Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling very choked up...

Feeling very choked up...

Old Aug 11th 2007, 6:48 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of
Unhappy Feeling very choked up...

Let me set the stage...

Spent the day enjoying the beautiful sunshine today. Did 2 loads of washing, read a magazine, had lunch and then put the ironing board up. As per the Blighty habit of having the radio on whilst ironing, I decided to listen to Terry Wogan's show from Fri morning. Hubby decided he'd have a snooze on the settee.

All of sudden I am really missing family and friends. I feel like catching the next flight home but we are committed for a year to rent this place.

It was my idea to come here so why am I feeling so awful? Hubby thinks it's going to be great (having talked him into leaving his kids behind - 27,25 & 15) but I keep thinking that we are in a beautiful place but we have no-one to share it with. We can't ring up anyone and ask them to come over for a BBQ or dinner or just a coffee! So, is it really worth being in such a lovely country but feel incredibly lonely?

Neither of us have jobs yet. As many of you have experienced, companies don't even bother sending a rejection letter! Been here since 1st June but feel like I have had enough of sitting around, going shopping and spending precious money that we can ill afford and basically I am just feeling like I want to pack up right now. I am almost jealous of people who are going back.

Is this beautiful Sat afternoon getting to me? Am I being foolish as we haven't been here that long (2nd time round though)? Feel like I just need to be with family and friends - what have I done by coming here, especially after the last failed attempt at making a go of it?

Sorry, used hubby's login by mistake....
Old Aug 11th 2007, 6:54 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling very choked up...

Where abouts are you??

Your location shows UK?
Old Aug 11th 2007, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaw, its still early days yet hun,, you're bound to be missing family and friends.
Let people here know where you are and I bet you will soon have a new circle of fab mates! and every one of them will know exactly what you are going/have been through
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:00 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sam
Where abouts are you??

Your location shows UK?
We are in Sydney. Will get hubby to change the location.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:02 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a shame

I was going to say we'll meet up for coffee, but its a bit far for me to go
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:15 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kernow1
We are in Sydney. Will get hubby to change the location.
It is very early days for you-psychologists reckon it takes someone an average of 4 months to settle into a new job so imagine how much longer to settle into a complete new life I grew up in Sydney til age 4 and practically all my family are there so I know it's a wonderful place and in a years time you'll probably feel completely different. Why dont you organise a get together for other new Sydneysiders in the Meet ups section?
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:20 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

It is early days yet .... don't be so hard on yourself.
People really need to give themselves a year to find their feet completely - with jobs, friends, the emotions they have brought with them etc..

Take care, you'll be right
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB
It is very early days for you-psychologists reckon it takes someone an average of 4 months to settle into a new job so imagine how much longer to settle into a complete new life I grew up in Sydney til age 4 and practically all my family are there so I know it's a wonderful place and in a years time you'll probably feel completely different. Why dont you organise a get together for other new Sydneysiders in the Meet ups section?
I have 'moments' where I feel like that too! Its strange things that trigger it too, like today, felt very sentimental about the weather of all things! Nice, sunny, 26 degrees, sea breeze, but it reminded me of a UK summer (nooo not on a rainy day)! Have suggested to hubby we plan for a trip back to the UK next year, he doesn't want to. Kids aren't bothered either, its just me. Would just like to see my sis Katy, my nieces and nephews and catch up with friends.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

turkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the rough

check out these guys
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469053
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Central coast may not help much but go into the Meet Up forum, there is always a meet going on in Sydney both CBD and outlying suburbs.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Oh Bless............ dont worry, i still feel like that after 2 and a bit years
Here in Adelaide we didn't see much sun today.... doesn't help a?
So i have opened a bottle of red wine
Take care xx
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:51 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Let me set the stage...

Spent the day enjoying the beautiful sunshine today. Did 2 loads of washing, read a magazine, had lunch and then put the ironing board up. As per the Blighty habit of having the radio on whilst ironing, I decided to listen to Terry Wogan's show from Fri morning. Hubby decided he'd have a snooze on the settee.

All of sudden I am really missing family and friends. I feel like catching the next flight home but we are committed for a year to rent this place.

It was my idea to come here so why am I feeling so awful? Hubby thinks it's going to be great (having talked him into leaving his kids behind - 27,25 & 15) but I keep thinking that we are in a beautiful place but we have no-one to share it with. We can't ring up anyone and ask them to come over for a BBQ or dinner or just a coffee! So, is it really worth being in such a lovely country but feel incredibly lonely?

Neither of us have jobs yet. As many of you have experienced, companies don't even bother sending a rejection letter! Been here since 1st June but feel like I have had enough of sitting around, going shopping and spending precious money that we can ill afford and basically I am just feeling like I want to pack up right now. I am almost jealous of people who are going back.

Is this beautiful Sat afternoon getting to me? Am I being foolish as we haven't been here that long (2nd time round though)? Feel like I just need to be with family and friends - what have I done by coming here, especially after the last failed attempt at making a go of it?

Know exactly how you are feeling. Things have been going ok for me, I never felt homesick at all, but today I woke up feeling really sad and despondant due to not being able to find work. I even searched the internet attempting to find cheap flights so I can go home. I think the best thing is to just take each day at a time. Sorry thats the only advice I can give, but like others have said, it will get easier. We just have to deal with days like this knowing it will soon pass.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

John50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the rough

Let me set the stage...

Ditto

Not a day goes by that i don`t want to get on a plane and go home
I am sick and tired of sending out hundreds of C.Vs and getting nowhere not even a rejection letter....
We are staying with friends and while they are wonderfull and can`t do enough for us its not like we have our own life
But i am not giving up without a fight and sooner or later i will find a job and then a house and i know it will be easier after that......
Best of luck to you....
Old Aug 11th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont give up on the job front guys,, it took my hubby 5 months and countless rejections during which time we used up most of the money we brought with us.
He now has a really good job with Siemens and despite being broke we have managed to buy a block of land and tomorrow we are putting a deposit down on a house build.
There will be days where you feel like giving up (believe me I know ) but hang in there and one day it should all start to come together.

Meet everyone and anyone who asks you, you won't click with everyone but you will end up with some good friends.
My girlfriends that I have made here through a different expat site mean the world to me, and we try to be there for each other when needed
Old Aug 11th 2007, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I put my son on the plane back to the UK yesterday. Up until that moment I've been absolutely fine. Yesterday however, I could have booked a flight back there and then.

I feel a bit better this morning, but I didn't sleep much last night and the house feels really empty.

I know it will pass, and in a few days I'll be OK again. Hang in there, even the most settled of us have bad times every now and then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.