Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling the cold - winter coat spotted in Brisbane!

Feeling the cold - winter coat spotted in Brisbane!

Old May 9th 2005, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling the cold - winter coat spotted in Brisbane!

I miss making my clothes toasty on the radiator while I have a shower!
Old May 9th 2005, 4:55 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Un-Co
I miss making my clothes toasty on the radiator while I have a shower!
Sorry to sound a bit smug, but we are getting heated towel rails too Thoses tastics just don't do it for me
Old May 9th 2005, 5:15 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hevs
Roll on the instalation of the central heating in a few weeks time

Is that the end of the wood chopper & piles of firewood out the back??

And no more sitting on the beanbag watching the footy in front of a roaring fire.
Old May 9th 2005, 5:53 am
ABCDiamond

LOL, you see thats another cultural difference. To us poms (sorry to offend anyone who doesn't like that word) heating is something that you turn on and it goes all the way round the house, usually in water filled radiators and is pretty inexpensive to run. However to an Aussie (sorry if that offends anyone else who doesn't like that word either) "heating" is a term used for any source of warmth and usually something that is portable and can be plugged in anywhere. This form of heating (in my house) is far from efficient and expensive to run, therefore is saved for the real winter yet to come

Roll on the instalation of the central heating in a few weeks time
But also don't forget that to many Aussies, the term "Reverse Cycle Air Con" also refers to heating that you turn on and it spreads warm air throughout the house in the winter, and cool air in the summer. Therefore not requiring a seperate heating system.

Cost wise, my two winter bills in Sydney, with it operating all the time were: $318.09 and $339.75.
As a comparison, my Summer bills also with it running all the time were $173.38 and $151.56.

Old May 9th 2005, 6:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
it spreads warm air throughout the house in the winter, and cool air in the summer.
.............and straight out through the ill-fitting doors, and nice louvre windows that don't shut!
Old May 9th 2005, 1:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
.............and straight out through the ill-fitting doors, and nice louvre windows that don't shut!
I thought you wanted more fresh air in your place
Old May 9th 2005, 2:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I thought you wanted more fresh air in your place
I do,and what we have now is lovely - the doors fit, and it gets warm enough inside (so far!). No complaints from here No heating as the air con here (only in the bedroom) isn't the reverse cycle type.
But last winter The Bloke had a reverse cycle air con unit that blew hot air out at the same rate as a hair dryer......straight across the room, and straight out through the windows! I tried to explain why the place wouldn't warm up properly but I don't think he really understood. That place was just grotty, stale air, whether hot or cold. And I'd rather have fresh air, even if its a cold breeze, instead of recycled air bearing the dust from the air con unit!
Old May 9th 2005, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

In brissie my mum has to put a doona on the bed when the days drop down to 30c!

We were there last easter when it was 30c - as soon as I got into the shade I felt cold. Weird - in the UK I would have been roasting!
Old May 10th 2005, 7:01 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Is that the end of the wood chopper & piles of firewood out the back??

And no more sitting on the beanbag watching the footy in front of a roaring fire.
Definately not!! Its the end of being scared to get out of bed in the morning because its so cold in our handiplank bedroom extrodinare

Last edited by hevs; May 10th 2005 at 7:07 am.
Old May 10th 2005, 7:05 am
High in the Dandenongs

But also don't forget that to many Aussies, the term "Reverse Cycle Air Con" also refers to heating that you turn on and it spreads warm air throughout the house in the winter, and cool air in the summer. Therefore not requiring a seperate heating system.

Just to clarify ABC that my post was in response to Mrs DB saying that us poms don't seem to use heating, of any kind when i stated that i don't "have" heating

Does your ducted run on electricity then?? The norm here in Vic seems to be gas and i believe this to be more cost effective When we have our hydronic heating installed it will be on LPG but will still be 20% cheaper to run than gas ducted......

Hevs.x insulating like mad so that all of my heat won't rush out of the walls, floors, windows and ceilings

Last edited by hevs; May 10th 2005 at 7:07 am.
Old May 10th 2005, 7:19 am
ABCDiamond

Just to clarify ABC that my post was in response to Mrs DB saying that us poms don't seem to use heating, of any kind when i stated that i don't "have" heating

Does your ducted run on electricity then?? The norm here in Vic seems to be gas and i believe this to be more cost effective When we have our hydronic heating installed it will be on LPG but will still be 20% cheaper to run than gas ducted......

Hevs.x insulating like mad so that all of my heat won't rush out of the walls, floors, windows and ceilings
We never seem to buy houses that have gas connected, and I always feel that the bottled gas is much more expensive than Electricity, so we don't have gas. Not like in the UK where gas was much cheaper than Electric.

Old May 10th 2005, 7:21 am
High in the Dandenongs

We never seem to buy houses that have gas connected, and I always feel that the bottled gas is much more expensive than Electricity, so we don't have gas. Not like in the UK where gas was much cheaper than Electric.
Good point. But now i have to ask would hydronic heating be cheaper to run on electricity? I don't think it would *sigh* more piggin research. Can anyone help
Old May 10th 2005, 7:26 am
ABCDiamond

Good point. But now i have to ask would hydronic heating be cheaper to run on electricity? I don't think it would *sigh* more piggin research. Can anyone help
It beats me, but I just looked it up and saw:
Hydronic heating coils in the slab are very energy efficient, giving lower running costs and heating bills. Hydronic heating slabs can be powered by a range of energy sources, including solar, groundsource heat pumps, gas furnaces and heat recovery units. Unlike electric coil heating, hydronic heating can be reverse cycled in summer, dumping excess heat into the night sky. http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/yourhom...al/fs34f_5.htm
I'm going to stick with R/C Air Con, i'm too old to learn about new things

Old May 10th 2005, 7:28 am
Badge

so cold in our handiplank bedroom extrodinare
I know what it is I like about your posts ..I love your turn of phrase.. lol

Badge

Old May 10th 2005, 7:35 am
High in the Dandenongs

It beats me, but I just looked it up and saw:

I'm going to stick with R/C Air Con, i'm too old to learn about new things
You old dog

No, not hydronic slab, hydronic heating, rads to you or I!! Thanks anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.