Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling rather down...

Feeling rather down...

Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:28 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Feeling rather down...

Anyone else homesick?

All this talk about spring, combined with this morning chatting to a few mates, my mum and reading an email with loads of photos attached (from mum and dad), has left me feeling a bit grey.

Sure....the sun is shining, its 10am and its 26, there is a boat on the lawn and i am going camping again this weekend....

BUT!!

I want to share it with my parents, i want to have a beer with my mates, i want a have some wine and a laff with the sister.

The folks went to Brussels at the weekend with the neighbours, normally we would have gone with them too...sent back lots of pics of them trying local beers (yes...i like beer ok? ). I want to be in those pics!!!!!!

Does it get any easier??
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:31 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Feeling rather down...

Originally posted by PeteY
Anyone else homesick?

All this talk about spring, combined with this morning chatting to a few mates, my mum and reading an email with loads of photos attached (from mum and dad), has left me feeling a bit grey.

Sure....the sun is shining, its 10am and its 26, there is a boat on the lawn and i am going camping again this weekend....

BUT!!

I want to share it with my parents, i want to have a beer with my mates, i want a have some wine and a laff with the sister.

The folks went to Brussels at the weekend with the neighbours, normally we would have gone with them too...sent back lots of pics of them trying local beers (yes...i like beer ok? ). I want to be in those pics!!!!!!

Does it get any easier??
Yes, mate, it does.

If you want to be in the photos with the parents, it's easy - get them out here for a hol, and take loads of pictures!!! Think outside the box.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hi PeteY
can't answer your question i'm afraid as i'm not in your position yet, just remember the reasons you went to Australia in the first place
kind regards
rach & family x
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:34 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Does it get any easier??

It gets easier for some but not for others. Not for me anyway. The homesickness won the battle I'am afraid.

There are people on here that like to comment about homesickness and not having the social circles as we did back home. I have made an effort to get to know lots of people since being here, anywhere in the world is easy to make friends if you are prepared to make the first move. But they would never replace my friends that I've known for years and grew up with. thats the bottm line. Family can never be replaced

Try and cheer yourself up, I'am sure you'll feel better soon.

How long have you been in Oz?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Family can never be replaced
[/QUOTE]

Oh how i sometimes wish they could be!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:37 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by janeyray
It gets easier for some but not for others. Not for me anyway. The homesickness won the battle I'am afraid.

There are people on here that like to comment about homesickness and not having the social circles as we did back home. I have made an effort to get to know lots of people since being here, anywhere in the world is easy to make friends if you are prepared to make the first move. But they would never replace my friends that I've known for years and grew up with. thats the bottm line. Family can never be replaced

Try and cheer yourself up, I'am sure you'll feel better soon.

How long have you been in Oz?
Been here for about 3 months now....not long i know, but i have a very close family.

I am sure i will be fine, and tis great seeing the wife so happy. Her family have been great, and i am sure it will help in the long run. Ho hum....
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Pete!

Still haven't changed my name to downunderdiva like you said!!

We all left about the same time and so I think by now, things are beginning to settle into a bit of normality rather than the holiday mode we had when we first arrived.

My kids were listening to a story Cd the other day and one part said about snowdrops and crocuses appearing along country lanes. I was in tears as we lived along a country lane and now being in Melb, I felt so so homesick. God that sounds like Enid Blyton in the extreme doesn't it!!!

We came never saying it would be for good, and I don't think it will be, we just wanted a different experience. As Dotty said in another thread, no amount of emails, phonecalls etc make up for a hug from friends and family.

Hang in there matey! We all feel the same at times!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:42 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Been here for about 3 months now....not long i know, but i have a very close family.

I am sure i will be fine, and tis great seeing the wife so happy. Her family have been great, and i am sure it will help in the long run. Ho hum....
It's normally the women who feel worse but if your wife is Aussie then no wonder she's not feeling homesick! Was she homesick in the UK for OZ?

I'am sure things will get better for you, what will be will be!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:43 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

[i]

Does it get any easier??
====================================

Hi PeteY

I can't answer this either as not got to Oz yet. What I can say though is that it's normal to miss parents, siblings,mates. Shows you're a decent bloke who has values....

Our minds have a wonderful way of playing tricks. Memories are precious and we seem to remember all the good times much more clearly after the event. Take comfort from this my friend.

Give mum, dad, sis and friends a ring and arrange for some to visit Oz and give you all something to work towards/look fwd to.

Get out and about and talk to Ozzies too......invite some round and get into a social circle. You need to move fwd and submerge into Oz culture but also accept these will not compensate for your fond memories of what was "home". Its different.

Chin up, get yourself a beer...... and toast those memories above!

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:47 pm
home again, home again

Originally posted by suffolkdiva

one part said about snowdrops and crocuses appearing along country lanes. I was in tears as we lived along a country lane and now being in Melb, I felt so so homesick.

We came never saying it would be for good, and I don't think it will be, we just wanted a different experience.
It's strange what we miss isn't it!?

I wish more people would say that they were coming for the experience rather than saying they are coming here to start a new life. Giving up your home 'for good' is extreme and is very hard to do. We thought it would be forever too, but it's not for us either. We've have had a good 'experience' over the past year and can look back with a smile at our time here.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:48 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's your turn mate...
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:49 pm
Not here

Originally posted by Florida_03
It's your turn mate...
Your turn in life...
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:55 pm
A Male Member

Cheers for the moral support all...

Having the aussie wife is helping in someways, i have her family and friends to chat with, i have some guys from work who i get on with pretty well. I don't feel at all lonely or anything our here, i just miss the people i mentioned before is all.

I guess the enormity of the social change is only just settling in really. Back home, i used to see the parents every couple of days, we used to go to my nans every friday night for dinner, then go to the pub with mates, I used to play footie on Sundays with "Da Boyz" (as the wife used to call them ). Here i do lots of things that are different, and i still love them, i am still having a whale of a time out here....im just pining for the people who used to make up such a large part of my life.

Anyway......i'll be fine Pheonix......already arranged for the sister to come over in July, and my parents are hoping for May, so that'll be great....

Slightly off topic i know.....Suffolkdiva.....do you still see Mr T? (TerryG) Hows he doing, i hav'nt seen him on MSN for ages.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:01 pm
Not here

Cheers for the moral support all...

Having the aussie wife is helping in someways, i have her family and friends to chat with, i have some guys from work who i get on with pretty well. I don't feel at all lonely or anything our here, i just miss the people i mentioned before is all.

I guess the enormity of the social change is only just settling in really. Back home, i used to see the parents every couple of days, we used to go to my nans every friday night for dinner, then go to the pub with mates, I used to play footie on Sundays with "Da Boyz" (as the wife used to call them ). Here i do lots of things that are different, and i still love them, i am still having a whale of a time out here....im just pining for the people who used to make up such a large part of my life.

Anyway......i'll be fine Pheonix......already arranged for the sister to come over in July, and my parents are hoping for May, so that'll be great....

Slightly off topic i know.....Suffolkdiva.....do you still see Mr T? (TerryG) Hows he doing, i hav'nt seen him on MSN for ages.
How's the job going???
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pete,

We see Terry and Sharon most weeks, had a good day out together on Sunday down the Mornington peninsula.

They're OK. Struggling for work like my hubby is. Both do the same job so can comiserate together. They get a few short contracts but nothing permanent yet.

Saying that, they are building a house further round the bay, due to move in in Nov.

I'll tell him you say Hi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.