in the last 20 years,
No they haven't
weather is only one aspect of climate too
Old Apr 22nd 2023, 12:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No they haven't
weather is only one aspect of climate too
I am actually aware of that.

I know what I've been observing and working with for 20 years. You don't. Not going to argue about it though, life is too short.
Old Apr 22nd 2023, 12:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I am actually aware of that.

I know what I've been observing and working with for 20 years. You don't. Not going to argue about it though, life is too short.
I've been observing for 20 years too and nothing's changed - but you're entitled to your opinion
Old Apr 24th 2023, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Climate is one thing that stops me moving back to the UK. In Sydney, yes it probably has a higher rainfall than many parts of the UK but then the sun comes out.

What bothers me most about the UK weather is the 9 months of winter and that low hanging overcast skies that just hang around weeks. Summer in the UK is awesome but just too short.
Even in the 13 years we have been back in the UK the weather has changed, our winters are certainly not as cold or as long, we only had ice 3 times on the car early morning this year and we are in the Peak District !!! Spring certainly seems to come earlier every year our friends who live just below Birmingham have drier and more sunny days than us as do our friends in Hampshire, in all honesty it would be nice to have a full summer here in the Peak District as in Australia but then I could not deal with all the heat for that period of time, I also disliked the flies, mozzies and other bugs we use to have in WA (of which were many) but that’s me. A big thing also is what the sun to your skin when exposed to those long periods of summer in Aus, my dad said once that “most all look well with their tans but I have never seen so many wrinkles on people”
Old Apr 25th 2023, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Even in the 13 years we have been back in the UK the weather has changed, our winters are certainly not as cold or as long, we only had ice 3 times on the car early morning this year and we are in the Peak District !!! Spring certainly seems to come earlier every year our friends who live just below Birmingham have drier and more sunny days than us as do our friends in Hampshire, in all honesty it would be nice to have a full summer here in the Peak District as in Australia but then I could not deal with all the heat for that period of time, I also disliked the flies, mozzies and other bugs we use to have in WA (of which were many) but that’s me. A big thing also is what the sun to your skin when exposed to those long periods of summer in Aus, my dad said once that “most all look well with their tans but I have never seen so many wrinkles on people”
I was never worried about the cold too much in the UK. In fact the colder the better. Colder usually meant weather from the east and clear skies. It was the prolonged periods of overcast skies, drizzle, and the amount of time it went for over the year. Sadly I hear the recent school holidays were "wet". Shame about that.

I have never lived in WA so cant comment on its weather. Sounds miserable. Plenty of other places in Australia to live if that wasnt your cup of tea.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 7:51 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

I was never worried about the cold too much in the UK. In fact the colder the better. Colder usually meant weather from the east and clear skies. It was the prolonged periods of overcast skies, drizzle, and the amount of time it went for over the year. Sadly I hear the recent school holidays were "wet". Shame about that.

I have never lived in WA so cant comment on its weather. Sounds miserable. Plenty of other places in Australia to live if that wasnt your cup of tea.
WA is huge, I’m currently in Kimberley. Before that all over Pilbara. Spent 25yrs in Busso/Bunbury/Perth.

Weather in Perth mellow, up north wet/dry season including out cyclone not few days ago. Apples and oranges, comparing Adelaide with Cairns really to make such a sweeping comment about WA in general
Old Apr 25th 2023, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
WA is huge, I’m currently in Kimberley. Before that all over Pilbara. Spent 25yrs in Busso/Bunbury/Perth.

Weather in Perth mellow, up north wet/dry season including out cyclone not few days ago. Apples and oranges, comparing Adelaide with Cairns really to make such a sweeping comment about WA in general
Unfortunately it has always been that way and look how many people talk about the UK or comment on the weather assuming it's the same everywhere for everyone, although it's a 12 hour drive from Inverness to Penzance. Even two people in the same room will have a different feel and this is the world we live in. Here in Ireland we have experienced droughts in recent times (see below), but of course my friends who have rain in their garden right now won't believe it as people only see their own situation and problems. Due to size, talking about WA or Australia in general is even more complex.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 11:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

I'm currently in Denmark WA and it's absolutely pissing down! It's cold and miserable tonight. We were in Albany a few days ago and the weather was outstanding - as good as it gets on planet Earth basically

I don't mind this kind of weather actually - it rains and it's cold that's it. The UK gets weeks and weeks of overcast, grey, damp and drizzly, not too cold nothing weather. I hate it
Old Apr 25th 2023, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

We don't experience drizzle and only have mist or rain showers. I do love the drizzle you get in the Kent Downs and I remember around Melbourne was often like that too and the drizzle was very relaxing, especially in wooded areas. I've only seen similar when we drive out Connemara National Park or through Valleys here. Albany was always nice for holidays and climate similar to Costa Brava region, this is why we prefer that part of Spain and no longer drive further down.

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 25th 2023 at 2:51 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza

Are you talking about autumn weather? because I would not class Perth or the North of Wa as Mellow in late spring and summer my husband spent years in the north regions of WA, it’s been 13 years since we lived in WA and weather could if changed in that time.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm currently in Denmark WA and it's absolutely pissing down! It's cold and miserable tonight. We were in Albany a few days ago and the weather was outstanding - as good as it gets on planet Earth basically

I don't mind this kind of weather actually - it rains and it's cold that's it. The UK gets weeks and weeks of overcast, grey, damp and drizzly, not too cold nothing weather. I hate it
We live in the Peak District and if we had weather like you have described believe you me I would of been on a plane out of here asap lol We use to head “down south” in WA in winter times (in July) as we missed having that lovely fresh cold weather yes even the rain after the heat of autumn and summer lol
Old Apr 26th 2023, 10:21 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Are you talking about autumn weather? because I would not class Perth or the North of Wa as Mellow in late spring and summer my husband spent years in the north regions of WA, it’s been 13 years since we lived in WA and weather could if changed in that time.
As per any weather, you get used to it. After months away, SW and Perth would be too cold for me. I used to complain humidity down south during February but nothing like Kimberley. Apples and oranges again.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

I have lived in Perth for 12 years and yes we get a few very hot days in January and February but I love waking up every morning to clear, cloudless piercing blue skies and glorious sunshine day after day for weeks on end in the summer and spring. Even if you are having a shitty day just being out in the sunshine and looking up at the beautiful blue sky lifts your spirits. And it’s a very dry heat so even when the temperature is in the high 30s or low 40s you are not dripping with sweat as soon as you step outside. We had a family holiday in Malaysia a few years ago and it was 28-30C most days but unbearable because of the 80% humidity. Couldn’t stand it. It was like being in a giant greenhouse. Much like summers in Queensland. Even in winter in Perth we get the beautiful blue skies and sunshine quite a lot of the time. I certainly don’t miss the weeks of miserable, drizzly cold grey winters in the UK. You only ever get a few days of gorgeous weather in the summer in the UK and it’s usually followed by massive downpours.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Apr 28th 2023 at 8:08 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Apr 26th 2023, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kips
I have lived in Perth for 12 years and yes we get a few very hot days in January and February but I love waking up every morning to clear, cloudless piercing blue skies and glorious sunshine day after day for weeks on end in the summer and spring. Even if you are having a shitty day just being out in the sunshine and looking up at the beautiful blue sky lifts your spirits. And it’s a very dry heat so even when the temperature is in the high 30s or low 40s you are not dripping with sweat as soon as you step outside. We had a family holiday in Malaysia a few years ago and it was 28-30C most days but unbearable because of the 80% humidity. Couldn’t stand it. It was like being in a giant greenhouse. Much like summers in Queensland. Even in winter in Perth we get the beautiful blue skies and sunshine quite a lot of the time. I certainly don’t miss the weeks of miserable, drizzly cold grey winters in the UK. You only ever get a few days of gorgeous weather in the summer in the UK and it’s usually followed by massive downpours.
You aren't a farmer then. Believe it or not, the average Northern European will survive an average British winter and even in Ponta Delgada they see grey clouds and survive. Europeans who want non stop sunshine also don't have to spend a fortune or travel to the end of earth as you can buy an apartment or house around Alicante for less than 50K.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Apr 28th 2023 at 8:09 am. Reason: fix quote