Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FEW RULES to keep in mind when looking work in Oz

FEW RULES to keep in mind when looking work in Oz

Old Mar 13th 2003, 12:46 am
Just Joined

garryinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation FEW RULES to keep in mind when looking work in Oz

This is based on personal observations that i have made during my 6 months of PR here in VIC. But i thought i might save some unnecessary trouble for our new immigrants looking for jobs or are about to.

TWO GOLDEN RULES to keep in mind:
1. If u r a male, dont waste ur time applying for admin/office type positions. You would be more than encouraged to apply, be also called for the interview and ultimately not selected. This is not an accusation, please. Go looking in offices, you will find maximum of the fairer sex and a very few males.. What happened to the skills of males? But thats the way it is........ I have come to accept it after wasting a few hundred in travelling!!!!!!

2. No one speaks about "discrimination", but it strongly exists, could be based on sexes or skin colour or just simple plain prejudices that people in general have.

3. People already working (regulars/full time/part-time) here are easily threatened by the new immigrants, as the new commers are more ready to do hard work, in quite a few cases highly educated and skilled.
The FEAR of being superceeded is written all over them. So be careful, dont SCARE your would be employer. You would stand no chance.

But I feel, still this is a great country offering a better future for myself and for my kids aged 14 and 7. Initial settling down problems are surely there and more intense as the system is new and a new comer knows nothing about it.

AND DONT THROW ME THE CRAP THAT THIS IS THE MOST MULTICULURE TOLERANT SOCIETY.
The most common question that i have heard when people from different nationalities get together is "What nationality are u?" And the moment the other person realises that u r from another country, he just drops the conversation.

This is based on personal experiences i have had here as an "Independent Skilled Immigrant". I dont mean to offend anyone.

i am looking forward to replies from people who have had similar experiences.
CHEERS!
garryinoz
Old Mar 13th 2003, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Default Re: FEW RULES to keep in mind when looking work in Oz

Originally posted by garryinoz
This is based on personal observations that i have made during my 6 months of PR here in VIC. But i thought i might save some unnecessary trouble for our new immigrants looking for jobs or are about to.

1. If u r a male, dont waste ur time applying for admin/office type positions. You would be more than encouraged to apply, be also called for the interview and ultimately not selected. This is not an accusation, please. Go looking in offices, you will find maximum of the fairer sex and a very few males.. What happened to the skills of males? But thats the way it is........ I have come to accept it after wasting a few hundred in travelling!!!!!!

2. No one speaks about "discrimination", but it strongly exists, could be based on sexes or skin colour or just simple plain prejudices that people in general have.

3. People already working (regulars/full time/part-time) here are easily threatened by the new immigrants, as the new commers are more ready to do hard work, in quite a few cases highly educated and skilled.
The FEAR of being superceeded is written all over them. So be careful, dont SCARE your would be employer. You would stand no chance.

But I feel, still this is a great country offering a better future for myself and for my kids aged 14 and 7. Initial settling down problems are surely there and more intense as the system is new and a new comer knows nothing about it.

The most common question that i have heard when people from different nationalities get together is "What nationality are u?" And the moment the other person realises that u r from another country, he just drops the conversation.

This is based on personal experiences i have had here as an "Independent Skilled Immigrant". I dont mean to offend anyone.

CHEERS!
garryinoz

No one to express their opinion?????????

Old Mar 13th 2003, 1:49 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

No one to express their opinion?????????

I posted a similar comment 6 months after we arrived. I was OK as I had a job lined up here but my Czech wife, who speaks word perfect English with only a slight accent, went through what you obviously have. On a couple of occasions when my wife was rejected for positions that she was probably over qualified for she harassed the agency to find out why she was rejected. In both instances the answer was the same - she was perfect for the job but they wanted to give the job to an Australian. Its not so bad in the 'global' companies. My advice is put extra effort into targetting those big brand global corporations.
Stick with it, eventually my wife got two offers, one from an American company which had American management and one from a Japanese company with Japanese managment.
She got not so much as a sniff of a job offer from an Australian. She has very little time for Australians after 2 years here. She says the Japanese and Europeans work hard in her place but the Australians chat/moan/chat all day long and then struggle home after such an exhausting day of exploiting the work ethic of foreigners!!
Old Mar 13th 2003, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Herman
I posted a similar comment 6 months after we arrived. I was OK as I had a job lined up here but my Czech wife, who speaks word perfect English with only a slight accent, went through what you obviously have. On a couple of occasions when my wife was rejected for positions that she was probably over qualified for she harassed the agency to find out why she was rejected. In both instances the answer was the same - she was perfect for the job but they wanted to give the job to an Australian. Its not so bad in the 'global' companies. My advice is put extra effort into targetting those big brand global corporations.
Stick with it, eventually my wife got two offers, one from an American company which had American management and one from a Japanese company with Japanese managment.
She got not so much as a sniff of a job offer from an Australian. She has very little time for Australians after 2 years here. She says the Japanese and Europeans work hard in her place but the Australians chat/moan/chat all day long and then struggle home after such an exhausting day of exploiting the work ethic of foreigners!!
Well mate, u were lucky and must say "an honest employment agency that was". But don't u think thats illegal????????
And look at the guts they had to tell u on ur face that they wanted an Ozzy.
Though there is another side also, there are certian jobs that require u to be an Australian citizen and just being a Permanent resident just aint enough. But they r very few. We are eligible for most of them as far as Visa requirements are concerned.
Thanks for the advice. Infact the Japanese are having a very active recruitement programme from right here in Australia, especially for English teachers.
Any more??????

garryinoz
Old Mar 13th 2003, 2:46 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

CHEERS!
garryinoz
What you written is very true and fair unless you are Aussie born the locals fear new comers because they are better educated and bring upto date ideas .
The way to get on is to praise the lucky country and play dumb its a case that the person in front of you will except a dumb Pom its a dumbing down country.
At interviews give answers that involve statements like you do this better or that better they love bull, and knock the Mother country keep telling them how lucky you are to be here.
The reason they gave you a visa is because they require your skills so that shows how the local kids fare in jobs they would rather import people than train them , and you say your kids will have a better furture here dream on.
PS The Aussies are not racist they just build themselfs up by putting every one esle down.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Mar 13th 2003 at 2:49 am.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

gunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the rough
Arrow

O "wise one" tell the "less wise" what you mean by "dream on" when garryinoz said about better future about his kids.
gunitm
Old Mar 13th 2003, 2:55 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by gunitm
O "wise one" tell the "less wise" what you mean by "dream on" when garryinoz said about better future about his kids.
gunitm

A country that imports skilled migrants and has high figures of youth unemployment , is not giving anybodies kids a fair go.
Most of my friends kids here are odd jobbing or stuck in unskilled trades they compete with the highly skilled immigrants for work.

Old Mar 13th 2003, 3:04 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by gunitm
gunitm
You dare ask the Wise One for a definitions of the oft-used "dream on" phrase? How dare you!
Old Mar 13th 2003, 3:07 am
Just Joined

My ignorance and foolish inquisitive mind in no way means to trouble the "wise ONES"
Old Mar 13th 2003, 3:08 am
Banned

Originally posted by ptlabs
You dare ask the Wise One for a definitions of the oft-used "dream on" phrase? How dare you!
Your input is always welcome I take it this thread is okay and can be allowed , no reason to use your powers here O keeper of the faith?

Old Mar 13th 2003, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Your input is always welcome I take it this thread is okay and can be allowed , no reason to use your powers here O keeper of the faith?

Its really funny how God made this world and put the things where He wanted and distributed the resources the way he felt was proper. The part of the world that I come from, Australia is Haven, especially for the kids. You better believe me. You ain't seen nothin yet. I am thankful for all that He has given me.
And what you say is also very true, the standard of education and the basic system of education in itself is KAPUT, but still this country has an eceonomy 29 times better than mine!!!
Long live the Ozzy beer and bums my friends. And letsh all shlurp the lasht drop of eet!
a..ghrburphaaaaaaaaa.
garryinoz
Old Mar 13th 2003, 3:37 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
How dareth I, a mere mortal, question the irrevocable right of the Wise One to abuse any and every one on this forum?
Old Mar 13th 2003, 3:40 am
Just Joined

appppolllogeeeesh Shire, me apoloojeeesh@#$%^
Old Mar 13th 2003, 3:48 am
Banned

Its really funny how God made this world and put the things where He wanted and distributed the resources the way he felt was proper. The part of the world that I come from, Australia is Haven, especially for the kids. You better believe me. You ain't seen nothin yet. I am thankful for all that He has given me.
And what you say is also very true, the standard of education and the basic system of education in itself is KAPUT, but still this country has an eceonomy 29 times better than mine!!!
Long live the Ozzy beer and bums my friends. And letsh all shlurp the lasht drop of eet!
a..ghrburphaaaaaaaaa.
garryinoz
You have to be right Australia is the lucky country , lucky if you not here get real .
I do wonder why some many of my friends kids cannot get out of Australia fast enough when they grow up great economy for what?

PS 6% unemployment is good for what it would be a recession anywhere else.

AUSTRALIA'S three-month run of stellar jobs growth stalled in February with employment falling by 12,300, although the jobless rate eased back to six per cent.

The unemployment rate is now one percentage point lower than the peak of seven per cent in January last year, matching last October's two-year low.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Mar 13th 2003 at 3:53 am.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Tell ya something interesting. I met a teacher doing work of pizza delivery driver, the other day. I asked her why she was doing this as teaching profession (Secondary School Teacher) is so highly paid (25-30$/hr). She says "teaching is very stressful and frustrating as u have to deliver a product that no one wants as studenst in schools, but when u deliver pizza people wait for it eagerly".
I know there r different sides of it, but most of the teachers i've seen dont want to do it.The question is "WHY" The education policy needs to be fixed because if the kids dont want to study in schools then how do they acquire degrees and ultimately be able to leave Australia as grown ups for better places. As i am of the opinion that education does take a person towards better horizons.
School teacher sjust want to run away from teaching possibly due to the treatment that the students meet out to the teachers.
What say all?
garryinoz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.