Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A few (inane) observations to date

Wikiposts

A few (inane) observations to date

Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
"Rivers", do they have them there? decent shorts and shirts for blokes who want to look a bit better than a singlet and stubbies.
But still have to be casual enough or people stare (like they do in QLD) if you look nice.

---

Yes they do - just looked them up in the phone book. I'll have to have a butchers sometime otherwise I can see my hubby still dressing like a hoon at 50. Not that there is anything wrong with that - just that I am not ageing as well as him and my surf chick days are well and truly up. , well actually, they never even began...
Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:41 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DianeOZ
Originally posted by dotty
"Rivers", do they have them there? decent shorts and shirts for blokes who want to look a bit better than a singlet and stubbies.
But still have to be casual enough or people stare (like they do in QLD) if you look nice.

---

Yes they do - just looked them up in the phone book. I'll have to have a butchers sometime otherwise I can see my hubby still dressing like a hoon at 50. Not that there is anything wrong with that - just that I am not ageing as well as him and my surf chick days are well and truly up. , well actually, they never even began...
Are they actually made of cotton?
Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Merlot
No longer in NSW, I now have a cheque book (HSBC Bank On-line)and no charges, it was aboloished about a year or so ago the BAD tax that is.

Ozzies don't seem to use cheques as much as they do in the UK.
Quite true - no BAD tax anymore here.

I think we write a cheque about once a year. You can pay all bills via BPAY on the net, direct from Bank or Credit card account. We charge literally everything to Credit Card (to get points to convert to Store vouchers - so like getting cash back), pay it all each month via Internet transfer. Use EFTPOS only when we want cash out as well. Means you never have to go to an ATM and never have to write a cheque. Also keeps those pesky bank charges down.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
Are they actually made of cotton?
Rivers has heaps of cotton or part cotton clothes. Vital for the humidity, isnt it.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:32 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Rivers has heaps of cotton or part cotton clothes. Vital for the humidity, isnt it.
you may know this one - do you know of any place I can buy 100% cotton bed sheets? - I can't seem to find any . I can only find poly/cotton mixes. All my cotton sheets are thinning/thread bare (bought them in Sing) - I badly need some new ones.

How hard is it to find 100% cotton sheets - perhaps I'm looking in the wrong shops.

Anyone know where I can buy them in Brisbane.

cheers
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

To be classed as a surf shop I think the only requirement is to purchase a surf board and glue it to the ceiling.

Colorado is ok for stuff you can wear to work. I'm not a massive fan of Gap, but I cannot believe they don't have branches here. When you look at whats required for the average office fella here you'd imagine they'd clean up.

Cotton Sheets - Robinsons on Orchard - go on you know you want to.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:06 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Girls, if your small and like feminine stuff, look at the "Basque" range in a big Myer store. Really pretty stuff, very french looking somehow but casual at the same time. Hard to describe. Just got a 50's style sundress, and a beaded thing that everyone in London thought was a collette dinnigan (like as if I would pay 2 grand for a dress ) Prices from $40.00 to $190.00 for a really well cut jacket or evening type dress. Plus Myer often chops off 30%.
I went to Rivers once.

All the buttons fell off the shirt and the trousers were crap and shrunk unevenly even after a warm wash.

I shop at Good Sammy for my clothes.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:17 pm
ABCDiamond

The Suburb "Stones Corner", in Brisbane, has many factory outlet shops, mainly clothes, but some others aslo.

Well worth a visit.

I won't take my wife there now though, she saw the Royal Doulton Factory outlet shop !!!

Old Jan 12th 2004, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Moonstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
For you ladies there are rumours Mango is going to open a store in the new Westfields at Bondi Junction and another in Melbourne. The mrs would think all her Xmasses have arrived if Zara arrives as well.
Yippeee, I was worrying alittle about missing my Mango it won't be too big a culture shock if and when we move if they are in Melbourne (Not a Zara fan myself). Is there a Karen Millen by any chance?
Old Jan 12th 2004, 11:12 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Diane, have you tried Colorado? There is one in the Galleria in Morley and a few dotted about! Nice clothes for men and women, the best I've seen since being here that isn't to over priced.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

No - I haven't even been to the Galleria yet!! I'll keep my eyes open - thanks

Diane.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Karen Thompson
Yippeee, I was worrying alittle about missing my Mango it won't be too big a culture shock if and when we move if they are in Melbourne (Not a Zara fan myself). Is there a Karen Millen by any chance?

Gawwd.

Is this a clothes "name dropping" session?
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

OMG I am such a pleb, I don't even recognise the names: :scared:
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:24 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
Gawwd.

Is this a clothes "name dropping" session?
Yeah, I'll drop the name again...

GOOD SAMMY

You can't go wrong with dead men's clothes.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
This snippet from WA Government
[I]Section 16 of the Business Tax Review Assessment Act 2003 will abolish Stamp Duty on cheques from 1 January 2004.
The Stamp Duty should have been repealed long ago with the advent of GST. Things happen slowly in the West - it's a timezone thing.

There was/is a separate state tax which applied if you had cheque access even if you didn't use a cheque. That is supposed to have gone/be going too.

Anyway, BPay is the way to go. Imagine a country where your deposit book fills up fast than your cheque book!

When it comes to men's clothes, don't overlook Vinnies. But I wouldn't renew my thongs there.