Reload this Page >

Finding the first job in Australia

Finding the first job in Australia

Old Nov 13th 2013, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Bizkut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding the first job in Australia

Hi,

I thought it would be interesting to here from other people, who have obtained a VISA, about their job searching experiences.

In my case, I validated my VISA in August, and settled in Sydney. I'm an electronic engineer with railway experience (and I'd say a relatively good CV). After 3 months of searching, I'm still without a job (I don't even get interview opportunities).

Talking to recruiters, I get:

Anyone went through the same? How did you overcome it?
        Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:55 am
        Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
        Default Re: Finding the first job in Australia

To the three points in particular.

Slow market is a slow market, there is not much you can do about that.

I have only ever heard about this local experience on BE to be honest. Never heard it myself when I first got my visa and I have never heard it since either, I have found the UK CVs to be very well received since I moved here, practically a cause for celebration when one lands on the desk. I was partially convinced this "local experience" thing was a complete myth.

Third point, very simple. Don't apply for junior roles. I think this is the downfall of many and hard to undo in a small market. Aim high. Always. If you aim low, you will look like you are not sure of yourself. Start again with new recruiters and aim high this time.
        Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:03 am
        BE Enthusiast

peaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
        To the three points in particular.

Slow market is a slow market, there is not much you can do about that.

I have only ever heard about this local experience on BE to be honest. Never heard it myself when I first got my visa and I have never heard it since either, I have found the UK CVs to be very well received since I moved here, practically a cause for celebration when one lands on the desk. I was partially convinced this "local experience" thing was a complete myth.

Third point, very simple. Don't apply for junior roles. I think this is the downfall of many and hard to undo in a small market. Aim high. Always. If you aim low, you will look like you are not sure of yourself. Start again with new recruiters and aim high this time.
        Well said.

Cheers,
        PB
        Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:27 pm
        Forum Regular

tevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant futuretevta has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bizkut
        Hi,

I thought it would be interesting to here from other people, who have obtained a VISA, about their job searching experiences.

In my case, I validated my VISA in August, and settled in Sydney. I'm an electronic engineer with railway experience (and I'd say a relatively good CV). After 3 months of searching, I'm still without a job (I don't even get interview opportunities).

Talking to recruiters, I get:

Anyone went through the same? How did you overcome it?
              I have dropped my CV to many recruiters online while being overseas, and haven't still got any response whatsoever. Moreover I'm not imagining to get it for cheap even after landing in Australia. I guess alternate rout might be to improve your qualifications from Australia and then take a chance. Surprisingly I was just going through the contents of a masters degree program in my domain and it was all about Australia like Australian landscapes, their codes, practices, acts, architecture etc which gave me a fair bit of idea that Australians might not be willing to recruit people with foreign experience and qualifications.
              Old Nov 22nd 2013, 1:14 am
              Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light

diversify!!! have a crack at something else whilst the opportunity arises retrain in something similar whilst you wait ........ open a bakery! I love pies
              Old Nov 22nd 2013, 7:09 am
              Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

i just think its down to it being slow at the moment.

I was lucky to have a job when i got over here so i didnt have to do any searching
              but
              i have noticed that there is not much going on.. and when i moved to my new role.. it took 6 months of looking to find it ( fortunate;y i was still with the previous contract, although it was winding up at the end)

so its just bad timing.. the it might get better next year.. well i suspect thats just wishful thinking.. along with.. as soon as we have the election we will see things moving again
              so no doubt in the new year it will be.. well its easter before we will see anything.. then ah hopefully june.. mid year start of the next financial year will be the ticket.. etc

hang in there.. send your cv to all and sundry and something will pop up