Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Filing of UK Income Tax Returns Online

Filing of UK Income Tax Returns Online

Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold
Default Filing of UK Income Tax Returns Online

Hi,

Have just logged onto HMRC site to file UK income tax returns and it wont allow as we are non-residents. There is a new box on the first page which says you cant file online if you are a NR. Is this a new development? Have filed the previous 4 years as a NR online and no probs. Dont fancy completing a paper return (or in fact even trying to get hands on one!).

Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

TIA
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:27 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Filing of UK Income Tax Returns Online

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Hi,

Have just logged onto HMRC site to file UK income tax returns and it wont allow as we are non-residents. There is a new box on the first page which says you cant file online if you are a NR. Is this a new development? Have filed the previous 4 years as a NR online and no probs. Dont fancy completing a paper return (or in fact even trying to get hands on one!).

TIA
Paper returns can be downloaded from their site here:

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/h...smentforms.jsp

Download and print. When you send it, make sure you make a copy and send registered to the IR so you have backup if it gets lost.

No idea if it's a new development, but if you can't do it online, you can't do it online. No way around that!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

TIA
No it is not a new development, it was like that when I lived in Bermuda which was 2006 - 2008. At the time it was a note that you should not file on line as a non resident, but not a check box. So I decided not to notice the note ... hard to pretend not to see a check box though. Shame as the UK online filing system works so well.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No it is not a new development, it was like that when I lived in Bermuda which was 2006 - 2008. At the time it was a note that you should not file on line as a non resident, but not a check box. So I decided not to notice the note ... hard to pretend not to see a check box though. Shame as the UK online filing system works so well.
If it isnt new then, I wonder why I have been able to lodge them online previously. They were well aware of our residency status when they issued me with the digital certificate to file online.

Also why not automatically send out paper returns then to NRs?

Ludicrous to revert to paper ones - what with risk of them going missing and the cost of postage.

Doesnt make sense - being a NR doesnt complicate things that much. And as you say the online filing system works relatively well.

Did try to ignore the box but got an error message saying that my stated postcode did not match the format of a UK one.

Think I will be ringing them tonight.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

If it isnt new then, I wonder why I have been able to lodge them online previously. They were well aware of our residency status when they issued me with the digital certificate to file online.

Also why not automatically send out paper returns then to NRs?

Ludicrous to revert to paper ones - what with risk of them going missing and the cost of postage.

Doesnt make sense - being a NR doesnt complicate things that much. And as you say the online filing system works relatively well.

Did try to ignore the box but got an error message saying that my stated postcode did not match the format of a UK one.

Think I will be ringing them tonight.
Are you asking me this?

I expect the online filing system was not sophisticated to recognise that you have previously informed them that you are non resident. It definietly has not changed recently. I also think it is a shame cannot do it online, would make much more sense.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

I have had problems with the HMRC online filing in previous years and have successfully used Legatio Ftax to file online. This can be found at:

http://www.ftax.co.uk/

It costs £14.95 + VAT, which seems a bargain for the convenience of being able to file electronically (and avoid the automatic fine for missing the deadline for paper filing which I have done in previous years).

I am hoping that I can use it again this year as there is no way I will have everything organised to get a paper return back to the UK by the end of October.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:16 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

ok now having a panic - had planned to do our (well OH) uk tax return in January - as owe them money and no incentive to do earlier.
Didn't know you couldn't file online if abroad - have been filing online since it first came out
Also not aware that this would mean need to meet October deadline
Is this correct that I need to do this now to file before end October?

Scotty
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Famous 5
I have had problems with the HMRC online filing in previous years and have successfully used Legatio Ftax to file online. This can be found at:

http://www.ftax.co.uk/

It costs £14.95 + VAT, which seems a bargain for the convenience of being able to file electronically (and avoid the automatic fine for missing the deadline for paper filing which I have done in previous years).

I am hoping that I can use it again this year as there is no way I will have everything organised to get a paper return back to the UK by the end of October.
Thanks for this.

May well go with it if I cannot get an extension to lodge paper one.

Still to put a call into Inland Revenue.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scotty1
Also not aware that this would mean need to meet October deadline
Is this correct that I need to do this now to file before end October?

Scotty
I dont know. I am assuming if you are lodging paper you will only have til Oct 31 which is unfair.

We too are taxable and I want to leave until as late as possible to file.

Will post an update when I find out more.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:33 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

ok - having had a small heart attack I have just managed to file my tax return online!

For info, I have always used Taxcalc (www.taxcalc.com) - it used to be the Which? guide - and have my file by internet set up. Been filing on line for at least 6 years.

I thought I would file my tax return and see if it worked as I had already had a refund from HMRC and thought that it would basically show nothing due, but would enable me to see if I could file abroad

Good news on two fronts. Firstly I now get a refund of £700 in addtion to the refund I have already had and also it allowed me to file online and I have the receipt as well

Will now do hubbys in January as still owe money, just not as much now

Assume there has been some change to allowances that have reduced tax bill. All in all a happy heart attack outcome!

Scotty
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this.

May well go with it if I cannot get an extension to lodge paper one.

Still to put a call into Inland Revenue.
The standard HMRC software online filing software doesn't contain some of the non-resident schedules and may not even accept a non-UK postcode.

I would look at one of the compliant commercial packages (some of which do cater to non-residents) straight away.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Have just spoken to Inland Revenue who have confirmed that you cannot file online if you are NR. (They could not explain why I had been able to do so in the past particularly as they were advised we became NR when we left the UK in 2005.)

They advised to file either a paper return due 31 Oct or use one of the third party software packages in which case you have until Jan 31 to file.

HTH
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

We have been sent forms to fill out. Don't know why they keep sending them? We have no property or income in the uk and this is our 6th year here. We send them back each year with no income and get the assessment saying no tax to pay. What a waste of time and money to continually send them - will it ever end??
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pootle
We have been sent forms to fill out. Don't know why they keep sending them? We have no property or income in the uk and this is our 6th year here. We send them back each year with no income and get the assessment saying no tax to pay. What a waste of time and money to continually send them - will it ever end??

It is very surprising that they have continued to send you tax returns in the situation you describe. Normally after a year or perhaps two of income below threshold or nothing else to declare they will write and say you don't have to do them anymore. It might be worth a letter questioning wjy you still have to do them.

To post above and point on why you had been able to do them online in the past, the answer is that you shouldn't have done them on line. It was never allowed for NR, however that was only stated in the instructions which can be not noticed (as in your case) or ignored (as in my case).