Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding an old friend who may have emigrated to Australia

Finding an old friend who may have emigrated to Australia

Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding an old friend who may have emigrated to Australia

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Well, my back yard is an "area" too, so that doesn't help! According to Wikipedia, Teesside is a "conurbation" - although I can't imagine many people calling it that. With a population of only 300,000, I suppose I'd call it a town, if I lived there, if it doesn't have a cathedral anywhere within.
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It definitely isn't a town. It is a more general area and most Brits would be very well familiar with what area it refers to.
I agree with Bermudashorts, and would add that Teesside was one of several synthetic county/ government districts dreamed up in the 60's and 70's which in most cases were universally reviled and ridiculed, and many of which were subsequently dissolved and the prior county boundaries restored.

I am not aware that anyone would be please to admit that they lived in Teesside, any more than residents of Sheffield or Doncaster would admit to being from "South Yorkshire". At least it wasn't as bad as "Humberside", which tried to merge a big chunk of East Yorkshire with the northern end of Lincolnshire - but thankfully that was a county that was eliminated in 1996.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

can1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
There is an Ian Dawson on here in a group, down the page . I guess you would have no idea what he might have turned into but this bloke is to do with maritime engineering I think.

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au...rtrait_aew.pdf

There was also an Ian Dawson who apparently designed the steel work for the Shard in London - he was from Easington though which is a bit far afield but listening to him on the BBC was interesting!

I had a look at the White Pages and there were loads of I Dawsons even in WA alone but one Ian Dawson there, no idea about the other states where there might have been ship building - or he might have taken up surfing, who knows!!

Unfortunately there really isn't enough information to hazard even a vague guess, it's a pretty common name really.
Thank you Quoll for your link and information,I've downloaded the document and had a good look at the photograph,It could be him,but I'm not sure,as I haven't seen him in 40 yrs.Its a company newsletter from 2008,I suppose I could e-mail them,just to ask if he's british.Can I ask what are the white pages that you mentioned ?I will also have a look through them,maybe there is a profile photograph,you've been I big help,thank you again,fingers crossed eh !
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

The white Pages is the telephone book. Similar to UK Yellow Pages
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
The white Pages is the telephone book. Similar to UK Yellow Pages
Thanks jilliebee I'll have a look on line for them now.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 1:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You say his younger brother is Alan, there are two A Dawsons in the BT phone book in Stockton on Tees, wouldn't hurt to call them on the off chance one of them is the brother. Also there are only about 15 Dawsons listed, one or more could be relatives. I obviously don't know the streets of the estate but his parents could conceivably still live in the same house???? No harm in checking them out.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 1:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It definitely isn't a town. It is a more general area and most Brits would be very well familiar with what area it refers to.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 1:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by can1
Hi all thank you for your replies,Ian was from stockton on tees and attended Hardwick secondary school,it was at one of these reunions where his name was mentioned.He lived on hardwick estate in the early 70s and as far as I know he served his time as a plater,thank you.
Okey Dokey.

*toddles off to mooch around assorted sites like Ancestry*

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 16th 2016 at 1:45 am.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree with Bermudashorts, and would add that Teesside was one of several synthetic county/ government districts dreamed up in the 60's and 70's which in most cases were universally reviled and ridiculed, and many of which were subsequently dissolved and the prior county boundaries restored.

I am not aware that anyone would be please to admit that they lived in Teesside, any more than residents of Sheffield or Doncaster would admit to being from "South Yorkshire". At least it wasn't as bad as "Humberside", which tried to merge a big chunk of East Yorkshire with the northern end of Lincolnshire - but thankfully that was a county that was eliminated in 1996.
And the bloomin' awful "Merseyside". I was born in St.Helens, I'm a Lancashire lass born and bred. I will never be a "Merseysider", thank you very much.

Can't help with your search Can1 but I hope you find your friend.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Okey Dokey.

*toddles off to mooch around assorted sites like Ancestry*
Thanks Bevs I'II take a look at the Ancestry site.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
And the bloomin' awful "Merseyside". I was born in St.Helens, I'm a Lancashire lass born and bred. I will never be a "Merseysider", thank you very much.

Can't help with your search Can1 but I hope you find your friend.
Thanks vitalstatistix I'll keep searching.