Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fighting for her life Downunder.

Fighting for her life Downunder.

Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:14 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about
Default Fighting for her life Downunder.

Sorry I havn't posted for a while, I have had some bad news regarding my wife Stephanie, she has had to go into hospital recently after being fast tracked by a Haematologist who is concerned about his diagnosis which has been confirmed as Myeloma which is Cancer.
It basically attacks all the good blood cells in the bones which makes them become degenerate, compress or fracture. She has had the bone marrow test, she has started on a course of tablets to strengthen the bones & attack the disease. She is now on her 2nd treatment of chemotherapy & a few weeks away from a bone marrow transplant.
It is a very rare disease so they are hopeful for her, it generally affects older people. We are fortunate that Princess Alexander hospital in Brisbane is one of the best blood units in the world & the diagnosis has been picked up so quickly. Our consultant made the appointment for the following morning while we were at our initial consultation.
On the bleak side it is quite bleak, but we may have caught it early enough to give her the best possible chance.
The kids are fine & suspect little & I will keep it that way for the forseeable future.

3 Days later

Steph has had lots of tests, her organs are fine as the disease hasn't got at them which is good. she has no more breaks in her bones 3 fractures in her back causing immense discomfort.
The staff & facilities are fantastic & they are so proffesional, it was a blessing that we came over even if it was just to save her life, which is what we won't find out for some time yet. If we had of been back in the uk, we would of been none the wiser for a while & even then may not of got this kind of priority treatment.
Were hopeful but don't want to ask those questions just yet, we will wait a while, the best we can hope for is remission, they have said she will not do any better than that, but we remain positive.

The kids are happier than i have ever seen them, it's quite incredible really how they have slipped into this life, but they say that about kids don't they, I suppose getting all this fresh air & sunshine, plus there own way all the time is just how we would of liked it as children.

Will write again soon, love David. xxx
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Re: Fighting for her life Downunder.

Originally posted by DavidT
Sorry I havn't posted for a while, I have had some bad news regarding my wife Stephanie, she has had to go into hospital recently after being fast tracked by a Haematologist who is concerned about his diagnosis which has been confirmed as Myeloma which is Cancer.
It basically attacks all the good blood cells in the bones which makes them become degenerate, compress or fracture. She has had the bone marrow test, she has started on a course of tablets to strengthen the bones & attack the disease. She is now on her 2nd treatment of chemotherapy & a few weeks away from a bone marrow transplant.
It is a very rare disease so they are hopeful for her, it generally affects older people. We are fortunate that Princess Alexander hospital in Brisbane is one of the best blood units in the world & the diagnosis has been picked up so quickly. Our consultant made the appointment for the following morning while we were at our initial consultation.
On the bleak side it is quite bleak, but we may have caught it early enough to give her the best possible chance.
The kids are fine & suspect little & I will keep it that way for the forseeable future.

3 Days later

Steph has had lots of tests, her organs are fine as the disease hasn't got at them which is good. she has no more breaks in her bones 3 fractures in her back causing immense discomfort.
The staff & facilities are fantastic & they are so proffesional, it was a blessing that we came over even if it was just to save her life, which is what we won't find out for some time yet. If we had of been back in the uk, we would of been none the wiser for a while & even then may not of got this kind of priority treatment.
Were hopeful but don't want to ask those questions just yet, we will wait a while, the best we can hope for is remission, they have said she will not do any better than that, but we remain positive.

The kids are happier than i have ever seen them, it's quite incredible really how they have slipped into this life, but they say that about kids don't they, I suppose getting all this fresh air & sunshine, plus there own way all the time is just how we would of liked it as children.

Dear David,

I am sorry we havent virtually met before as i am a bit of a newbie. However, I send all your family my best wishes and hope that your wife will go into remission very soon.

I am sure that seeing your children happy in OZ will give a boost of energy to your wife.

Take care,

fabie
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

David
really sorry to hear about Stephanie's illness. I hope that makes a speedy recovery.

All the very best wishe for you and your family.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Brian & Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, don't really know what to say except good luck. As you said, you are in the right place and so the prognosis is better than it would have been in the UK. I am sure I can speak for everyone on here when I say that we wish you the best of luck, and our support to you and your wife is winging its way across the oceans. Keep us posted on how she gets on and anytime you need support, don't forget to look in this forum.

Lou
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

David

You and your family are all in our thoughts, sure you will get alot of support from everyone here and hope for good recovery for Stephanie

Love

Swifts xxxxx
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi DavidT,

Just read you post. Thankyou for sharing it with us when you are going through such a difficult time.

I do hope and pray that all will go well with your wifes treatment.

Good Luck

Whisky
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:22 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

my thoughts are with you and your family. Wishing your wife all the strength to fight off the cancer.

walaj
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

David..

I am sure everyones thoughts on this forum will be with you as you go through what is probably the toughest time of your life. This makes all our moans and groans pale into insignificance. I am pleased they have caught it early enough to deal with it in the best possible way, and i am sure she is in good hands up there.

Do you have any friends or family to talk to and give you support?

Thinking of you

Nicki
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really stumped for words... this sounds like such an awful thing to go through, so far away from home. I'm so glad that your little ones are happy and that your wife is getting good treatment.
I hope you get a chance to rest too, it must be so hard carrying all this on your shoulders.
Take care and best wishes.
Larissa
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:26 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by DavidT

3 Days later

Hello David

I don't think we have ever spoken but makes no matter......I just wanted to say you are all being extremely brave and courageous and I take my hat off to you......

If ever there was a time we Expats need to realign what's important in life, then your post says it all.

I wish you, Stephanie and your children all the very best and am keeping everything crossed in anticipation that good news will follow. God knows...you deserve it......

Loads, loads and loads of best wishes and "chin up" my friend xxxxx

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Jun 16th 2004 at 11:55 am.

Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

All the best DavidT !

Hope your wife keeps fighting and everything works out for you guys
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:33 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Stay strong, try keep positive, and know that there are a lot of us on here sending you our best wishes and support.

Take care, lots of luck.

Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

My thoughts are with you, your wife and family and I hope and pray for her speedy recovery.

All the best with everything

Poppy
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:37 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus David, Im stunned, hoping that Steph isnt in too much pain (I know how debilitating & depressing that can be) & that the docs are doing everything they can. Is she in hospital now or just day visits? No wonder the poor thing was so uncomfortable last time we saw you .

You have my number, please please please call if there is anything at all I can do. Hugs & kisses to both Steph & you

Robyn & Eddie
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:55 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

David...........what can I say except I'm so sorry to hear your news. I really hope they've caught it in time and that Stephanie's treatment goes well. The pressure on you must be immense...you've not been over there long and now you've been hit with such a blow.
You're strong....but lean on those around you who've offered their support and make sure you look after yourself.

Keep us all posted here when you can.....our thoughts are with you.

Petra

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.