Reload this Page >

is it feasable in nz

Wikiposts

is it feasable in nz

Old Oct 5th 2003, 6:11 am
Just Joined

foxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default is it feasable in nz

Hi all,first time post for me,going to nz jan 04 to have a good look around and meet some family and friends.
Does any body know if its a feasable option to own a place in nz and the uk and spend 6 months in each without worrying about visas etc,i understand i would not be able to work in nz but would work solid for the 6 months in the uk and class it as semi retirment while in nz,does anybody see any problems or pitfalls with this idea apart from the cost implications.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is it feasable in nz

Originally posted by foxy
Hi all,first time post for me,going to nz jan 04 to have a good look around and meet some family and friends.
Does any body know if its a feasable option to own a place in nz and the uk and spend 6 months in each without worrying about visas etc,i understand i would not be able to work in nz but would work solid for the 6 months in the uk and class it as semi retirment while in nz,does anybody see any problems or pitfalls with this idea apart from the cost implications.

Hi,
I'm no expert on this but what I've picked up from the others on the forum is that you have to validate your holiday visa every 3 months, so you'd have to leave NZ for the weekend then fly back in to your passport stamped.
I'm pretty sure you need a visa for whatever length of time you stay.
I may be wrong and I'm sure someone will read your question soon and put us both straight!!
Seems like a nice life to lead anyway!
Tazzy
Old Oct 5th 2003, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't need to 'validate' a visitors permit every 3 months for 1 thing! British citizens get a 6 month visitor permit on arrival in NZ, which you can extend quite easily to 9 months. The problem that then arises is that you must spend 9 months out of NZ:

How Long Can I Stay In New Zealand?

Visitors to New Zealand may stay a total of nine months in an 18 month period.

If you stay in New Zealand for a total of nine months in the last 18 months, you will be required to remain out of New Zealand for nine months before returning as a visitor.

You may, however, qualify for a further three month extension to your visitor permit after spending the maximum of nine months in New Zealand if:

you have financially supported yourself and you have not been sponsored; or
you have lodged a first-time application for residence that has been accepted for consideration, and a decision is unlikely during the currency of your existing permit; or
you cannot leave New Zealand because of circumstances beyond your control.
If you stay a total of 12 months in the last 24 months, you will be required to remain out of New Zealand for 12 months before you can return as a visitor.

Once you've got PR, you can do what you like, however you will need to spend some time in NZ to ensure you qualify for a further Returning Residents visa once your initial 2yr RRV has expired.

Russ
Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:47 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you need a third host country too...try any of the hotter Med countries or Aus for 3 months at a time?
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:37 am
Just Joined

foxy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info russ,do i take it then i could spend 6 months in nz 6months in uk one yr,then the following year 9 months in uk,3 months in nz and alternate this every other yr.Now im starting to get confused.