Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally, the flights are booked. Perth here we come ...

Finally, the flights are booked. Perth here we come ...

Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

lang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud of
Default Finally, the flights are booked. Perth here we come ...

Hi everyone,

After much stressing and indecision the good lady and i have finally decided to book our flights to Perth.
We were undecided as to where to settle but eventually we agreed on our first choice, so Perth it is.
After reading all the pros and cons of various cities on this forum we decided that we should try it out and see for ourselves if it is too isolated, too boring, too laid back etc etc....
So the digs are sorted and after a 3 night stopover in Hong Kong we will touch down at 07:25 on the 4th Dec.
If it doesn't suit us then we will just head east and try somewhere else.
I can't believe that we are now on our way, the whole process seems to have happened so quickly.
It would be great to meet some guys from the forum when we arrive.
Please pm me if you would like to meet (Scottish couple in their early 30) up and hopefully ease my wife's fear of being "so alone" in OZ.
Good luck to everyone who is going through the waiting game right now.

Craig.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:11 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally, the flights are booked. Perth here we come ...

Originally Posted by lang81
Hi everyone,

After much stressing and indecision the good lady and i have finally decided to book our flights to Perth.
We were undecided as to where to settle but eventually we agreed on our first choice, so Perth it is.
After reading all the pros and cons of various cities on this forum we decided that we should try it out and see for ourselves if it is too isolated, too boring, too laid back etc etc....
So the digs are sorted and after a 3 night stopover in Hong Kong we will touch down at 07:25 on the 4th Dec.
I can't believe that we are now on our way, the whole process seems to have happened so quickly.
Please pm me if you would like to meet (Scottish couple in their early 30) up and hopefully ease my wife's fear of being "so alone" in OZ.

Craig.

Hi Craig

We too are going to Perth and are hoping for our visa any time now. We are ideally hoping to go January.

As we live in London, we want to live in Subiaco/West Leederville because I reckon moving anywhere else could be a bit of a culture shock and we want to do this gradually if you know what I mean.

So by the time we get there, you will be settled but if you are up for it, we would love to meet for a drink.

My husbands a chef and I will either be working as a veterinary nurse or as a secretary/PA which is what I am doing now.

Good luck with your move.

Samantha
Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

pippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud of

Good luck in Oz.

Can I ask how much the flights were. The best I can find so far (Glasgow to Melbourne) is about £1750 via Expedia and Qantas (2+2).

How did you book the stopover adn what baggage allowance are you getting?

Cheers David
Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

lang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud of

Hi mate,

We paid 1330 UK pounds for 2 tickets, flying with Qantas 29th Nov. This includes our 3 nights in Hong Kong.
We booked with the flight centre in Glasgow and the agent was really helpful.
Apparently there are not many seats left for flights over the next month and when you go into December the price rises again.
Don't know how to get extra baggage but from what i have read hear you can't get get it if you are doing a stopover.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by pippin lara
Good luck in Oz.

Can I ask how much the flights were. The best I can find so far (Glasgow to Melbourne) is about £1750 via Expedia and Qantas (2+2).

How did you book the stopover adn what baggage allowance are you getting?

Cheers David
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:53 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We are away to Perth on Nov 20th and we are in our early 30's too! (English and Indian couple here - although the English one of us grew up in Australia and the Indian one of us grew up in England...but anyway)....

The Perthies do Coffee mornings but it would be kewl to organise a meet up!

Where in Perth you hoping to settle?

Me and the OH will be in Joondalup initially as that is where my Father lives

All the best!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 1:42 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone,

Craig.
High Fuel/Petrol crisis and prices in Australia.Even countries like India/Pakistan/Morocco didn't reported any fuel crisis or price changes.Australian pace of life is too slow or sluggish as compared to US/UK.Australia is a place for old and retired people who had already lived a long fast paced life in UK/Europe or USA and just want to enjoy sunshine,quietness and sky now.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Craig.
You need to stop stressing about where you want to live and see things for yourself.

Before we came out I was reading so many negative posts about Perth that I nearly changed my mind and went East. However, I did have to remind myself that there are a lot of expats in Perth who are incredibly happy and just don't post on here.

Yes it's laid back - but this is Oz !! As for isolated, I think of it as like the UK (only much much bigger). If you fly for a couple of hours from the UK you can get to other areas and that's the same here - what's the difference ? Oh yes, WA is loads bigger.

Boring ? Depends what you want from life but I can't see that it's missing anything that any other area has got.

When you get here, where will you be staying ? There are meets in Hillarys, Rockingham and Mandurah and we are a friendly bunch really
Old Oct 21st 2006, 2:48 am
Red Devil

angec has a spectacular aura aboutangec has a spectacular aura aboutangec has a spectacular aura about

Hi mate,

We paid 1330 UK pounds for 2 tickets, flying with Qantas 29th Nov. This includes our 3 nights in Hong Kong.
We booked with the flight centre in Glasgow and the agent was really helpful.
Apparently there are not many seats left for flights over the next month and when you go into December the price rises again.
Don't know how to get extra baggage but from what i have read hear you can't get get it if you are doing a stopover.

Cheers.
We did a stopover with Singapore air when we came over, I was the only one entitled to the extra baggage allowance(my hubby and son were both already Aussie citizens) and I got it. I think you have to mention it when you book at the travel agents and they take a photocopy of your visa.

Started looking into our flights for our first 'holiday' back to Blighty next october(3 yrs on) and SO want to do hong kong as a stopover so I'll be interested in what you think of the place.

Oh and we certainly count ourselves as seome of the happy ones over here. There's a lot of us here! It's a beautiful place, just come and have a good look and you'll find the place you feel comfortable with! Good luck!!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there,

When we arrive we are staying in Bassendean. Hopefully we will meet some expats when we get there.
Originally Posted by ohippy
You need to stop stressing about where you want to live and see things for yourself.

Before we came out I was reading so many negative posts about Perth that I nearly changed my mind and went East. However, I did have to remind myself that there are a lot of expats in Perth who are incredibly happy and just don't post on here.

Yes it's laid back - but this is Oz !! As for isolated, I think of it as like the UK (only much much bigger). If you fly for a couple of hours from the UK you can get to other areas and that's the same here - what's the difference ? Oh yes, WA is loads bigger.

Boring ? Depends what you want from life but I can't see that it's missing anything that any other area has got.

When you get here, where will you be staying ? There are meets in Hillarys, Rockingham and Mandurah and we are a friendly bunch really
Old Oct 21st 2006, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Hi everyone,

Craig.
Hi Craig

We too are off to Perth but not until 29 April, so hopefully you'll still be there then. We're also a scottish couple in our early thirties, and I have to admit to feeling the same as your wife and being a bit worried about not knowing anyone and making new mates - it's all a bit daunting the thought of having to make new mates in your thirties!!!! Don;t get me wrong, OH says I shouldn't have any bother as I never shut up and will talk to anyone.

Would be great to meet up for a drink if you're still around by the time we get there. We're heading for in/around the Joondalup area. If your wife wants to PM me for a chat she's more than welcome.

Good luck and maybe see you soon!!!

Nikki