Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally decided on a shipper

Finally decided on a shipper

Old Apr 22nd 2004, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Finally decided on a shipper

Took about 3 weeks of debate! I continuously change my mind about everything, and hubby is a libran so unable to make any decisions at all. Had 5 quotes in all (Pickfords, John Mason, PSS< Excess Baggage & Robinsons), quotes ranged from £1700 to £2150, and volume estimates ranged from 300 cu ft to 500 cu ft. Obviously those who estimated less volume came in with a lower quote. Therefore we had to decide which volume estimate to believe and we worked out the cheapest quote per cu ft. Decided on Allied Pickfords inthe end. They quoted £2000 for 500cu ft. Coming 28th May.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done !!! very organised. I think we have finally decided too and will be sending our stuff with Crown.
We are sending alot !! :scared: and need a whole 40ft container ,mainly due to Hubbies 21 boxes of books !!!! Hes very sentimental ,Im not
By the way hope youre feeling a little better now
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Originally posted by snowhite
Well done !!! very organised. I think we have finally decided too and will be sending our stuff with Crown.
We are sending alot !! :scared: and need a whole 40ft container ,mainly due to Hubbies 21 boxes of books !!!! Hes very sentimental ,Im not
By the way hope youre feeling a little better now

We have been whittling our possessions down for 6 years now! Got rid of the books ages ago - ask him how often he will read them, and if the answer is never, or even once a year then get rid! If he really wants to read it go to the library! I made that decision a long time ago and have applied it to most of my possessions, especially DVD/videos and books - just rent/borrow it if I want to see it again. I know a lot of people get very attached to books though!

I am still not feeling any better though - baby is getting me up 6 times a night still. He is nearly 6 months old now and has started solid food, but still wakes every 2 hours for a feed at night!!! Sleep deprivation is a form of torture
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:06 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mummy
We have been whittling our possessions down for 6 years now! Got rid of the books ages ago - ask him how often he will read them, and if the answer is never, or even once a year then get rid! If he really wants to read it go to the library! I made that decision a long time ago and have applied it to most of my possessions, especially DVD/videos and books - just rent/borrow it if I want to see it again. I know a lot of people get very attached to books though!

I am still not feeling any better though - baby is getting me up 6 times a night still. He is nearly 6 months old now and has started solid food, but still wakes every 2 hours for a feed at night!!! Sleep deprivation is a form of torture
God I feel for you I really do my youngest now 4yrs got me up 10 times a night for about a year ... it was not funny and the sleep deprivation was so awful it really was a torture. My hubby and I used to take turns to sleep in the same room as him so we could get at least one decent nights sleep every other night, turned out he had adhd and it was my health visitor that picked up on it not me and I have 2 other older children so you would have thought I would have realised, I knew it wasnt right but you just grin and bear it when it is happening to you.

Last edited by sky; Apr 23rd 2004 at 8:08 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sky
God I feel for you I really do my youngest now 4yrs got me up 10 times a night for about a year ... it was not funny and the sleep deprivation was so awful it really was a torture. My hubby and I used to take turns to sleep in the same room as him so we could get at least one decent nights sleep every other night, turned out he had adhd and it was my health visitor that picked up on it not me and I have 2 other older children so you would have thought I would have realised, I knew it wasnt right but you just grin and bear it when it is happening to you.
What is adhd? I hope Laurie doesn't keep it up until he is a year old!!:scared: How did you cope? Were you working? Trouble is that Laurie wants to eat when he wakes up and I am still breastfeeding so it is me that has to get up. I went back to work last week (only for 6 weeks till we depart for Oz) and am finding it quite hard to concentrate (especially when I am on this forum when I should be working tut tut!)
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:02 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Attention deficit hyperactive disorder ... I breast fed for 14 wks but just could not do any longer cos I needed sleep and my other 2 children were suffering
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sky
Attention deficit hyperactive disorder ... I breast fed for 14 wks but just could not do any longer cos I needed sleep and my other 2 children were suffering

I really wouldn't be surprised if Laurie had this too - he seems to have a very short attention span and constantly needs distracting to keep him from whinging. I am trying to build up a breastmilk supply so that hubby can do some of the nighttime shifts and hopefully this will help. I am dreading what happens when we fly to Oz and are 12 hours out - probably Laurie will take to sleeping for 2 hours at a time in the day and want entertaining all night! Or maybe . . . just maybe . . .the change will sort everything out and he will sleep through! LOL
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:24 am
sky
Banned

Fingers crossed for you ... if all else fails prozac helps !
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Hi Mummy

I really feel for you- I had premature twins & they did not sleep at night for more than 2 hours until they were 12 months old, trouble was they did not sleep during the day either - just cried & whinged. I was so o o exhausted. we tried leaving them at night to cry but it ended up just waking us all up & they ended up in such a state that it would take me 2 hours to calm them both down. I went back to work when they were 6 months 3 days a weeks - it was tiring but at least I got a brteak from them in the day. In the end I went to a sleep clinic & after just one session they started to sleep through the night - all they did was tell us to do exactly what we knew we should be doing - just gives you the confidence to do it!!!

All the best

pockygoes
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by pockygoes
Hi Mummy

I really feel for you- I had premature twins & they did not sleep at night for more than 2 hours until they were 12 months old, trouble was they did not sleep during the day either - just cried & whinged. I was so o o exhausted. we tried leaving them at night to cry but it ended up just waking us all up & they ended up in such a state that it would take me 2 hours to calm them both down. I went back to work when they were 6 months 3 days a weeks - it was tiring but at least I got a brteak from them in the day. In the end I went to a sleep clinic & after just one session they started to sleep through the night - all they did was tell us to do exactly what we knew we should be doing - just gives you the confidence to do it!!!

All the best

pockygoes

You can't leave it at that!!!! What did the sleep clinic tell you? I am open to all suggestions!
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:31 am
sky
Banned

I tried leaving my son crying but it was verging on cruelty the neighbours would have got social services in if i had carried on and I was an experienced mum. You check they are fed, warm, dry , not collicky, and not just lonely but there comes a point when there is nothing left to check
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sky
I tried leaving my son crying but it was verging on cruelty the neighbours would have got social services in if i had carried on and I was an experienced mum. You check they are fed, warm, dry , not collicky, and not just lonely but there come a point when there is nothing left to check

If I feed him he goes back to sleep without any fuss. I cannot leave him to cry - he gets in such a state. Just can't get him to eat more in the day!
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to anyone reading this post wondering what on earth it has to do with shipping!
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Well....

They said we were right with the bath, feed & bed routine. But the boys were only taking half a feed after their bath before falling asleep, so we had to give them half a feed before the bath & the other half after - we had to make sure that they were awake when they went to bed (rather than falling asleep on the bottle). We then had a routine of kissing and saying "night, night" to 3 teddies "lie down and go to sleep", we then had to exactly the same to the boys. We were told after that that we should not have anymore eye contact if they started crying, leave a while & then go back in & say exactly the same & walk out - the weird thing is that we had tried to leave them before with all sorts of implications - but by doing this about 6 times in the same night - we cracked it. Very odd but it worked for us - just wish I had done it months earlier.

Cheers

pockygoes
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:49 am
sky
Banned

Maybe solids will help then but watch out for the additives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.