Reload this Page >

Finding apartments in OZ

Finding apartments in OZ

Old Oct 12th 2005, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

tibidabo will become famous soon enough
Default Finding apartments in OZ

Hi,

I am wondering what is the best way to find the first apartment to live in OZ?
Is there any reasonably priced place to live for short term in Sydney until you find your long term solution?
Is it possible to rent an apartment advertised on the Internet before you go, (especially for short term)?
What are the rules for renting? Do you have to sign a 6-12 month contract or is it usually flexible?
How pays the commission for the agent and how much?

I am newbie in this field, so any advise is welcomed.

Cheers,

TB
Old Oct 12th 2005, 5:56 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding apartments in OZ

Originally Posted by tibidabo
Hi,

Is there any reasonably priced place to live for short term in Sydney until you find your long term solution?
Is it possible to rent an apartment advertised on the Internet before you go, (especially for short term)?
What are the rules for renting? Do you have to sign a 6-12 month contract or is it usually flexible?

Cheers,

TB
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...ch?a=bhp&t=ren
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Hi,

Cheers,

TB
Unlike in England I think the owner of the property pays the Agents fees...!! Hopefully someone can confirm if this is indeed the case.

SS
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:53 am
vor
Forum Regular

vor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Unlike in England I think the owner of the property pays the Agents fees...!! Hopefully someone can confirm if this is indeed the case.

SS

If you go through an agency then you usually have to pay a small contract fee. The initial lease is for a fixed term (6 or 12 months) and then just continues with one months notice.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers,

TB
Try www.thegumtree.com
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

There are loads of places out there that you can rent short term. Take ours at www.northperthrentals.com. We lease for as little as one night!!!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Finding apartments in OZ

Hi,

Cheers,

TB
One advantage you will find in Australia is that the tenant only pays rent and utilities; the landlord pays your council tax and water rates.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

tibidabo will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Finding apartments in OZ

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Hi There,

Thanks for the replies!

thegumtree looks pretty good, for the beginning.

I need something for a couple of weeks, because I don't want to rent something without seeing it first.

Cheers, TV
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:18 am
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
One advantage you will find in Australia is that the tenant only pays rent and utilities; the landlord pays your council tax and water rates.
Not the case for us, we rent from Raine and Horne and we have to pay for excess water, the owner only contributes towards the water bill as we have sprinklers that run off the mains.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Finding apartments in OZ

Originally Posted by Emzee
Not the case for us, we rent from Raine and Horne and we have to pay for excess water, the owner only contributes towards the water bill as we have sprinklers that run off the mains.
Excess water and water bill is a standard requirement; it's still not the same as paying water rates and council tax, as tenants do in the UK.