Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

finally getting somewhere

finally getting somewhere

Old Jun 26th 2003, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default finally getting somewhere

well passpots have been sent off off the visa - have given my 3 months notice at work - offically finish 30-09-03 but take leve and lieu so finish on 04-09-03 - farewell party booked for 05-09-03
John Mason coming to pick up belongings on 23-07-03 -
bouncy castle ordered for daughters school leaving party on 19-07-03 - knackered already and havent even thought about informing tax office, opening bnk account etc!!
some much to do so little time

exciting though
Old Jun 26th 2003, 10:10 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Know how it feels! We have just started the same procedure but have not yet handed in our notices - waiting for house sale completion date (we only have to give one months notice plus we have holiday allowance to take). All I can say is make plenty of lists, write everything down because it feels good when you cross something off!! We have done bank account, now looking into medical insurance, life policies etc... the list is endless. We expect to be in Brisbane in August - not long now.

It will be worth it in the end I'm sure.

Good luck
Dawn
Old Jun 26th 2003, 11:44 am
JackieHamilton

Know how you feel.

We sold our house end Feb and moved in with the in-laws.

We have our visas and depart for Brisbane 6th August. We too have the send off party booked for 1st August but have not yet notified the Inland Revenue and cancelled all the Direct Debits.

We have set up a Bank Account with the Commonwealth who have been great.

Luckily no kids to sort, just the dog who is leaving on the same day.

6 weeks and counting.

Jackie

Old Jun 26th 2003, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Glad things are getting on there way. We haven't really done much yet as we are only going in Feb,

I have informed work when I will be leaving (they new when I started)

Booked leaving party 07.02.03

Looking into flights and travel first

Picked Shipper

Putting house on market on our return from holiday

Decorating continously

Planning to go and visit all the people we "mean to vist"

selecting comapny for exchange rate

few I am tired already roll on next Saturday the 5th Austria and Itlay here we come.

Best of luck with everything and make sure you get a couple of this weekend to relax.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Tony Fee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: finally getting somewhere

Originally posted by thewoods
well passpots have been sent off off the visa - have given my 3 months notice at work - offically finish 30-09-03 but take leve and lieu so finish on 04-09-03 - farewell party booked for 05-09-03
John Mason coming to pick up belongings on 23-07-03 -
bouncy castle ordered for daughters school leaving party on 19-07-03 - knackered already and havent even thought about informing tax office, opening bnk account etc!!
some much to do so little time

exciting though
I'm a new user & am in the process of moving to Perth...any advice would be welcome.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi Tony,

have you applied yet ? Or what stage are you up to ?
Old Jun 26th 2003, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

We've got our full Residants visa's, so we can live & work in Oz all legal & above board ! We're in the stages of trying to put our house on the market & then get things organised to go down to Oz...but there's so many things to organise. Any ideas/tips ???
Old Jun 26th 2003, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Had 2 estate agents round and they are both saying similar prices which makes it easier. The one we prefered is actually 1/2% cheaper so we will go with them. They reckon 4-6 weeks to get a buyer and then 6-10 weeks to go through.
We have had 2 shipping quotes, they both seemed good and were also the same price!

Finished off the house, but don't want to put it on too early as we want to leave end of Dec/Jan. If it sells quick we will go into rented.

I have to give a ridiculous 3 months notice in at work ( from Sept) if I hand my notice in now I can't leave until mid Dec madness isn't it?! So I am not in a rush to tell them.

Husband has told his and they are looking for a job for him out there as they have offices all over Oz. We are not hopeful though.

We will open a bank account next month -HSBC seem to be the best for us.

So many other things to do!!We must keep posting so we can keep our lists up to date!

Good luck with it all

Tinax
Old Jun 26th 2003, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tony,

I did this list before

Sell House
Pay off debts
Sell car
Contact Tax Office (UK)
Get immunised for travel
Sort shipping company
Refs from banks (you will need proof that you are good payers)
Refs from employers
Stop Cable
Stop Council tax
Stop House insurance
Stop Electric, Gas, Water, Phone, Car insurance
Arrange mail to be forwarded to Brenda
Change addresses with bank
Book Flights
Close all bank accounts
Proof no claims bonus.
Convert dosh, open bank account
Get hotmail a/c
Stop car insurance and get rebate
make sure mobile is operative in oz or cancel contract
go to Link shop and buy one-tel pay as you go unlocked mobile with very low call costs £49.95 works in oz they say
Organise ALL the keys you have to the house and doors to give to the new people
Get e-mail addresses for everyone you can (cuts down on postage costs)
Cancel mobile phone contract
OPen oZ bank account (HSBC) prior
Register with as many job agenices as possible as I am trying to do a present, Hays and TMP Hudson have Global parts in london I have numbers if anyone wants them.
Be checking housing market and rentals on line
Decide what you will do first travel, or stay in a b& B
Arrange for car rental for first 2 weeks rentnewcars.com - where bar far the cheapest on all the sites I went on
If you are a tradesman, print of the licence form for your licence complete and have your qualifications ready in hand luggage to
Leaving Party
Pack you suitcase just before packers come with all the bits you will need when you go - (we are travelling first and leaving in Feb but in our cases will be our clothes,(summer) trade papers, driving licence, all important paperwork, references etc. (in hand luggage. So all winter clothes I have will be given away.
Fly west and avoid jet lag [:-) and get 32kg allowance each without having to be tied in to the Qantas migration fare. Which can be costly. Find out about what you can put in the hold for free.
cancel internet
check and have smear if lady
Medical records

hope this helps
Old Jun 26th 2003, 9:32 pm
port kennedy dec 2003

carolerussell is an unknown quantity at this point

Woods

Good luck with your move. I have posted you a e-mail/personal message. We also plan to fly to perth 12th september if not 13th september, we have still got to confirm exact date. I was going to send our furniture out mid august but reading your post has made me think should i send it sooner. Get in touch and we can exchange ideas seen as we are on the same time scale.

Hope to be in touch soon,

Carole, Grant and family.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Carrianne
Tony,

I did this list before

Sell House
Pay off debts
Sell car
Contact Tax Office (UK)
Get immunised for travel
Sort shipping company
Refs from banks (you will need proof that you are good payers)
Refs from employers
Stop Cable
Stop Council tax
Stop House insurance
Stop Electric, Gas, Water, Phone, Car insurance
Arrange mail to be forwarded to Brenda
Change addresses with bank
Book Flights
Close all bank accounts
Proof no claims bonus.
Convert dosh, open bank account
Get hotmail a/c
Stop car insurance and get rebate
make sure mobile is operative in oz or cancel contract
go to Link shop and buy one-tel pay as you go unlocked mobile with very low call costs £49.95 works in oz they say
Organise ALL the keys you have to the house and doors to give to the new people
Get e-mail addresses for everyone you can (cuts down on postage costs)
OPen oZ bank account (HSBC) prior
Register with as many job agenices as possible as I am trying to do a present, Hays and TMP Hudson have Global parts in london I have numbers if anyone wants them.
Be checking housing market and rentals on line
Decide what you will do first travel, or stay in a b& B
Arrange for car rental for first 2 weeks rentnewcars.com - where bar far the cheapest on all the sites I went on
If you are a tradesman, print of the licence form for your licence complete and have your qualifications ready in hand luggage to
Leaving Party
Pack you suitcase just before packers come with all the bits you will need when you go - (we are travelling first and leaving in Feb but in our cases will be our clothes,(summer) trade papers, driving licence, all important paperwork, references etc. (in hand luggage. So all winter clothes I have will be given away.
Fly west and avoid jet lag [:-) and get 32kg allowance each without having to be tied in to the Qantas migration fare. Which can be costly. Find out about what you can put in the hold for free.
cancel internet
check and have smear if lady
Medical records

hope this helps
That's what I call a list !!
We're hoping to leave the U.K late this year or early next....it looks like we'll need that long to get organised !! Thnx for the list.
Good luck with your move. Where & when R U moving 2 ?
Cheers....Tony.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Tony,

We will be going out Mid feb after the summer so prices are cheaper for accomodation as we hope to travel a bit on the way. We've seen a place called Palmwoods on the Sunshine coast in QLD, what about you ?