Reload this Page >

Feeling Broken-hearted

Feeling Broken-hearted

Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:33 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feeling Broken-hearted

Originally Posted by Nick11
Well known fact mate...dogs take after their owners!!!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LindyLoo500
Isn't it time people took the view that a dog is for life, not just until you want to bugger off somewhere else, where it might cause a few problems to take your pet?

People should give much more thought about whether to have one in the first place, then there would be much less need for rescue centres, puppy farms would die out, dogs wouldn't be left to fend for themselves when they're booted out and animals would have a happier life.

And come to that, maybe people should give the same degree of thought about whether they should have kids or not. Then the world might be a better place to live in.

LOL! Too true, too true.....

Back to pets, yeah, I'm with you that it is a life commitment, when I got my puppy it was with the view that barring any premature tragedy, I'd have to commit 15-18 years to him, you know, for his whole lifetime. It didn't enter my head that at any time I would ditch him if I wanted to go off somewhere....I can't even comprehend it otherwise I would never have taken him on in the first place.

And not only that, but he is a pure bred, a rare breed down here and I had to go on a 3 year waiting list to get him from a special breeder, so it's not like anything I did concerning him was ever half-hearted or non-committal...That makes everything a bit more complicated for me....I love him to bits and he wasn't easy to come by so he's not easy to ditch either....

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Oct 28th 2009 at 2:57 am.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kporte
This is all very good in theory but if anybody wants a 5 month old Chi that eats it's own shit and nips you with needle like teeth, let me know.
Also, if any other owners have odd socks the dog may have missed, can we get together to make up some matching pairs......

Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kporte
She loves my wifes knickers too. It is only a matter of time before she struts into the lounge with a pair, when we have company.....

too funny.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Having animals certainly does make life harder. I guess most of us will rent at first and one of the reasons that my husband and I may come separately is so that one of us finds a pet friendly home first

yeah, I'm already preparing myself for the fact that my choices of rental accommodation will be limited to "crap" and maybe "crapper" because I have to find a place that will allow my dog to stay. Oh well, part of the sacrifice I guess...
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

KarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant future

My gorgeous boy was a month away from his 10th birthday when he flew to Australia. My husband (much less emotional and much more pragmatic!) asked me to ask our vet's honest opinion on whether or not he could deal with the flight/quarantine etc. He thought (and I promise I didn't bribe him!) that the emotional trauma of separation for Baggy would be worse for him.

Every dog is different and clearly every situation is different but I am so so glad I brought him. He loves the warmth - it helps his older bones and absolutely loves the dog parks! My one is doggy heaven - 20 + dogs playing every night around 5 pm! So many bottoms to sniff . They even have a Christmas Party for dogs! How could I deny Baggy that. He has a new lease of life.

He is now weeks away from being 12 and I don't regret a penny or a second of the effort to bring him.

We see the quarantine staff every day and they are lovely. They do a wonderful job too with "special needs" dogs so there won't be any problem with the medication side of things.

With very best wishes with your move and decisions

Karen
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

We took our old westie back to Uk and back here to Qld.

Im sure you will have no problems even if the dog has got a skin condition! Ring Airpets or one of the other agents that deal with dogs and/or ring quarantine station in Sydney or Perth wherever you are going. To be honest I wouldnt think its a major issue for them and I know that they do give them medicine etc if required. Good luck and bring them my two are happy and Tessa is 13 years old now we been back 2 weeks and they are happy and settled in our rental.

To all those thinking of renting with a dog/dogs get someone you know to do you a reference on them, our good friends in Perth did for us just saying they know us and the dogs etc explaining that the dogs were well behaved etc. We havent had to use it yet but its a very handy thing to have and we havent had a problem getting rented place.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
I had the 2 dogs in uk, 11yr old girl and 7 yr old boy - my sis in law asked for the boy which was a huge weight off my mind, but i had to let my old girl go to sleep, she'd had a stroke and was blind in 1 eye - the vet said (and i know it was) it was kinder to let her go to sleep than put her through the trauma of the flight and quarantine.
It was the worst and hardest part of emigrating.
Due to unforseen circumstances my sis in law couldnt keep my boy and rehomed him with her friend at christmas - hes doing just fine and is spoilt rotten.

I got a lil girlie last sept as i found it so hard not having a dog - shes now a huge beastie and a massive part of our family.
What lovely photos!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:42 am
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
We took our old westie back to Uk and back here to Qld.

Im sure you will have no problems even if the dog has got a skin condition! Ring Airpets or one of the other agents that deal with dogs and/or ring quarantine station in Sydney or Perth wherever you are going. To be honest I wouldnt think its a major issue for them and I know that they do give them medicine etc if required. Good luck and bring them my two are happy and Tessa is 13 years old now we been back 2 weeks and they are happy and settled in our rental.

To all those thinking of renting with a dog/dogs get someone you know to do you a reference on them, our good friends in Perth did for us just saying they know us and the dogs etc explaining that the dogs were well behaved etc. We havent had to use it yet but its a very handy thing to have and we havent had a problem getting rented place.
Renting anything is more difficult with pets, either permanent or holiday. Get over it. The same applies with children, many properties don't want kids. It's just another thing to deal with. Fact is you don't dump either of them, just because life gets a little bit more difficult. It's all quite possible but it takes a bit more effort.

Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

clairey b will become famous soon enoughclairey b will become famous soon enough

I really feel for you and your dilemma. I know how i would feel if we hadn't been able to bring our little dog-life just wouldn't have been right, and the kids would have been completely devasted as they just adore her.

Have you had anymore thoughts or got that 2nd opinion yet?

Wishing you every luck-keep us posted.

Claire xx
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:20 pm
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

To Kath and Graham, my apologies for my earlier post, quoting your post on rentals. On re-reading it, it sounds like I'm having a pop at you! I wasn't. I enclosed it in my post to reinforce my point, agreeing with you, but it doesn't seem to read like that. Sorry

I personally know of 2 "re-homed" dogs. The first one was a poodle / peke cross who was abandoned by Americans in Saudi when they went home. He was rehomed with other Americans, who abandoned him again just a few months later, when they went home. He wasn't even two years old. I have no knowledge of his life prior to Saudi, but suspect it had been littered with these new homes. He was then given his final home with my ex (lucky escape there! ) and me, and we brought him back to UK with us. The total cost was horrendous, the 6 month quaratine brutal, but we didn't "rehome" him for convenience sake. He was my first ever pet. Apart from a budgie that snuffed it when I was little.

The second one I know of is the one my sister now has. She is about 7 years old, a beautiful dog, and has had several homes, all because of "lifestyle changes"; for Gods sake, when will people learn that a pet is part of a "lifestyle" and not just a temporary amusement for the children?

You can never be sure that these so-called "great new homes" will last for very long, however careful you are. After my first dog, I then got another, who had 4 puppies (through my ignorance, and don't ask!) They were adorable bichon / poodle / peke crosses. I kept one, and spent 6 weeks vetting and finding what I believed were suitable homes, with friends or people that had come highly recommended. I had no interest in their financial worth, which was considerable, I just wanted to find them secure homes for life. Guess what? One of these "friends" whom I trusted implicitly at the time, kept the one he had for just a year, until he had a grandchild. The dog disappeared, and he claimed it had been sent to a more suitable life with his friends on a farm in Yorkshire.

I never really believed this
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Sorry haven't been on here in a while

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your input. But am going to have to make the decision to rehome them here in the UK, unfortuantely and I am sure they will have a happy life.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder
Sorry haven't been on here in a while

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your input. But am going to have to make the decision to rehome them here in the UK, unfortuantely and I am sure they will have a happy life.
Good luck mate, I know what you feel.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

My standard poodle was 10 when we moved over to Oz. We thought he was too old to do the journey and so he moved in with my Dad. It was very hard as I left my adult children behind too, and a grandchild.

I am glad for my Dad that he has had company over the 4 years, but the dog remains in really good health and certainly would have managed the journey. If it weren't for the fact my Dad gained a huge amount, I would be kicking myself for not bringing him. What is the problem with the atropy that prevents your dog coming to Oz? It is certainly hotter here, if that is a concern, but vets are equally well trained.

Ultimately you will know in your hearts what is best for the dogs, and I guess that is the best way to decide. If you decide to rehome them make sure that it is someone who is happy to stay in touch and let you know how they are doing and send some piccies etc.

Good luck

Seabird.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by Seabird
My standard poodle was 10 when we moved over to Oz. We thought he was too old to do the journey and so he moved in with my Dad. It was very hard as I left my adult children behind too, and a grandchild.

I am glad for my Dad that he has had company over the 4 years, but the dog remains in really good health and certainly would have managed the journey. If it weren't for the fact my Dad gained a huge amount, I would be kicking myself for not bringing him. What is the problem with the atropy that prevents your dog coming to Oz? It is certainly hotter here, if that is a concern, but vets are equally well trained.

Ultimately you will know in your hearts what is best for the dogs, and I guess that is the best way to decide. If you decide to rehome them make sure that it is someone who is happy to stay in touch and let you know how they are doing and send some piccies etc.

Good luck

Seabird.

Hi Seabird

The VET has said that her Atopy is quite severe, and the heat would just make it 10 times worse, in these last few months she has started to look old, thinning at her back etc. I am being sellfish thinking if I pay out a couple of grand she might not survive long in Australia. On the other hand I have my 5 year old Westie who is full of beans who would be absolutely fine. I know I could split them; but, whilst the eldest has (most probably) good innings still I feel I should keep them together. As someone mentioned in a previous post; dogs are animals not humans and are happy as long as they are treated well, fed and watered. This is all I can hope for........