Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally a mayo worth eating

Finally a mayo worth eating

Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:20 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Finally a mayo worth eating

After buying and trying 11 different jars of Mayo only to discover it is Salad cream in a Mayo jar I have come accross PROPPER mayo.

It is made by Best foods (who I have been assured are actually the same company as UK Helmans) it is called Real Mayonaise.

They make it in low fat and full fat but be warned a couple of shops I have found the low fat version in have been up to a year out of date. you might be OK in the cities for sell by dates but anything remotely pommy in the country is pretty much always out of date.

Any way just thought I'd share that with you before I go off and devour the whole jar in a giant french stick full of chicken breast.

Kala
Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Finally a mayo worth eating

Best Foods is Unilever and as far as I know they also own Hellmans...so there you go.

I like Thomy Delikatess Mayo. I ate it with my chips for lunch today. Healthy eh
Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:49 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Best Foods is Unilever and as far as I know they also own Hellmans...so there you go.

I like Thomy Delikatess Mayo. I ate it with my chips for lunch today. Healthy eh

Best Foods brand used to be owned by Unilever in the UK but was sold off some time ago.

It is now owned by a company called Cremeneze in Essex. I only know this as I used to buy several tonnes of the stuff a week when I used to make coleslaw and pasta salads for the retailers in a previous life before I found Oz.

Kala - you are quire right it is the same as Hellmans ! Its the only one we buy over here and its the best !!

Happy munching !!

Warren

Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:55 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chocaholic
People think I'm odd for covering chips with mayo but I've been doing it for years. Years ago, in Germany, we would buy chips from the takeaway and they'd always offer mayo.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
People think I'm odd for covering chips with mayo but I've been doing it for years. Years ago, in Germany, we would buy chips from the takeaway and they'd always offer mayo.
I first had it in Belgium when I was about 10, but then went on holiday to the Scilly Isles & they did it there too - YUMMY!

pockygoes
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:08 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pockygoes
I first had it in Belgium when I was about 10, but then went on holiday to the Scilly Isles & they did it there too - YUMMY!

pockygoes

Make it yer self - it's only olive oil and eggs
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Hi
We tried S and W and found it to be the best so far...if only I could buy hellmans..am adapting to the taste...and its ok!
Susan
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Best Foods brand used to be owned by Unilever in the UK but was sold off some time ago.

It is now owned by a company called Cremeneze in Essex. I only know this as I used to buy several tonnes of the stuff a week when I used to make coleslaw and pasta salads for the retailers in a previous life before I found Oz.

Kala - you are quire right it is the same as Hellmans ! Its the only one we buy over here and its the best !!

Happy munching !!

Warren
Cremanaze used to be owned by Unilever until it was sold off a few years ago. Cremanaze now makes mayos and sauces under its own name.

The brand names Best Foods and Hellmans are still owned by Unilever - well, according to Unilever . (www.mayo.com & www.best-foods.com)

That's how it's been explained to me anyway. So accordingly, Best Foods and Hellmans are the same product, but they're not made by Cremanaze.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
Yes ....I also developed this habit in Germany, Belgium and Holland. In Holland you can also get hot sate sauce on your chips or a combo of sate sauce and mayo......but that's another story!
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

buglegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

If anybody likes Jaffa Cakes you can by them in the chocolate emporiium...but warning...they cost $13 a box

xbg
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:52 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by buglegirl
If anybody likes Jaffa Cakes you can by them in the chocolate emporiium...but warning...they cost $13 a box

xbg
Jaffa cakes are only $3 odd in Bilo. They are in the asian food/curry aisle (not in the biscuit aisle where you'd think they'd be), next to the imported UK weetabix, top shelf, tucked out of the way in the store I go to. Can't believe they are selling them for $13.. you are being ripped off

And for anyone who is looking for Branston pickle - bilo again , $3 something - in the ketchup/sauces and pickle aisle ( also Piccalilli by the same makers) , bottom shelf ( again imported from the UK)

cheers
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ceri
Jaffa cakes are only $3 odd in Bilo. They are in the asian food/curry aisle (not in the biscuit aisle where you'd think they'd be), next to the imported UK weetabix, top shelf, tucked out of the way in the store I go to. Can't believe they are selling them for $13.. you are being ripped off

And for anyone who is looking for Branston pickle - bilo again , $3 something - in the ketchup/sauces and pickle aisle ( also Piccalilli by the same makers) , bottom shelf ( again imported from the UK)

cheers
By the way there is a sweet shop called chocolate heaven in Coolangatta. They had revels for 2 dollars for a big packet and loads of british sweets in jars. Lots of nice sweeties.It is owned by a scots man.

Chocolate Heavne
Shop G33
Showcase on the beach
Coolangatta
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Now I've read on a website that there is a slight difference between Best Foods Mayo and Hellmans. Apparently the BestFoods is slightly more tangy (more lemon) and the Hellmans slightly more sweet - because tastes vary accross the world. Right, I'm all mayo'd out. Next time I'm going to use tomato ketchup - but then by Masterfoods
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 3:54 am
Go Power!!!!!

Multicoloured Crocodile is on a distinguished road

My vote goes for s&w - don't know what it stands for so will have to dig some out for dinner to find out - not the cheapest though. Worst I've had (lets name and shame them!) is a Kraft 95% or whatever fat free effort that was a whiter than white pathetically thin runny incipid vinegary tasting effort. Yuk!
Go S&W!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 4:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri

cheers
$13, what a rip off. The Bilo ones will do me! Found the Branston Pickle last week and have nearly finished a jar already! The Bloke did try a bit, tentatively, and I think I might be able to convert him to it. He's also got rather fond of Weetabix
Found some Foxes Glacier Mints in a BiLo the other week too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.