Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding a New Home Down Under

Finding a New Home Down Under

Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future
Default Finding a New Home Down Under

Hi All,

Moving to Oz after selling up in the UK may give you emough to buy a new home in Oz.

Another option is renting....which is a major part of living around Sydney because of the cost of housing relevant to proximity of the CBD.
For those like us who came over on a Contributary Parent visa - and beyond working age, means we usually have to move away from city living....but near enough to drive into the city for weekends /holidays both ways.

We arrived 30th October 2008.... since then we have scoured everywhere north, south and west of Sydney and about 1.5 hours driving distance- or more.

We have seen all kinds of rentals... some very nice..if you can cope with the decor - which in most cases you cannot change..others ..I would not allow a dog into!

We looked at buying a place.... must be cash coz without income...no home loans/mortgage available.

We looked at some real s***holes and went in with the thought that...well at least we can do it up!

BUT.... after all these weeks, nothing to lease or buy seemed available.

To cut a long story ( and could get longer ) short, we missed out on a new build near Wollongong coz the builders agent/negotiator was a waste of space and seemed unwilling to sell us the house!

Driving back to Sydney SIL got on his iPhone and internet search..... now it gets shorter.

We found an house which seemed to tick the boxes - 1.5 hours or so out of Sydney, new build.....and we went to the agents on Tuesday this week. The one we wanted had gone already...but we found an even better house at just Aud$10k more.

4 beds, master en-suite, second bath and shower HUGE family room and living room with double garage. Enough garden and patio to keep anybody happy....built in 3000 ltr rain water tank..which makes a big saving on water bills.

So in many ways the Ozzie dream is getting better an dbetter....
Leasing/renting is dead money but if its your only option.... it can be daunting finding a place. Buying may not be an option unless you either come with enough funds or have a good job/jobs to finance the home loans.

We seem to have made a great buy.

Any of you CPV,s still looking for your dream home..near the kidz in Sydney...PM me for more info and I 'll let you know how our search went on in full detail.

Hoping all the ones who are over here doing Christmas in the sun and those just setting out on the visa trail...all have GREAT Christmas despite all financial gloom.....

Dreams really can come true....
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future
Default Re: Finding a New Home Down Under

Originally Posted by mi5agent
Hi All,

Moving to Oz after selling up in the UK may give you emough to buy a new home in Oz.

Another option is renting....which is a major part of living around Sydney because of the cost of housing relevant to proximity of the CBD.
For those like us who came over on a Contributary Parent visa - and beyond working age, means we usually have to move away from city living....but near enough to drive into the city for weekends /holidays both ways.

We arrived 30th October 2008.... since then we have scoured everywhere north, south and west of Sydney and about 1.5 hours driving distance- or more.

We have seen all kinds of rentals... some very nice..if you can cope with the decor - which in most cases you cannot change..others ..I would not allow a dog into!

We looked at buying a place.... must be cash coz without income...no home loans/mortgage available.

We looked at some real s***holes and went in with the thought that...well at least we can do it up!

BUT.... after all these weeks, nothing to lease or buy seemed available.

To cut a long story ( and could get longer ) short, we missed out on a new build near Wollongong coz the builders agent/negotiator was a waste of space and seemed unwilling to sell us the house!

Driving back to Sydney SIL got on his iPhone and internet search..... now it gets shorter.

We found an house which seemed to tick the boxes - 1.5 hours or so out of Sydney, new build.....and we went to the agents on Tuesday this week. The one we wanted had gone already...but we found an even better house at just Aud$10k more.

4 beds, master en-suite, second bath and shower HUGE family room and living room with double garage. Enough garden and patio to keep anybody happy....built in 3000 ltr rain water tank..which makes a big saving on water bills.

So in many ways the Ozzie dream is getting better an dbetter....
Leasing/renting is dead money but if its your only option.... it can be daunting finding a place. Buying may not be an option unless you either come with enough funds or have a good job/jobs to finance the home loans.

We seem to have made a great buy.

Any of you CPV,s still looking for your dream home..near the kidz in Sydney...PM me for more info and I 'll let you know how our search went on in full detail.

Hoping all the ones who are over here doing Christmas in the sun and those just setting out on the visa trail...all have GREAT Christmas despite all financial gloom.....

Dreams really can come true....

Sorry, forgot to mention...you need to be PR to buy (any one of a couple is OK) AND currently there is a AUD$24000 grant [colletively ] from Ausie Government and No Stamp Duty, for "first time buyers" ...making a mega saving - or adding to your buying power. £150K will buy you a 4 bed 2 showers/baths, double garage large family room...the works!
It took us 8 weeks and 5000 km driving around to eventually find our place!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

It would be great to know where this house is - why is it a secret?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry, forgot to mention...you need to be PR to buy (any one of a couple is OK) AND currently there is a AUD$24000 grant [colletively ] from Ausie Government and No Stamp Duty, for "first time buyers" ...making a mega saving - or adding to your buying power. £150K will buy you a 4 bed 2 showers/baths, double garage large family room...the works!
It took us 8 weeks and 5000 km driving around to eventually find our place!
You *can* buy if you're on a 457 Temp Visa - there are more restrictions (like having to get the OK from the FIRB and having to have a larger deposit than if you were PR) but it's definitely doable.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NickyC
It would be great to know where this house is - why is it a secret?
Not so much a secret.....I reckon BE will only delete any links - hence if you are interested and looking to buy...PM, if not ..you dont really want to know anything!

I am not an MI5 Agent for nothing...... nod nod wink wink....know wot ah mean
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Not so much a secret.....I reckon BE will only delete any links - hence if you are interested and looking to buy...PM, if not ..you dont really want to know anything!

People often post links to houses they've bought and that's fine - they don't get deleted by the Mods and people on the other side get an insight into what's available here.

If, however, the link is to advertise your business, then it most likely WILL get deleted.

In any case I'm not particularly interested in looking at any links - but I am interested in the name of decent areas 1.5 hours from Sydney where nice houses can be bought at reasonable prices (as are lots of other people on here, no doubt). If you don't want to name the area, I guess we will all just have to draw our own conclusions about your motives ....
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NickyC
People often post links to houses they've bought and that's fine - they don't get deleted by the Mods and people on the other side get an insight into what's available here.

If, however, the link is to advertise your business, then it most likely WILL get deleted.

In any case I'm not particularly interested in looking at any links - but I am interested in the name of decent areas 1.5 hours from Sydney where nice houses can be bought at reasonable prices (as are lots of other people on here, no doubt). If you don't want to name the area, I guess we will all just have to draw our own conclusions about your motives ....
Wow, Nice to meet a genuine cynic.....do you ever find an half empty glass near you?

My mistake was, the post was intended for others like me on the CPV thread ... but I thought it may be moved to the general forum thread...

For your records.....I dont have any interest in or work for the builders... if you had read the post, with an open mind you will have noticed I have been in Oz 8 weeks!
I also wrote that most of the eight weeks has been spent looking for houses.

My few posts dont give me the same experience on forum as your mutliple thousands of posts ( got no TV)

Draw whatever conclusions you like...

There may be lots of people interested........but none as replied...... maybe your cynical comments have put them off a good deal... well done mate, Merry Christmas........bah humbug did I hear you say!

Last edited by mi5agent; Dec 22nd 2008 at 7:59 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

But it was your own quote along with the strange reluctance to give any specific details that made me think you had a hidden agenda!

If you don't have any links to any business, then that's absolutely fine. But you surely can't be surprised that people will think it's kind of odd that you should post in such detail about your search yet are only prepared to name the area via PM?