Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

Old May 14th 2008, 6:02 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

Originally Posted by Hutch
Before I emigrated there were several doom-and-gloomers on this forum who said, "Yea, just wait till you get here and then you'll change your tune." Well guess what, I'm still singing the same tune. Just because it sucks for you, doesn't mean it'll suck for everyone.
You and me both.

Buzzy
Old May 14th 2008, 6:06 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

That sort of advice has always puzzled me. Why shouldn't they? It's advice that's no better than those "What have you got to lose, go for it posts."

Before I emigrated there were several doom-and-gloomers on this forum who said, "Yea, just wait till you get here and then you'll change your tune." Well guess what, I'm still singing the same tune. Just because it sucks for you, doesn't mean it'll suck for everyone. Just because it's great for me, doesn't mean it'll be great for everybody. Ultimately, every single one of us took a ****ing big gamble - for some the gamble paid off, for others it didn't, but there's no way of knowing until you actually do it.

Yes but try to imagine the other scenario, you were lucky, what if you had given up everything back home, got here and found it didn't suit. Surely you can understand the flip side to the argument. Just because you didn't step in dog doo's doesn't follow that we should all not look where we are walking.
Old May 14th 2008, 6:07 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
No you don't have to rough it just because you didn't sell everything lock stock and barrel. Use the rent from your house and any income from your business and rent here instead for a while. Find out if you truely fit here before burning all your bridges.

I sold everything, and for the life of me I don't know why I made such a stupid mistake. From memory I seem to recall thinking something daft like 'if I sell everything and start in Oz with a clean slate I will have to make it work' And things like 'Well there's no going back now'

Regardless of all this probably ignored advice, with the odds of going back somewhere between 25% and 50% depending on who you ask, those odds are still not good. Would you stick your house and business on a single spin of a roulette wheel with it all on a 3 to 1 bet, I think not, so why do we expats do it with our lives in the UK?

No harm in playing it safe, I wish I had and probably most other returnees too.
Guess what? Not all us have a house and business for that to be an option. Those that do should be bloody grateful - and Yes some of us are going to have to rough it because we are selling everything as that is all we have.

You cant rent out the house if you need the money from the sale to bloody get out there!
Old May 14th 2008, 6:08 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

And why the hell shouldn't they?
Never said they shouldn't, but i do think it is a bad time at the mo.

Last edited by Nu-Shooz; May 14th 2008 at 6:11 am.
Old May 14th 2008, 6:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You and me both.

Buzzy
You, and him, and me three.
Old May 14th 2008, 6:16 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
Guess what? Not all us have a house and business for that to be an option. Those that do should be bloody grateful - and Yes some of us are going to have to rough it because we are selling everything as that is all we have.

You cant rent out the house if you need the money from the sale to bloody get out there!
That might be your situation, but my advice is for people like the OP. If you need to sell your house to pay for the plane ticket to get here then I think the cost of living here is going to be a tough pill to swallow. I just hope anyone in this position lands here on their feet with a job all lined up.
Old May 14th 2008, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by markallwood
Come on.... if you had been planning a move over here for 3 or 4 years, and then suddenly it looks like a less attractive prospect, I'm sure you'd be a bit annoyed too.
That's life though you have no control over global economics so why get all upset about it. Just get on with life if you can't adapt to these changes then you are sure to have problems adapting to a new country. And by the way I have most of my assets in the UK ~£400K so I am well aware that on paper it looks like a big loss but I just don't care my lifestyle is much better over here than it was in the UK. Just get a job and start again that's what I have been doing for the last 2.5 years.
Old May 14th 2008, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by And Van Isla
HAS THERE EVER BEEN A WORSE TIME TO IMMIGRATE TO AUSTRALIA FINANCIALLY?

SINCE DECEMBER 2007 25% HAS BEEN LOST IN THE CURRENCY CONVERSION (FROM 2.5 TO 2). ADD TO THIS THE 5 TO 10% WE MAY LOSE ON HOUSE VALUES IN THE UK (ACCORDING TO BEST CASE SCENARIO GOVERNMENT PREDICTIONS LEAKED TODAY).

THEREFORE THE AVERAGE UK HOME OWNER SELLING UP AND MOVING TO AUS TODAY WILL BE TAKING OUT AS MUCH AS 30% LESS THEN IF THEY LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS AGO.

ALSO, FOR THOSE LEAVING FOR OZ IN DEC 08, IF THE POUND LOSES ITS VALUE AGAINST THE AUSSIE AT THE SAME RATE AS THE LAST 5 MONTHS (AND THERE IS NO REASON WHY NOT) IT COULD EASILY BE A 60% LOSS IN MONEY THEN 12 MONTHS EARLIER.

MY WIFE AND I HAVE OUR HOUSE ON THE MARKET AND WANT TO SELL SO WE CAN LEAVE IN DECEMBER AS WE HAVE JUST BEEN GRANTED OUR VISAS. I AM ABSOLUTELY SICKENED TO SEE THE CURRENT ECONOMIC SITUATION FOR THE LIKES OF US AND IT WILL HURT US AND OUR PLANS BIG TIME.
Easy for me to say but try not to get too hung up on fluctuations in the Exchange Rate . Over the years 2.5 is well above average for the rate to be so you are using a fairly high figure to compare with. There is nothing to suggest that it will get worse , 6 months is a long time . I'd also be taking the usual advise of only transferring what you need to get you started. Renting for a minimum of 6 months when you get over is a pretty sensible thing to do anyway irrespective of the Exchange rates.
Old May 14th 2008, 6:45 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

That sort of advice has always puzzled me. Why shouldn't they? It's advice that's no better than those "What have you got to lose, go for it posts."

Before I emigrated there were several doom-and-gloomers on this forum who said, "Yea, just wait till you get here and then you'll change your tune." Well guess what, I'm still singing the same tune. Just because it sucks for you, doesn't mean it'll suck for everyone. Just because it's great for me, doesn't mean it'll be great for everybody. Ultimately, every single one of us took a ****ing big gamble - for some the gamble paid off, for others it didn't, but there's no way of knowing until you actually do it.

Absolutely right.
it's good to hear other people's stories but none of us really know whether it will be right for us.
I have friends who landed in Perth 3 years ago and have never looked back.
They rented out their house in the U.K and are now trying to sell it.
Equally I have read lot of stories about people who haven't settled.
Which will we be? Who knows
Old May 14th 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

[QUOTE=And Van Isla;6345126]HAS THERE EVER BEEN A WORSE TIME TO IMMIGRATE TO AUSTRALIA FINANCIALLY?

SINCE DECEMBER 2007 25% HAS BEEN LOST IN THE CURRENCY CONVERSION (FROM 2.5 TO 2). ADD TO THIS THE 5 TO 10% WE MAY LOSE ON HOUSE VALUES IN THE UK (ACCORDING TO BEST CASE SCENARIO GOVERNMENT PREDICTIONS LEAKED TODAY).

THEREFORE THE AVERAGE UK HOME OWNER SELLING UP AND MOVING TO AUS TODAY WILL BE TAKING OUT AS MUCH AS 30% LESS THEN IF THEY LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS AGO.

ALSO, FOR THOSE LEAVING FOR OZ IN DEC 08, IF THE POUND LOSES ITS VALUE AGAINST THE AUSSIE AT THE SAME RATE AS THE LAST 5 MONTHS (AND THERE IS NO REASON WHY NOT) IT COULD EASILY BE A 60% LOSS IN MONEY THEN 12 MONTHS EARLIER.

Hi,

I know where you are coming from we are heading over in Nov.

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but the property market over there is heading the same way. And this said by a Ray White estate agent on a moment of unusual sincerity over the phone. Also but I'm not sure how true this is acording to Hifx they are expecting a improvement in sterling before the end of the year.

hope it makes you feel better, try not to get stresses, lol.

Karma sent.
Old May 14th 2008, 7:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waldo99
2?
Old May 14th 2008, 7:15 am
ann
Forum Regular

ann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really nice

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Come off it Ann doesn't rain 24/7. Personally best thing I ever did leaving Teesside but only needed to move 30 miles down A19 to find a better life.
Hope Aus is all you expect it be to as you've built quite high expectations

To OP, don't have a house to sell, not sure why everyone on here moans on about not being able to sell homes that are vastly over priced so won't be able to take tens of thousands of pounds to Aus with them. We're saving up the hard way and will manage with what we have as we've got no other choice. Exchange rate well still 2 to 1 so not an issue will have enough to cover us for 6 months.
OHG, Where in Teesside? from Ingleby Barwick.
Old May 14th 2008, 7:18 am
Mrs Angry!

debbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud of

For goodness sake, for those who think that life in Oz is going to be too much like hard work, then DONT do it.

For those who want to try and improve their quality of life....GO FOR IT and good luck to you all.

There is enough doom and gloom at the moment and what people want to hear to positive stories to give them a lift....
Old May 14th 2008, 7:25 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but try to imagine the other scenario, you were lucky, what if you had given up everything back home, got here and found it didn't suit. Surely you can understand the flip side to the argument. Just because you didn't step in dog doo's doesn't follow that we should all not look where we are walking.
I did acknowledge the flip-side in my post, when I said, "Just because it's great for me, doesn't mean it'll be great for everybody."
Old May 14th 2008, 7:38 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann
YES I AGREE

BUT.......We are all in the same situation, just think of the main reasons you want to go in the first place. would you like to be skint in the UK where it rains 24/7, 365 or be skint in the sun & cooling off in the sea. keep you chin up x
Oh dear......

A word of advice from a burnt ex-pat. Dont sell your house and business. You have been warned. Rent the house out, and find some way of just having a sabatical from your work.
I'm with you on this P, OH and I both wish to God we'd not sold up entirely, even after 11 years.

To OP, when we came here inflation was high, interest rates were 15% and the exchange rate was $1.96 to the £, so yes, there has been a worse time to migrate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.