Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally convinced him to go! Yippee!

Finally convinced him to go! Yippee!

Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:39 pm
Soon to be Bris!

Chris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really nice
Default Finally convinced him to go! Yippee!

My OH has reluctantly agreed to emigrate to oz and we have a PR visa that expires Nov 2012, the problem we have is we've just had a new addition -Henry, so we need to apply for a child visa for him! Just hope that process is straight forward and OH doesn't change his mind, I'm so excited it's all getting real again!

Jaime xxx
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:00 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally convinced him to go! Yippee!

Originally Posted by Chris&Jaime
My OH has reluctantly agreed to emigrate to oz and we have a PR visa that expires Nov 2012, the problem we have is we've just had a new addition -Henry, so we need to apply for a child visa for him! Just hope that process is straight forward and OH doesn't change his mind, I'm so excited it's all getting real again!

Jaime xxx

It's taken me years to get my OH to really want to go ...hence why I have been here on B.E for so long

Congrats on your choice of name for baby...I also have a Henry
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:28 pm
Soon to be Bris!

Chris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kapri

It's taken me years to get my OH to really want to go ...hence why I have been here on B.E for so long

Congrats on your choice of name for baby...I also have a Henry
We also have an Owen and Olivia. I wouldn't mind but applying in the first place was his idea. I did all the running round and form filling then he changed his mind cos of the recession and the exchange rate.

How long have you been planning to go? Do you have a visa?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Jaime xxx
I'd get a move on applying for the child visa if you only have until nov. I've just applied and been told there is a 7-8 month wait for child visas.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:22 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

How long have you been planning to go? Do you have a visa?
We've been planning to go for the past 10 years
We almost had a visa 2.5 years ago but didn't go through with the medicals because we decided not to emigrate (for many reasons).

Where are you off to?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Just realised you've got till 2012 not Nov this year so ignore me lol
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:54 pm
Soon to be Bris!

Originally Posted by Kapri
We've been planning to go for the past 10 years
We almost had a visa 2.5 years ago but didn't go through with the medicals because we decided not to emigrate (for many reasons).

Where are you off to?
Either Brisbane or gold coast just depends on work really. Hubby is a plasterer so should be ok, but I'm a project engineer so finding me a job is the stickler. Won't be booking any flights or anything till Henry gets his visa tho, just sorted his passport online so waiting for that to come before I can do the visa forms.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Given your husband's reluctance perhaps you might reframe that as a "sabbatical" rather than a "forever" thing. Might make him a little bit more comfortable and dont burn any bridges. I do worry when one partner seems to have to be browbeaten into moving because it often doesnt end well.

Good luck and congratulations on your new arrival!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:46 pm
Soon to be Bris!

Originally Posted by quoll
Given your husband's reluctance perhaps you might reframe that as a "sabbatical" rather than a "forever" thing. Might make him a little bit more comfortable and dont burn any bridges. I do worry when one partner seems to have to be browbeaten into moving because it often doesnt end well.

I totally agree, we won't be going as a forever just a suck it and see. I dont mind us regretting the things we have done, just don't want to regret the things we haven't.

Let's just get us there before we get congratulated!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

Couldn't agree more Quoll. It's stressful enough emigrating without one partner not really wanting it, but just doing it to please the other partner. I honestly cannot think of anything that puts as much strain on a marriage.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

jacm will become famous soon enoughjacm will become famous soon enough

Hi, Well done ....
Can I ask how you finally convinced the OH to go???? We got our PR just over 2 years ago, we were going but could not sell the house and then the recession! so then we were not going, then were going and now.... not going! Pulling my hair out and would welcome any ideas..... I realise it would be stressful making the move but then if we dont go... its still stressful! My OH is fearful of change and always has been - but he does love Aus and is fed up with our lifestyle/work/life balance here!!! Any ideas appreciated! thanks Jacm

Last edited by jacm; Jan 16th 2011 at 10:04 pm.