Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding IT Jobs in Aust more specifically in Sydney

Finding IT Jobs in Aust more specifically in Sydney

Old Jun 1st 2003, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

You will find that the recruitment business in the Uk has changed over recent years, whilst once the Uk had a similar problem with adverts for jobs that do not exist! I now belive its against the Law in the UK for agency's to do this and against legistation that was formed in 1999, this is because they must confine to ATSCO rullings if they advertise Technology jobs.
You are having a laugh, UK agents advertise jobs in the contract arena that do not excist. How they get around the ruling I dont know. I have two mates in recruitment and they confirm it, an agengcy looks bad if they have no contracts advertised, also both would sell their Grannies for a quick quid.
In any case most of these admin jobs can / could be done remotely in Asia for a fraction of the cost.
Meglamania is spot on with that, because its exactly whats happened here.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Don't expect the agencies to do it all for you. You'd receive the same reaction in the UK if you were 'offshore' looking to work here. Unless you are working for a pan-global name or an Aussie company, then alot of your career history will mean little in Australia.

Take charge of things yourself - make sure you fully understand the local recruitment methods and be innovotive. You've not just got to compete with the local labour market, you've got to be BETTER.

Questions to ask yourself:
- How do employers typically recruit for my type of role? Do they, for example, use local Researchers, and if so who are they?
- DO Venture Capital firms get involved in the recruitment process? If so who are the major players in my particular field? How can I contact them?
- What information do they need? For example, you'll need far more information on your CV than in the UK - and references will come into play much earlier.
- How can I present myself 'differently'? For example, have you thought about preparing a short video profile and e-mailing that along with your CV

Hope this helps

Kev
Old Jun 1st 2003, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by m_labib
Dear all,

Thank you for all the responses but I find them so pesimistic . IS it really that difficult , as the Aust economy is doing good and lots of new investors are coming into to OZ, which means new establishment thus more IT jobs.

I would like to know if anyone who is working in the Network and Databases Admin field, who already moved to Sydney is still looking into this forum, to adv. in details, how long did it take him to find a job. As any new immigrant will definitly no contacts over there and the only thing one can do is to hunt jobs thru agencies or Newspapers ads.
Hi,

We have been in Sydney for over a year now. My hubby is in IT and after reading these posts I feel very lucky to have such a dynamic husband. When we first got here, he decided to spend a few months upgrading all his mcse exams so he done that and also is a master cne. I think what they like here is experience. My husband has 13 years experience in very diverse areas of IT and in the UK worked for a large corporation, which included a lot of work in France, which i think is what they like here. Most of the agencies he sent his cv to were impressed and within 2 weeks he had 3 interviews all of which wanted him so he could choose. Now that was a year ago so not sure what its like now, but last November one of the agencies (haysIT) phoned him up out of the blue and offered him another contract which was supposed to be for 3 months but he is still working there and they are keen to offer him a permanent position when the project is finished. I must add though that both the contracts were/are for a government department and what we have heard is that once they take you on they tend to keep you, so we are very lucky indeed.

On the other hand, a freind of my husbands who is a lot younger and only has 4 years IT experience in just one field, has been out of work for 8 months and now only has 18 days to find an IT job or he will have to leave (something to do with him being sponsored in and that company making him redundant, therefore sponsorship no longer stands).

Mandy

www.thebalefamily.com