Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A financial query

A financial query

Old Sep 12th 2003, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Craig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really nice
Default A financial query

Hi, We are all booked and paid for to head off to Oz at Christmas for 6 weeks. With a view to moving over there within the following 12 months. Found alot of very useful info whilst browsing the forum, many thanks. However we have one financial query. After selling house, cars etc. We estimate we may still be in the red by about £10,000. Will this affect entry requirements. (Which are otherwise OK because Samantha is a Nurse, and has job offers already, we also have close family in Melbourne). And how will it affect our chances of a mortgage in the long term. Sorry this was a bit long winded ( 1st time on forum). Will be shorter and sweeter in future. Many thanks.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 1:02 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, having no money will affect your immigration application since it questions your finances.
This is because the government has to ensure that you are not going to put yourself in the position of being a burden on the country.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi Craig and sam
Well when filled in our forms our agent said just put a figure in the box , because it doesnt matter how much you have , all they want to know is lets say you say im taking in20 tousand pounds , you get there and blow it all then go and try and claim benefits , the first thing they will do is look at your application to see how much you bought into the country , and will then ask for proof of what you have spent your money on . We entered with only a tiny amount so i cant see how it will affect you by having hardly any . They never asked for proof of what we put in the box and when we actually sold the house etc , we took less than was put on the form . Make some enquireies if i was you !!
Joanne
Old Sep 13th 2003, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Oh and we dont claim benefits , we work hard , even though we have nothing , we are still happy as a family !!!!! Never been a burden on any country .
Joanne
Old Sep 13th 2003, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I worry that we haven't got enough money to see us through, but after reading your posts, feel a lot better to think that you can still manage if you go out with very little. Maybe it is our age.
Its nice to see that people take the bull by the horns and still give it a go, even if they don't have money to back them up.
I wish you all the best.

Whisky
Old Sep 13th 2003, 8:00 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi there,
this is an interesting topic, because the ONE AND ONLY thing that put us off submitting our pr application was the fact that we have very little savings.(even less now I have just bought a dishwasher, new fridge, freezer, hoover,tv and video!!!!!) I too was under the impression you had to submit proof of what you were taking, but last week found out they tend not to check up (thats not to say they dont tho'). We would have enough to support ourselves for about 3-6 months, and as i am a nurse I havnt had problems with job offers etc.
Have any expats ever had their finances questioned?
Interesting info guys...

Sue
Old Sep 13th 2003, 8:12 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I came in on a de facto visa. I stated I would bring in $14000. I was never asked of proof that I had the money.

From looking at the immigration thread people applying at London AHC don't get asked for an assurance of support any where near as much as those from other countries.

I did have the above money and needed it. Setting up a new life is not cheap.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Craig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really nice

Thanks for help advice. To be honest we do have savings which we can declare and the £10k debt will be the credit card bill for our 6 week stay at christmas. I guess we should be ok if they dont ask to see our credit card statement. Many thanks again.