Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fears, Worries and Serious Doubts!!!!

Wikiposts

Fears, Worries and Serious Doubts!!!!

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:15 am
Professional Princess

Default Re: Fears, Worries and Serious Doubts!!!!

Originally Posted by Merlot
Been back 10 months in the UK, yes the Brits are almost obsessed with material things and labels, something hubby and I did not see as much in Australia (apart from Sydney).

I miss that relaxed attitude and not having to feel like a poor relation when I go out of an evening in the UK.

M
Do you think you will ever go back Merlot?

Sometimes I think you need to live in a couple of places to find out which one is best.

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

There's maybe another point. Many, many people that have had to go through the long anguish of the skilled independent visa process go though endless highs, lows, doubts and crises of confidence. It seems as though one cannot remember why one applied in the first place. Certainly, that happened to us. Having been awarded the visa it looks trivial with hindsight, but while going through it that is no help. It took us another to trip to Austrialia to refresh and refocus. When we went back a second time, it was less a case of the grass being greener on the other side, than looking at it as a package with good and bad points and comparing to the uK with its own inherent good and points. From where we view it, Australia has the better package....on balance.

Neil
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Fears, Worries and Serious Doubts!!!!

Education-wise, I'm a teacher (and ex-Head) here in the UK and am moving in 6 weeks to Aus (just thought I'd mention it!).
When we went out on for a visit 18 months ago, I wangled an invitation to look around a public school. This was in an average area of NSW. My nephews both attend primary school there. One of them has Aspergers Syndrome. I know that in the UK we would have been unable to give him 1:1 support for at least two years. We would have had to use those two years to set targets, try to meet them in the classroom, prove that they couldn't be met etc etc. In Aus he received some 1:1 support during his first year in school, which helped him settle, make friends and give him some extra reading practice. Each state has its own curriculum, rather than a national curriculum as in the UK. However in my opinion, in the UK we are very hung up on results (we test our children at age 7!) especially for literacy and numeracy. Therefore our standards in these tested subjects will be higher as everyone increases teaching time to these areas at the expense of the other subjects. In Aus there are national (or poss. state) tests, but later in the primary school. Their range of subjects seems to be more, especially in the range of physical activity.
In my opinion school should be about creating children who want to learn and enter secondary school enthusiastic about learning - not just who are able to score highly on tests. For me, the Aussie system seems to have kept the fun in learning.

Obviously at the moment I work in the UK. It will be interesting to see if my views change after 6 months in Aus! I also think that the panics are natural, as my husband has just got them!

Rachel.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Fears, Worries and Serious Doubts!!!!

Originally Posted by NAC
Well, don't know if this is pre-visa nerves hitting in or what but we are having some worries and doubts that I hope some of you can help with! Our main concerns are:
1. We are coming out on a skilled independent visa and hoping to settle around the North Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area. My husband will have a starting salary of around $44,000 which is less than he is earning in the UK. From what I have read the cost of living is not greatly less and we are concerned about what our quality of life will be. Is this salary enough to keep a family of 4? I am a nurse and will work part-time but don't want to be pushed into it because of finances. In the UK we live basically on my husband's salary and me working part-time helps pay for extras and treats etc. Would this be comparable to Australia?
2. Our 2nd concern is education. I had been very much under the impression that Australian education was of an equal if not higher standard to the UK. (Based on recent statistics and a friend who has spent a year working in Oz). However, I have recently heard from someone who felt it was appalling and literacy rates are infact very poor. We would very much appreciate any input from parents who have experienced both UK and Oz education. Are most schools of a similar standard or is there a vast difference? Is it worth paying for private education?

I think the hardest part is the unknown. If we stay here we roughly know what our future would be like in terms of housing, schools, holidays etc. Although the outdoor life with a good climate appeals is it really worth giving up what we have here if we cannot have the same or more in Australia? We are not a materialistic family in the slightest but it would not be worth the move if, for example, I had to work full-time to give us enough money for a family holiday.

I look forward to hearing all your experiences (good and bad) and hope that it will help us decide where our future lies

Carolyn
NAC - I think that the concerns that you listed may be you grasping at straws looking for reasons not to make the big move. Isn't there some sales theory which goes along the lines "a buyer will look for all the reasons not to buy something until they have bought it. Then they look for all the reasons that it was a fantastic purchase".... something like that anyway

I think that you'll find that you will enjoy a comparable lifestyle with your hubby as a copper and if you work Part-time (agency work pays well). Overseas holidays will be somewhat more expensive though.

May I ask why you are moving over?

If you focus on the all the reasons (real or imagined) not to come you won't be keen to come on over. Stay positive
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:34 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NAC
Hi Dicko, and thanks for your reply. I think you make a good point in that I find entertaining children in the UK very expensive. If the weather is fine it's ok, you can go for walks or to the park but often it's wet and miserable!! It's then that it gets expensive with going swimming, soft play areas etc etc.
Glad we've had some positive replys - giving us some hope
Hi,

Based on my experience in Victoria, the public provision for children (and adults) is much better here than in the UK. The playgrounds are excellent, interesting for the kids and have low or no vandalism. Walking tracks are numerous and often have boardwalks and look-out towers. Nearly all parks have free public BBQs and toilets that are open. The public toilets are generally (with few exceptions) clean and well maintained. There are loads of cycling tracks and you are allowed to cycle on footpaths if you are accompanying a child. Note that some of the walking and cycling tracks can be a little long for smaller children.

Hopefully you will get the same in QLD.

Regards
Alistair
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

muzza is on a distinguished road

Doing pretty much anything is cheaper in Oz; I mean, petrol is half the price for a start! There is a huge amount of things to do outside that you just don't get the chance to do in the UK and the country is geared towards these. There's a tremendous provision for sports in schools and even entertaining in your own home is better because you can enjoy the garden outside. I suppose all of this outdoor activity is why the Aussies are even more obsessed with the weather forecast than us Brits!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by muzza
I suppose all of this outdoor activity is why the Aussies are even more obsessed with the weather forecast than us Brits!!!
I can give you a weather forcast for the UK

Tommorow it will be cold and rainy with a chance for snow and hail. We are hoping for some sunshine.

During winter I could understand but everyday
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:07 am
Sharon

sharon ann is on a distinguished road

Hi Carolyn
Like you we are heading for Brisbane in April/May and like you we have concerns. My husbands job as a bricklayer/builder/plasterer ( really anything his present job as structural repairer requires) is not a fantastically well paid - about £27,000 BUT it is quite a secure job.

I am a teacher (and did supply untill July 04) but found the cost of 2 children in childcare meant working 2-3 days a week wasn't really financially beneficial.

We are having exactly the same worries about finances but by selling our house we will be able to pay all of our debts and have a fresh start.

And finally as my hubby says even if life is shite in Aus (for us) we'll still be waking up to sunshine (well most of the time). So were gonna give it our best shot and remember why we applied in the beginning!!
Sharon
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:19 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Do you think you will ever go back Merlot?

Sometimes I think you need to live in a couple of places to find out which one is best.
After today in the UK, yes!! I really find the majority of English around me such a pack of moaners (in the work place and customer service) and I never thought I would ever say that.

I used to get a bit pee'd off with the Austrlian's oh so shiny smiley attitude but they are like a breathe of fresh air, and yes I think their lifestyle and enviroment helps.

No seriously, you are right you have to see both sides of the coin. I knew I had to come back to the UK for a while, I missed my family so much and there is a lot for me to do here with them here BUT yes will be going back for sure . . if we can save up enough for the trip, so looks like 2006/07.

I have a tabby cat (called Merlot) that we brought back from Oz so will take her back. The costs of that seem sky high as it cost £1k to bring her back to the UK, looks like £3k to send her over then 1 month in cattie boot camp!

Life was cheaper over in Australia, the dollar seemed to stretch further somehow.

Good luck with your trip.

M

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:44 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussiesoon
K. However in my opinion, in the UK we are very hung up on results (we test our children at age 7!) especially for literacy and numeracy. Therefore our standards in these tested subjects will be higher as everyone increases teaching time to these areas at the expense of the other subjects. In Aus there are national (or poss. state) tests, but later in the primary school. Their range of subjects seems to be more, especially in the range of physical activity.
In my opinion school should be about creating children who want to learn and enter secondary school enthusiastic about learning - not just who are able to score highly on tests. For me, the Aussie system seems to have kept the fun in learning.
I couldn't agree more! My daughter who is now 10 and considered "higher than average" in both countries was in tears the week before her sats in the UK. It took me a while to find out the problem and when i did i was appaled. The teachers had been putting heaps of pressure and giving her extra work so that she could "do the very best she could" obviously for their own ends. I was livid

My son, who has dyspraxia, dyslexia and mild ADD was crying every day and hoping to make himself ill so he didn't have to go to school! They made him stay in at break to finish his work, he HATED school.

Overhere theres far less stress at this age for written results. I was worried for my daughter, but she has fouind the time to shine at other things that she would never have had the confidence to try at her old school. My son is happy to go to school and again i was worried that they seemed a bit casual with their approach with him, again we have been suprised with his results. Whilst he is not reading or writting fluently yet, his determination and confidence have increased 100% and will at least try to write and draw (unless he's tired, then we've got no chance!)

This of course may not be the case for everyone, but we are more than happy with the two well rounded kids we have that attend a normal Aussie school.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wongstonn
When we went back a second time, it was less a case of the grass being greener on the other side, than looking at it as a package with good and bad points and comparing to the UK with its own inherent good and points.
Well expressed. The choice is a complex one, especially for those with children. I would be happier, for various reasons, for my kids to go to school in Oz. What I worry about is their prospects there; unlike me they won't be able to swan in with money earned elsewhere and buy a house cash.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Well expressed. The choice is a complex one, especially for those with children. I would be happier, for various reasons, for my kids to go to school in Oz. What I worry about is their prospects there; unlike me they won't be able to swan in with money earned elsewhere and buy a house cash.
But they can move back to the UK when they leave school to do so.... if that is what they want.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GCS15
But they can move back to the UK when they leave school to do so.... if that is what they want.
My concern is that when they grow up they feel they have to leave the country to progress their careers.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
My concern is that when they grow up they feel they have to leave the country to progress their careers.
They may have to. Depends on what they want. My missus is a Kiwi with English passport. We live in Brisbane whilst I get qualified as a Paramedic (busy busy me). We can choose to live in Australia, New Zealand or the UK with relative ease. The US may be an option. When we have kids we will ensure that they have the choice when they get older to choose where to live as well. So many people on this forum are jumping through plenty of hoops to get to oz and plenty of aussies jump through hoops to get to the UK. Your kids won't have to. IMO you don't have to try and guess what your kids will do in 20 years time. If they want to pursue their career in the UK let them. Then again they may be just as happy here in oz doing oz things. Then again what would I know as I am 30 and don't know where to live?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GCS15
I ... don't know where to live
That makes 2 of us

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.