Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fighting for her life Downunder.

Wikiposts

Fighting for her life Downunder.

Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fighting for her life Downunder.

Karma for you and your family and I hope she gets better really really soon.
Thinking of you

hugs Lace x
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:08 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

You sound like a great family, united in their plans and hopes. It is that unity that will bring you through whatever life throws at you. You should all be very proud of yourselves. I truly hope that life will be kind to you from now on. Best of luck and my wishes go with you all.

Anne x
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Originally Posted by DavidT
Hi All,

Wanted to update you on all that's happened, all pretty good news so far, here goes. All has gone as well as it could of with the Chemo & Stem cell transplant, she has taken part in a number of clinical trials with new drugs etc & had the best care that the staff at the P.A Hospital could ever give.
It is now a year on & Steph is in full remission, again all you aim & hope for, then maybe get enough time for them to find a cure, which I believe will happen.
All in all we are quite enjoying ourselves, it would of been pleasant to really assess how deleareously happy we would of been without all this, because i truly believe you could bury me here when it's my time.
A few months being set up in the right place & the business I bought doing ok have set me another quandry now, we want to be here forever now & have to wait until Oct 07 to establish if we meet the Business criteria, if we do we then have to worry about the health criteria being satisfactory.

I have to thank my wife for having more guts & strength than I could of ever hoped for, it has made dealing with this nightmare a lot easier than I could of imagined. The kids are having a ball, they have mixed well & have more friends than ever. The natives are as friendly as, eh! The future although uncertain certainly keeps you focussed, but ya can't plan fer shit.

She doesn't tell me everything & then again I don't really want to know.
I maybe in denial, I will deal with that another day.
One of our dreams has been fulfilled & then again we made it to Paradise so two, just hope we can stay here now, although I will have to start looking at plan B now, coz for me I think uncertainty is the worst thing you can have, & as you all know the uncertainty around the migration process itself & then getting here is enough to leave you a jibbering wreck.

I hope this comes accross positive, it may even ramble a bit, but just writing this has been quite an emotional exercise, hopefully it may of exorcised a few of my ghosts. Thanks for your previous support.
Good luck to you and your family lets hope your wife stays in remission forever. I think you are definately in the right place for some excellant healthcare - we have experienced it first hand too and it was amazing how quick they get you in here.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:39 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I havn't posted for a while, I have had some bad news regarding my wife Stephanie, she has had to go into hospital recently after being fast tracked by a Haematologist who is concerned about his diagnosis which has been confirmed as Myeloma which is Cancer.
It basically attacks all the good blood cells in the bones which makes them become degenerate, compress or fracture. She has had the bone marrow test, she has started on a course of tablets to strengthen the bones & attack the disease. She is now on her 2nd treatment of chemotherapy & a few weeks away from a bone marrow transplant.
It is a very rare disease so they are hopeful for her, it generally affects older people. We are fortunate that Princess Alexander hospital in Brisbane is one of the best blood units in the world & the diagnosis has been picked up so quickly. Our consultant made the appointment for the following morning while we were at our initial consultation.
On the bleak side it is quite bleak, but we may have caught it early enough to give her the best possible chance.
The kids are fine & suspect little & I will keep it that way for the forseeable future.

3 Days later

Steph has had lots of tests, her organs are fine as the disease hasn't got at them which is good. she has no more breaks in her bones 3 fractures in her back causing immense discomfort.
The staff & facilities are fantastic & they are so proffesional, it was a blessing that we came over even if it was just to save her life, which is what we won't find out for some time yet. If we had of been back in the uk, we would of been none the wiser for a while & even then may not of got this kind of priority treatment.
Were hopeful but don't want to ask those questions just yet, we will wait a while, the best we can hope for is remission, they have said she will not do any better than that, but we remain positive.

The kids are happier than i have ever seen them, it's quite incredible really how they have slipped into this life, but they say that about kids don't they, I suppose getting all this fresh air & sunshine, plus there own way all the time is just how we would of liked it as children.

Will write again soon, love David. xxx
Thinking of you all. May you cherish all those moments together and draw strength from the united support of BE.

Ginny
Old Nov 26th 2005, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

kerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nice

Fantastic to hear from you My words you have been dealt some cards, both good and bad. The journey with cancer takes a family on a roller coaster which many could never image.The highs are sooo high and the downs effect you like no other but as you said David it is true inner strength and the ability to have to fight for tomorrow which is so important(never loose this). I do believe your tomorrows will be filled with sunshine and warmth that you deserve. Also its so good to hear the children have found your new life abroad so welcoming and the business doing so well.Please do keep in touch your an inspiration to us all!

god bless
Kerry xx
Old Nov 26th 2005, 5:23 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

good luck to you all. Light and love always...I hope your wife keeps her strength and you keep yours..!!!
Old Nov 26th 2005, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Fighting for her life Downunder.

Originally Posted by Pants
good luck to you all. Light and love always...I hope your wife keeps her strength and you keep yours..!!!
Dear David and Stephanie i am a newbie to the site and have just seen your thread i would like to send you and your family my best wishes for the future and i hope you all have a very happy Christmas
Old Nov 26th 2005, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
Dear David and Stephanie i am a newbie to the site and have just seen your thread i would like to send you and your family my best wishes for the future and i hope you all have a very happy Christmas
Best wishes for you and your family. Its your worst nightmare to be in a new country and one of your loved ones ill. Karma sent hun take care XX
Old Nov 26th 2005, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Hi David to you and your family I wish you the very very best. I have recently been in contact with an ex pat from another forum and they went through something very similar to you and she was telling me that that the medical care they got there was absolutely fantastic. Sending you karma.
Take care
Lesleym
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty new to this forum too and have just read through this thread. Wow! What an incredible thing to go through at what should be such an exciting time. Hats off to you for staying so positive. I hope Steph continues to improve I wish you and your lovely family many many more happy years together (hopefully in Aus . All the Best.
TJ
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:33 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

just wanted to echo what everybody else has expressed on here. all the very best for your wife and her health, and for your family and their helath and happiness. glad to hear that the kids have settled in so well, so that is a weight off your mind. god bless and best wishes for your wife's health.

....and look after yourself too, there's no point you not taking care of yourself (apologies if i sound like a 'mom' and patronising ).
xxx
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Sorry I havn't posted for a while, I have had some bad news regarding my wife Stephanie, she has had to go into hospital recently after being fast tracked by a Haematologist who is concerned about his diagnosis which has been confirmed as Myeloma which is Cancer.
It basically attacks all the good blood cells in the bones which makes them become degenerate, compress or fracture. She has had the bone marrow test, she has started on a course of tablets to strengthen the bones & attack the disease. She is now on her 2nd treatment of chemotherapy & a few weeks away from a bone marrow transplant.
It is a very rare disease so they are hopeful for her, it generally affects older people. We are fortunate that Princess Alexander hospital in Brisbane is one of the best blood units in the world & the diagnosis has been picked up so quickly. Our consultant made the appointment for the following morning while we were at our initial consultation.
On the bleak side it is quite bleak, but we may have caught it early enough to give her the best possible chance.
The kids are fine & suspect little & I will keep it that way for the forseeable future.

3 Days later

Steph has had lots of tests, her organs are fine as the disease hasn't got at them which is good. she has no more breaks in her bones 3 fractures in her back causing immense discomfort.
The staff & facilities are fantastic & they are so proffesional, it was a blessing that we came over even if it was just to save her life, which is what we won't find out for some time yet. If we had of been back in the uk, we would of been none the wiser for a while & even then may not of got this kind of priority treatment.
Were hopeful but don't want to ask those questions just yet, we will wait a while, the best we can hope for is remission, they have said she will not do any better than that, but we remain positive.

The kids are happier than i have ever seen them, it's quite incredible really how they have slipped into this life, but they say that about kids don't they, I suppose getting all this fresh air & sunshine, plus there own way all the time is just how we would of liked it as children.

Will write again soon, love David. xxx
Crikey. Don't know what to say.
Hope Steph gets better real soon. Thinking of you all. xx