Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finance people advice needed please regarding qualifications

Finance people advice needed please regarding qualifications

Old May 22nd 2007, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finance people advice needed please regarding qualifications

I have been liasing with tafes to check what courses they offer for me to transfer my skills and they have said that I am unemployable in the financial industry unless I am PS146 compliant. Therefore I HAVE to do a course. In fact 4 of them!!

Is there anyone else on the forum in the finance industry who have similar experience to this as I am getting a little disheartened at being told that I have to do the financial planning qualifications starting at the very bottom (as a school leaver would)

I have explained to them the level I currently work at and that I am a graduate (psychology though) and could I not just do the diploma for them ,but they say I cant do that and I have to do all the other levels first.

The confusing thing is is that I have an interview with a debt recovery company when I land, why would they interview me if I am not compliant?? would they put me through the course??

All info is greatfully recieved folks as am a little low regarding this. Just feel all my hard work over the years has been for nothing.
Old May 22nd 2007, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of
Default Re: Finance people advice needed please regarding qualifications

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
The confusing thing is is that I have an interview with a debt recovery company when I land, why would they interview me if I am not compliant?? would they put me through the course??
G'day

Doing what in a debt recovery company? No skills are required (other than a bit of muscle) to knock on someones door and threaten them or reposses a car !!

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
Old May 22nd 2007, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
G'day

Doing what in a debt recovery company? No skills are required (other than a bit of muscle) to knock on someones door and threaten them or reposses a car !!

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
I currently work as a debt recovery manager in the UK so not out in the field. haha..its office based work unfortunately, finding ways to get the money into the business whilst liasing with other creditors - although I wouldnt mind doing a bit of balliff side of stuff. Not sure what the money is like for that though over there.
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

I currently work as a debt recovery manager in the UK so not out in the field. haha..its office based work unfortunately, finding ways to get the money into the business whilst liasing with other creditors - although I wouldnt mind doing a bit of balliff side of stuff. Not sure what the money is like for that though over there.
G'day

Most of the hired muscle is paid on a commission only basis. If you're a particularly "persuasive" person, it could be a good little earner for you.

Bob
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
G'day

Most of the hired muscle is paid on a commission only basis. If you're a particularly "persuasive" person, it could be a good little earner for you.

Bob
Been in debt recovery for 15yrs and am classed as 'persuasive'. quite assertive you mean (when required). If so, then where do I sign up. haha.
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:23 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have been liasing with tafes to check what courses they offer for me to transfer my skills and they have said that I am unemployable in the financial industry unless I am PS146 compliant. Therefore I HAVE to do a course. In fact 4 of them!!

Hi Cath,

I wouldn't think that the TAFE people have any in-depth knowledge. They just run courses! And your local TAFE may well have as a pre-requisite for teh diploma course that you do the levels below first. But that'll be *their* pre-requisite rather than an industry requirement.

I just had a quick search on www.google.com.au for PS145. For starters, this is needed for people who sell financial products such as insurance, investments, superannuation. You said you are in debt recovery. So, I don't really see how that fits in with selling financial products .... But in any case, if you go through the links from google, you can do the PS145 online (and various other add-on diplomas). Therefore, no need to slog through four courses at a TAFE ...

But if you are working in debt recovery, isn't that similar to credit management? In which case, it might be worthwhile checking out the Australian Institute of Credit Management and whatever quals they want/need/propose:
http://www.aicm.com.au//AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home

Hope this helps.

Gina
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hi Cath,

I wouldn't think that the TAFE people have any in-depth knowledge. They just run courses! And your local TAFE may well have as a pre-requisite for teh diploma course that you do the levels below first. But that'll be *their* pre-requisite rather than an industry requirement.

I just had a quick search on www.google.com.au for PS145. For starters, this is needed for people who sell financial products such as insurance, investments, superannuation. You said you are in debt recovery. So, I don't really see how that fits in with selling financial products .... But in any case, if you go through the links from google, you can do the PS145 online (and various other add-on diplomas). Therefore, no need to slog through four courses at a TAFE ...

But if you are working in debt recovery, isn't that similar to credit management? In which case, it might be worthwhile checking out the Australian Institute of Credit Management and whatever quals they want/need/propose:
http://www.aicm.com.au//AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home

Hope this helps.

Gina
wow Gina - you have actually understood where I am coming from without even seeing my CV !! (whereas tafe did. haha).

Spot on with that link - I will contact them for further direction. I really appreciate it. It makes sense. Thank you x