Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling homesick

Feeling homesick

Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Tamara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feeling homesick

Hi, Me and my husband have emmigrated from England to Sydney and have been here for 5 months. We are living in Sutherland, and feeling very homesick. Does anyone feel the same as us?? The grass isnt always greener like you think. We have also moved out here without knowing anyone so are feeling lonley ah how sad, yes we know but there has got to be other people feeling like us, would be good to chat to poms as ozies just dont understand the little things you miss like pg tips and vimto ha So does anyone have any advice ??
Tamara and Mark
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

AussieinLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feeling homesick

Originally posted by Tamara
Does anyone feel the same as us??
Tamara and Mark
I should think so. I know I do, having made the opposite move. Just wait for the posts...

One tip, based on my experiences today. Try to source something you miss locally (you'll be surprised what you'll find online), make the stupid journey half way across town and get the thing, however trivial. It's very satisfying I can tell you. I've just wolfed down a packet of Twisties that cost me a trip into the crowds of Covent Garden and I've not been happier for weeks.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:33 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Me and my husband have emmigrated from England to Sydney and have been here for 5 months. We are living in Sutherland, and feeling very homesick. Does anyone feel the same as us?? The grass isnt always greener like you think. We have also moved out here without knowing anyone so are feeling lonley ah how sad, yes we know but there has got to be other people feeling like us, would be good to chat to poms as ozies just dont understand the little things you miss like pg tips and vimto ha So does anyone have any advice ??
Tamara and Mark
Hello Tamara,

It is perfectly natural for you to feel lonely, this time of year probably makes being away from 'home' more poignant. I think I saw PG Tips on sale at Coles this week (we are in WA) I know I saw them somewhere. I do think it can be more difficult to integrate if you don't have children because you aren't involved in a large part of daily community life.

We are travelling around Oz in the New Year and can drop in for a visit when we hit Sydney if you like.

The grass isn't greener, in Perth its beginning to die off now with the heat of the sun so some is green and some is brown.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:35 am
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Tamara and Mark
Ohhh don't say that!
Haven't you picked up on the negative vibe at the moment , don't add to it.
You could have had a postive post asking if any one wants to get wrecked with you over christmas.
As for T bags get on http://www.britsabroad.co.uk/ and order some. You still have time to order and receive before Christmas.

Now you know you like it really don't you!?!?!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:54 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tamara

We lived in Sutherland when we were in Sydney a few years back on a working visa.

It's a nice little town isn't it? You are so close to the Royal National Park and there is so much to do in there - all those beaches, nice walks in the forest (mind you, after the forest fires a year or so ago it would be interesting to see how much forest is left!).

Get yourself a National Parks sticker - costs something like $60 but you can get into all the National Parks for free in NSW - of which there are many.

I found the people of Sutherland to be quite nice - our neighbours were very friendly and always offered to help us out, or just came by to say hello. They were very interested to hear we were from the UK and that we were travelling around Australia. Even people in the shops, fruit and veg places, library - all very nice and would always chat.

Cronulla is such a nice place as well.

Do they still have that Native Australian restaurant in Sutherland? The food there was lovely.

I always find that the best way to get use to a place is to get to know the natives. The sports centre in Sutherland is a great place - very clean with lots of different activities. Lots of people use it.

Have you got a computer at home? Maybe get a webcam or use one of the messenger things (yahoo or MSN) for instant chats with your friends back home.

Well, not very much advice at how to stop feeling homesick. Just get out more, either on your own or with each other. Try not to think of the things you are missing, but rather look at all the new things there are to try. There must be a large ex-pat community out there if you really want to speak to other Brits.

Good luck and hope you don't feel too homesick for much longer.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it probably doesnt help much when you are feeling home sick , but think of us sad people still waiting for our visas.

Today is sunny here in Portsmouth ( how unusual I hear you say)
Sunny but bloody cold, last week it rained nearly every day. You know the type of day. Grey, all day, and horrible drizzle rain, This then created a tail back on the motorway whic had aknock on effect on all the other main roads in the city. Took me an hour to get to work, (it is only 5 miles away)

Then when I finally get home at the end of the day ( and yes it is still raining) it once again takes me alifetime, through the traffic, then lo and behold, there is no where to park.

I cant wait to get away from the rat race. I know people get homesick, but we visualise pretty snowy scenes at chrimbo, children playing in the snow, carol singers calling at the door. When in reality this is of times gone by
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:41 am
Just Joined

jimmyz is an unknown quantity at this point

no wonder you're flippin homesick - you're living in "The Shire". I have aussie mates in sydney that on occassion when they go down there they comment on how Ocker australian the vibe is.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:57 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Tamara,

I'm really sorry you're feeling homesick, this must be the worst time of year, I dont really have any advice as I havn't experienced this (yet) but I wonder if remembering the reasons that you chose to go would help?

Its freezing cold here, I've just been to do a weekly shop and had to queue for 20 minutes to park then been jostled and scowled at all the way round! I understand missing friends and family but remember the grotty stuff you've left behind.

Sending you some positive thoughts, hope it works out,

Michaela
Old Dec 9th 2003, 12:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tamara,
You could try what I did, and launch a post suggesting a meet with other expats/Aussies form the site? You never know, it might work. Ours is next weekend in Brissie, so a bit far for you I guess.

I've been here 6 weeks, I still get twinges of homesickness and I expect they will be worse at Christmas or birthdays. I know what you mean about the pg tips and stuff - poor Mrs Dagboy has been run ragged round Brissie trying to find me cheese, and garlic mayonnaise, and I got some very starnge looks in Coles today when I found some grapefruit juice (not the pink stuff) and gave a whoop of delight!!!

The only advice I can give you is - remember why you came; go out and do the things you came to do, and remember that we are the lucky ones - this is a chance of a lifetime, and we owe it to everyone who has helped us to at least give it a go, and try and enjoy it, so that even if it falls apart in the end at least we tried.
the other thing to try is - smile and talk to everyone - some of them will just think you're a mad Pom, but some of them may turn into good mates.

Meantime - come on you lot, plenty of you down in Sydney, how about meeting up - especially if you can introduce Tamara and hubby to some new mates!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi Tamara
We are in perth and have to say ride the storm. We have been here now nearly 14 months , the first 6 were hell i have to say , and i so wanted to go home. But we have kept going and it is getting easier. My parents came out a month ago and have gone home now , but as sad as the goodbyes where again , i dont want to go back to the UK now , this is home !!
Chin up get out make friends it will get easier i promise
Joanne
Old Dec 9th 2003, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney

Tamara, my wife, two kids and i are moving to Chatswood in January. We would love to meet up with you and anubody else who lives in Sydney.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Plan a trip somewhere, see one of the many places to see in Ozz. Just try and occupy your mind with something other than England... It's not easy and if you don't have kids, I would imagine it is harder but the flip side is you can head out with ease and not have to get the kids ready, etc...
Old Dec 9th 2003, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

There's plenty of friendly folks on this site to have a natter to if you're feeling down.

Cheer up!!!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 8:28 pm
Carol in Oz

Tamara and Mark

Hi Tamara
Have sent you an email
Carol NSW

Old Dec 9th 2003, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep your chin up Tamara!

Hope you feel more settled soon.

footie chick x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.