Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally back on-line in Adelaide!!

Finally back on-line in Adelaide!!

Old Jul 7th 2004, 12:16 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road
Default Finally back on-line in Adelaide!!

We have been here 8 weeks now and things seem to be going ok.

We found a rental property in the first week but as many others have said found the estate agents a waste of time. We have rented via a private landlord and found this house through the to let section of The Advertiser (Wednesdays and Saturdays are best times to look).

Roy got a job in 3 weeks and although it's only casual it's keeping the dingo from the door!!

Kids settled in local state school and loving it. They seem to get more homework during the week than they did in the Uk but none at the weekends which I prefer. I also prefer the fact that they have been more flexible with which year they put the kids in. Tom was in yr2 in Uk and was getting bored because he is a bright lad. Here they have put him up to yr3 and it's done him wonders.

Everything is not all roses round the door, but then I never expected it to be. We have all had our time when we could have quite easily got the next plane home but we know we have to give it time. It seems to be the little things that frustrate like not knowing where to go to buy certain things and trying to go shopping at 5.15pm on saturday and finding everything shut!!(is this just Adelaide or is it Aussie wide??)

Oh and one more thing if you want an upright hoover bring it with you!!!! I couldn't find a reasonably priced one for love nor money and have ended up with one of those awful cylinder ones. Yuck!!!

Will keep in touch now we have the internet sorted. Thanks to everyone who has helped us over the past year or so and good luck to those who are still trying to get here.

Sally, Roy, Laura and Thomas
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default finally back on line in Adelaide

Welcome Sally1968,
Sounds like you have settled in ,all the very best in your new homeland, hope things work out really well for you and your family,as I am sure they will.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

So what's Adelaide actually like?
My wife and I were loking at going there but were warned off it by several Aussies who used to be based there. They said the taxes were really high, stamp duty through the roof for property purchases. Also that it was full of churches and nothing else, slight exageration I appreciate LOL!!

We've been looking recently at Brisbane but with ever increasing house prices who knows...