Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally heading West

Finally heading West

Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold
Default Finally heading West

Perth here we come. Exchanged contracts on our house near Coffs Harbour NSW, today after selling it for peanuts and booked the removalists for Sep 2.

Silly me volunteered to do the packing to save money. I've packed 20 boxes so far. Only another 60 to go. Already sick of the sight of brown boxes.

Hubby flying back from Perth on Aug 27 and we are driving to Perth over 7 days. Now trying to book a rental in Settlers Hill, Baldivis, where we intend to live for the first 12 months. I googled the distance and it is 4,203km (over 2,500 miles). Gulp.

Hubby says we can share the driving. What an optimist !! I got fed up driving from here to Sydney and Wollongong and that was only 8 hours.

Does anyone else think we are bonkers ? I don't know whether to feel excited or apprehensive or both.

It won't be our 8-year-old son asking "Are we there yet ?". It will be me. Somehow I don't think we will be playing I Spy driving across the Nullabor.

I hope we don't break down in the middle of nowhere. Don't ask me why but that super creepy film Wolf Creek keeps popping up in my head.

With that in mind I went to a local tyre place to see how many tyres needed changing on the OH's car. All 4 said the man and BTW the spare is flat. Hubby didn't bother getting it replaced when he had a puncture last year. Great start. Next stop is the garage to get a full service.

Would appreciate comments from anyone with kids at Settlers Primary School as this will be in the catchment area. Not great NAPLAN results but I am hoping that is not a reflection on the school's performance overall. Tranby College is the other option but not sure how easy it is to get a place.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:43 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally heading West

Originally Posted by kips
Perth here we come. Exchanged contracts on our house near Coffs Harbour NSW, today after selling it for peanuts and booked the removalists for Sep 2.

Silly me volunteered to do the packing to save money. I've packed 20 boxes so far. Only another 60 to go. Already sick of the sight of brown boxes.

Hubby flying back from Perth on Aug 27 and we are driving to Perth over 7 days. Now trying to book a rental in Settlers Hill, Baldivis, where we intend to live for the first 12 months. I googled the distance and it is 4,203km (over 2,500 miles). Gulp.

Hubby says we can share the driving. What an optimist !! I got fed up driving from here to Sydney and Wollongong and that was only 8 hours.

Does anyone else think we are bonkers ? I don't know whether to feel excited or apprehensive or both.

It won't be our 8-year-old son asking "Are we there yet ?". It will be me. Somehow I don't think we will be playing I Spy driving across the Nullabor.

I hope we don't break down in the middle of nowhere. Don't ask me why but that super creepy film Wolf Creek keeps popping up in my head.

With that in mind I went to a local tyre place to see how many tyres needed changing on the OH's car. All 4 said the man and BTW the spare is flat. Hubby didn't bother getting it replaced when he had a puncture last year. Great start. Next stop is the garage to get a full service.

Would appreciate comments from anyone with kids at Settlers Primary School as this will be in the catchment area. Not great NAPLAN results but I am hoping that is not a reflection on the school's performance overall. Tranby College is the other option but not sure how easy it is to get a place.
I came over to Perth earlier this yr and I didn't want to drive from Qld, but someone made the comment that at least you could say you "done it" and that somehow changed it for me....although I got on a plane in the end
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

The_Foulgers will become famous soon enoughThe_Foulgers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kips

Hi Kips,
We live on Settlers Hills at the moment, our neighbours have young children and the school age one goes to Makybe Rise which is just on the Tuart Ridge estate, they really rate it. Have heard good things about Settlers Primary but no experience of it myself. As far as Tranby is concerned that was one I was going to look at or my two but they didn't have places and weren't that keen on doing a full on visit during school time. 'm going to be sending mine, hopefully, to Living Waters at Warnbro. Firstly the open evening was really useful and the interaction between the kids and teachers was excellent (btw way they go from pre-school up to yr 12). Secondly they allowed both my kids to have a trial day there doing a full school day - they both loved it.
Hope that helps.

Jayne
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The_Foulgers
Hi Kips,
We live on Settlers Hills at the moment, our neighbours have young children and the school age one goes to Makybe Rise which is just on the Tuart Ridge estate, they really rate it. Have heard good things about Settlers Primary but no experience of it myself. As far as Tranby is concerned that was one I was going to look at or my two but they didn't have places and weren't that keen on doing a full on visit during school time. 'm going to be sending mine, hopefully, to Living Waters at Warnbro. Firstly the open evening was really useful and the interaction between the kids and teachers was excellent (btw way they go from pre-school up to yr 12). Secondly they allowed both my kids to have a trial day there doing a full school day - they both loved it.
Hope that helps.

Jayne
Thanks Jayne. My husband went to Settlers today to pick up a school pack with an enrolment form.
Makybe Rise would have been great as one of the rentals we like is in Makybe Drive, and the school is within walking distance.
But Year 3 doesn't start until next year. Didn't know about Living Waters so will have a look.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 6:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Foulgers
Hi Kips,
Hope that helps.

Jayne
I'd avoid them like the plague in that case.