Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding first house in a new land you want to make your home..

Wikiposts

Finding first house in a new land you want to make your home..

Old May 24th 2004, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

sid1104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding first house in a new land you want to make your home..

How will I get to rent a house in OZ.. as I understand you need to have references in OZ.. and I don’t have anybody I know in OZ.

Just coming there.. will make friends.. but how do I rent my first house without any references..

Will I be able to find an apartment in around 100-150$ per week?

BTW, what is CBD
Old May 24th 2004, 11:19 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finding first house in a new land you want to make your home..

Originally posted by sid1104
How will I get to rent a house in OZ.. as I understand you need to have references in OZ.. and I don’t have anybody I know in OZ.

Just coming there.. will make friends.. but how do I rent my first house without any references..

BTW, what is CBD
Sorry can't really help with your first question sid.

CBD = Central Business District
Old May 24th 2004, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

BTW, what is CBD

Hopefully you will be able to show them a bank statement with lots of $$$ on it, and/or offer to pay a few months in advance. That seems to have worked for others and should get over the no references bit.

Re apt for $100-$150 - that depends on where you are planning to live. Try http://www.domain.com.au/ should give you a good idea
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Sid,
You need to take your referances with you, from whover you pay rent/mortgage to now.
This will confirm that you are a regular payer.
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, what is CBD
just bring loads of bills, bank statements, mortgage statements and anything else u can think of. your police check is a good one too. we rented a house on the second week here. we brought all our old bills from the uk. they were really happy with all the info we had. they told us , the more we had from the uk the better and easier it was.
hope this helps. where are u hoping to live?
Old May 24th 2004, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

sid1104 is an unknown quantity at this point

I plan to go to Brisbane or Sydney..

Will see where I can find suitable work..

Will rent reciepts from India do.. I am staying in this house for the last 4 years.,. and can get a letter from my landlord that I've been paying monthly rent on time..
Old May 25th 2004, 12:05 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Will rent reciepts from India do.. I am staying in this house for the last 4 years.,. and can get a letter from my landlord that I've been paying monthly rent on time..
yes, bring both. it will be hard to get a place in sydney for that price, but im sure there is a few about.
good luck

soapy
Old May 25th 2004, 12:35 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

I've also heard if you open up an account with the commonwealth bank before you go they will also give you a reference once you get out there...anyone else heard of this?

Sasha
Old May 25th 2004, 8:13 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by snappy
I've also heard if you open up an account with the commonwealth bank before you go they will also give you a reference once you get out there...anyone else heard of this?

Sasha
I think all the banks do. Getting a letter of intro was the second thing we did and it was used 6 times in two days!
Old May 25th 2004, 7:21 pm
Master of verbal pish©

on the day we arrived in sydney we decided to change some money. we walked into the comm/bank. we got to know the teller and became good friends. she told us that last week a couple came in, to open an account. the were in a hurry because they had to get to the estate agent and pay 6 months in advance rent. the teller nearly had a fit and gave them a letter. they returned about an hour later to tell her they only had to pay 4 weeks in advace now. so either before or after u arrive. make sure u open an account.

saopy
Old May 25th 2004, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

$150 per week won't even get you a 1 bedroom bedsit in Brissy, unless you try the poorer areas miles from the CBD.

As for Sydney you'd be lucky to rent a toilet for $150 a week.

Your best bet is to go for a room in a house share, $100 should eaisly get you your own room in Brissy, but in Sydney it going to cost you about $150 or more.
Old May 25th 2004, 10:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
$150 per week won't even get you a 1 bedroom bedsit in Brissy, unless you try the poorer areas miles from the CBD.

As for Sydney you'd be lucky to rent a toilet for $150 a week.

Your best bet is to go for a room in a house share, $100 should eaisly get you your own room in Brissy, but in Sydney it going to cost you about $150 or more.
a 3 bed cheap house in my area outside brisbane gets $240 pw

but for $150 near sydney, you can get a 2 bed granny flat, with toilet but that is way out west, 90 min each way travel to the city.

Old May 25th 2004, 10:43 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
a 3 bed cheap house in my area outside brisbane gets $240 pw

but for $150 near sydney, you can get a 2 bed granny flat, with toilet but that is way out west, 90 min each way travel to the city.
ah, but im sure the granny comes with the flat too