Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding a job (should I stay or should I go)

Finding a job (should I stay or should I go)

Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job (should I stay or should I go)

[QUOTE=Zoran;4576826]That’s all. In my opinion, it’s normal to contact a PR visa holder, even if not in Australia, if his/her resume is better then resumes of those in Australia.
Sounds logical?

I got a reply from an agency this morning. This is the interesting part: ;-)

Thank you for your application for the position of System Engineer. All
our vacancies require the applicants to have minimum the last 2 years
Australian experience and have a valid work visa for Australia.

So after you move they inform you that you’re missing Australian experience. BTW, there is no such thing, at least not in IT business.
How could possibly Australian experience be different from European experience, and it’s about managing systems made by the US companies?!?!?!?!
QUOTE]

Australian experience is very different than European experience. It means you are familiar with the labour laws as they pertain to Australia, that you understand the way an Australian employer operates and that you have references from an Australian employer.

And while it may sound logical to you to contact a PR holder whether they are in the country or not, it's simply put not the way things are done here. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Unless you are Bill Gates they don't care who you are or what you can do unless you can provide Australian references and addresses.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:54 am
Respect My Authority!

Zoran is an unknown quantity at this point

I understood that clearly, but it means the new migrants are in big troubles.
I think I can’t provide Australian references, before I get a job in Australia. :-) (problem no. 1 – an endless loop?)

I would really appreciate if you could explain this a little bit more.
“Australian experience is very different than European experience. It means you are familiar with the labour laws as they pertain to Australia, that you understand the way an Australian employer operates and that you have references from an Australian employer.”

It means that a system/network administrator/engineer can’t get a job without knowing “labour laws”?
Is this it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workchoices
I should start learning it ASAP. ;-)

What do you mean by “how an employer operates”? Please put some light on this one too.

Thanks
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Zoran
OK guys, I think we don't understand each other very well.

I know employers want this and that, me too, but if they need a person with extensive experience, reliable, independent professional (can solve problems with no external help – one phone call to Microsoft for troubleshooting help costs 250 US$), who worked for well known employers (it’s about the level of quality of service expected) and so on, then such employers need to dig a bit deeper. I talked to a guy who works for an IT recruiting agency in Toronto and he says: We sometimes advertise on the Monster, receive 300+ apps, 5-10 of which are worth looking at, the rest is like SPAM, delete, delete…

I also think we should not mix employers and agencies.

Check this thread http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=683232

The desirable length of a CV is a relative thing. I made the first page of several parts:
personal data, brief experience header, education. The following pages are details (believe me it’s not that detailed) of my work experience. It’s enough to read the first page and see if I’m what they are looking for.

And it's a resume, not a cv (buahhh), learnt it yesterday :-) http://www.career.vt.edu/JOBSEARC/Resumes/vitae.htm

Anyway, I am really thankful to all of you for sharing your experience.
Still have no clue what to do… :-) Maybe I should concentrate more on spiders/snakes issues.
CV/Resume same thing i'm afraid just different terminology.

I for one wouldn't read through a 7 page CV/Resume as its just too long. 2 pages max and as long as it is clear and concise and straight to the point then you should have no problems.

There are jobs in Australia for IT people it really just depends on exactly what you are looking for.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:37 am
Addicted Member

Contact Lensed Optimist will become famous soon enough

Hello folks,

We are feeling a little wobbly about this issue two. My OH half and I know that life will be different when we land in Oz. We will both be leaving jobs we love in the UK and are coming to terms and accepting the fact we will be completely starting all over again. If we are lucky enough to get jobs initially, it seems unlikely to be at a level equal with our experience, qualifications, salary or even within the same disciplines in the short term (IT & HR respectively). However with three young children under 7 yrs and no friends or relatives nearby, we have decided to embrace all things OZ and go with the flow. We know things will be rough in the short term, but we are confident that once we are immersed in the aussie way of life, these differences will be a distant memory. In essence, this forum has been invaluable in providing advice and guidance and so here is a big thank you from us to all of you We will still be scared but not enough to give up are dreams. But thanks to you folks we will be going with our eyes wide open, as well as our minds.

xx C.L.O.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Contact Lensed Optimist
Hello folks,

We are feeling a little wobbly about this issue two. My OH half and I know that life will be different when we land in Oz. We will both be leaving jobs we love in the UK and are coming to terms and accepting the fact we will be completely starting all over again. If we are lucky enough to get jobs initially, it seems unlikely to be at a level equal with our experience, qualifications, salary or even within the same disciplines in the short term (IT & HR respectively). However with three young children under 7 yrs and no friends or relatives nearby, we have decided to embrace all things OZ and go with the flow. We know things will be rough in the short term, but we are confident that once we are immersed in the aussie way of life, these differences will be a distant memory. In essence, this forum has been invaluable in providing advice and guidance and so here is a big thank you from us to all of you We will still be scared but not enough to give up are dreams. But thanks to you folks we will be going with our eyes wide open, as well as our minds.

xx C.L.O.
Good luck C.L.O. We are just starting out on the long road to Oz. Hubby is in IT as well. Good pay, nice house, nice car but 4 hours travel to London and back every day, in bed by 10pm, no time to play with kids 14mths and 12 years! No really quality of life. So decided enough was enough settled on Brisbane and got the ball rolling. Hope to be there in about 14-15 months... boy will that drag
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:56 am
Addicted Member

Contact Lensed Optimist will become famous soon enough

Thank you TMRE

The process does take a while, but each step is exciting and nerve wracking in itself. You are both investing in a new future together which will hopefully help you both cope in the interim.

Sending you tons of positive karma,

C.L.O.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:47 am
Just Joined

LazarD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Zoran,

Suppose, you are from RS or FBiH? I would like to talk to you, since we are heading to the same country and we have similar occupation.

If you like to chat: [email protected]

I am available on mail.google.com till 15:00 ( G-talk )

Best regards (razgovarajmo na lokalnom jeziku)
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

laidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the rough

Hi Zoran, I've just been cruising round oz the last 4 or 5 months (I work in IT too) I've been looking at careerone and seek for jobs sent in my cv for a few speclative roles just to see how my cv stacked up.... and got a phone call within 30 mins pretty much for everything I'd applied for.... I had doent eh same prior to coming out with pretty much NO resposne...
I had a friend come over about3 years back and he got a job withing 2 weeks of getting here....
my advice would be get on a plane ASAP and once youve got an ozzie phone number and address I think you'll find the hit rate imrpoving...
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:36 am
Just Joined

LazarD is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Finding a job (should I stay or should I go)

Originally Posted by laidbackfreak
Hi Zoran, I've just been cruising round oz the last 4 or 5 months (I work in IT too) I've been looking at careerone and seek for jobs sent in my cv for a few speclative roles just to see how my cv stacked up.... and got a phone call within 30 mins pretty much for everything I'd applied for.... I had doent eh same prior to coming out with pretty much NO resposne...
I had a friend come over about3 years back and he got a job withing 2 weeks of getting here....
my advice would be get on a plane ASAP and once youve got an ozzie phone number and address I think you'll find the hit rate imrpoving...
Please, Got more info? IT is a pretty big field.
Developers? Support? Consultants? Trainers? Engineers? Managers?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 2:33 pm
Respect My Authority!

Zoran is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lazar, I sent you a message.

LBF, thanks for the info. I'm sure that's correct and exactly what I’m going to do in a month or 2. Just was curious to read what other people found out and experienced. I understand that it would be crazy to contact anyone 25 000 km away if you can find the same one in your neighborhood, but if you can’t … I found people who were paid a ticked just to come over for an interview. Found a girl who told me that such a procedure is quite normal in the company where she works and so on. So, it’s not just black and white. Also, found a lot of info about how agencies work and how they see the whole thing. There are at least 5 good ones, specialized in hiring IT guys, and one should stick to them, the rest is …

Thank you all and cheers.

Zoran