Reload this Page >

Finally got here !

Wikiposts

Finally got here !

Old Aug 16th 2003, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finally got here !

Got here on Wednesday 12th, still waking up at all hours of the night, bit chilly after UK heat wave.

Hired car and the driving here in Perth is mental, drive as close as possible to car in front, undertake and overtake and hog the right hand lane. Bit like the M6 really.

Found a site for those of you looking for accommodation http://www.accessproperty.com/

Mainly apartments but do 6 week to a year lets. Handy if you are not sure where you want to stay, there are loads of rental property available so try not to pay extortinate prices charged by some on this forum.

Car hire is pretty reasonable but be aware of insurance clauses, we ended up using Budget, Hyandai Elantra Auto, £150 a week with $250 excess, full insurance unlimited etc. Not the cheapest but seemed to cover all eventualitys.

Anyone need info just ask and I will try and help.

Got asked what I think of the stuff PB, Wilf, Dotty etc put on here now I am here. All I can say is they are not far off the mark.

Perth is a great place for builders and hairdressers. !!!

Catch you all later.

Chris & Donna

Also try http://www.satterley.com.au/ for rental in Perth

Last edited by karawara88; Aug 16th 2003 at 2:15 am.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 2:29 am
Badge

Default Re: Finally got here !

Good stuff Kara.

Keep us posted of how you get on!

badgers

Old Aug 16th 2003, 2:30 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

I knew he had something against hairdressers! He must be bald.

Anyway, glad you arrived safely and everything is alright. It's good to here from you again. You've been pretty darn informative this side of the world, so please carry on.

Best wishes,

Steve.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by karawara88
Got here on Wednesday 12th, still waking up at all hours of the night, bit chilly after UK heat wave.

Hired car and the driving here in Perth is mental, drive as close as possible to car in front, undertake and overtake and hog the right hand lane. Bit like the M6 really.

Found a site for those of you looking for accommodation http://www.accessproperty.com/

Mainly apartments but do 6 week to a year lets. Handy if you are not sure where you want to stay, there are loads of rental property available so try not to pay extortinate prices charged by some on this forum.

Car hire is pretty reasonable but be aware of insurance clauses, we ended up using Budget, Hyandai Elantra Auto, £150 a week with $250 excess, full insurance unlimited etc. Not the cheapest but seemed to cover all eventualitys.

Got asked what I think of the stuff PB, Wilf, Dotty etc put on here now I am here. All I can say is they are not far off the mark.

Catch you all later.

Chris & Donna

Great to hear you're finally there, thanks for the info and please keep it coming, we will be heading to Perth next year.

Whereabouts are you renting at mo?

Have fun

Teresa

Old Aug 16th 2003, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Whereabouts are you renting at mo?
Currently in West Peth, short stroll to Kings Park, and 5 minutes into City center.

Looking to move in next couple of weeks to South Perth.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 5:07 am
owieb

Welcome to Perth!

Did you try Bayswater car hire? They are with doubt the cheapest in Perth by a long shot and always somewhere we recommend people to hire from. They do have a limited range of cars, all Toyotas and all white! But still the best.

Last edited by owieb; Aug 16th 2003 at 5:10 am.

Old Aug 16th 2003, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya Karawara

Hope everything goes really well for your and your family with your new life down under and it is all you wish it to be!!

I justed wanted to ask re{ PB, Wilf etc you said their not far off the mark does that mean your disappointed or not? Also, is it really that bad driving I thought the roads were suppose to be a lot quieter out there???

Best of luck for the future.

Graham & Kath
Old Aug 16th 2003, 7:34 am
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Catch you all later.

Chris & Donna

Hi Chris and Donna,

Just a quick note to wish you all the best, keep us all posted, we are arriving 10th Nov.
Good Luck with it all.
Suz
Old Aug 16th 2003, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to hear from you and please keep us informed.

Hope you enjoy your time in Perth - how long do you plan to stay?
Old Aug 16th 2003, 9:09 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear how you're all getting on, keep us posted!
Old Aug 16th 2003, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

To answer the questions.

Roads are not that bad, just takes a bit of getting used to.

Did not use Bayswater Car hire as heard bad reports about them.

Re PB etc, we are not dissapointed because I have been before and also took on board the reality as spoken by PB etc.

The interesting thing is, reading the West Australian is just like reading Manchester Evening News, same stuff happening just different location.

Update on whats occuring.

Been Shopping and is a nightmare because you cant find anything. !!

Television is mind numbing. !!
Old Aug 16th 2003, 9:09 pm
owieb

What bad things did you hear about them?

We hired from them for about 4 months and never once had a problem. It was costing us about $700 a month for 2 year old Corrolla, fully insured, unlimited milage etc.

Old Aug 17th 2003, 1:53 am
Just Joined

mel&dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth!

Hi Donna & Chris,
Welcome to Perth.
Great isn't it, pleased we ignored all the crap threads!!
We arrived 10th July and our feet haven't touched the ground yet.
Dave started work after the first week and I got my job three weeks later which was my first interview. Longer hours that the UK though 37½, compared to 37 so isn't too bad.
Nightmare though trying to adjust to the opening times of the shops, in 5 days we got a rental place sorted out in Kensington and bought bed, suite, tv, video, etc... etc.. I thought it would be great spending loads of money but by the 4th day it was loosing it's appeal!!!
Agree with the TV, never seen so much crap!! Adverts are the best aren't they??
The weekend papers are great, takes you a few hours to get through them.
What have you been up to since you arrived?
Went to boat show on Saturday, brillant Dave is insisting he has a boat now!! MEN AND THEIR TOYS !!! Must be a substitute for something don't you think.
Anyway hope everything goes okay for you all.
Mel & Dave

To answer the questions.

Roads are not that bad, just takes a bit of getting used to.

Re PB etc, we are not dissapointed because I have been before and also took on board the reality as spoken by PB etc.

The interesting thing is, reading the West Australian is just like reading Manchester Evening News, same stuff happening just different location.

Update on whats occuring.

Been Shopping and is a nightmare because you cant find anything. !!

Television is mind numbing. !!
Old Aug 17th 2003, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Re: Bayswater car hire, I heard that the insurance only covered if you hit moving car, so anything stationery not covered, hit in car park not covered etc etc.

From previous experience here decided to get as much cover as poss. Last time had car broken into and one hit in a car park.

Also Budget provide new cars, also quite a bit in the papers about rogue car hire companies. So we decided to stick to a big name. Just personal choice really.

Guess someone will have a bad word for budget. Although I must say at $700 a month Bayswater may be worth another look.

We have only hired for two weeks so Donna can get used to roads in someone elses car. !!

Anyway bed time.
Old Aug 17th 2003, 5:49 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: Bayswater car hire, I heard that the insurance only covered if you hit moving car, so anything stationery not covered, hit in car park not covered etc etc.

From previous experience here decided to get as much cover as poss. Last time had car broken into and one hit in a car park.

Also Budget provide new cars, also quite a bit in the papers about rogue car hire companies. So we decided to stick to a big name. Just personal choice really.

Guess someone will have a bad word for budget. Although I must say at $700 a month Bayswater may be worth another look.

We have only hired for two weeks so Donna can get used to roads in someone elses car. !!

Anyway bed time.
Little known fact about virtually ALL car insurance the world over - contents are NOT covered between sunset and sunrise, so this means you should always empty your car at night, however boring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.