Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fear of flying any ideas?

Fear of flying any ideas?

Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice
Default Fear of flying any ideas?

Ok I fly to Oz on 24th of Sept alone, my partner is trapped at work here until November. Due to housing situations etc it just makes more sense for me to go out & find work in Australia.

Here's the thing, I suffered from CFS for 17 years & have been left with panic attacks. This morning I got to thinking that it is really not that long until I go & promptly spent an hour in the toilet talking to god on the porcelain telephone! I don't want to make a big deal of this but am not sure whether I should tell the folk at check in that this could be a problem for me or whether just to wing it on a hope & a prayer that no one would see me if I did panic. I have meds from the doctors & have 55mins in Singapore to catch my next flight (please do not mention the fact that this seems to be a short stopover cos there will be no delays!!) I also have rescue remedy, hypnosis tapes and pretty much anything I can lay my hands on right down to pieces of crystal.

So the $64000 question is do I tell Singapore Airlines or not? Any help gratefully recieved
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice
Default Re: Fear of flying any ideas?

Oh & if anyone needs a hand on a yacht cruise ship or even a raft leaving for Australia the same sort of time please do let me know
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:56 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I know the feeling well I hate it I cant think of anything worse

I think it would be a good idea to speak to the attendant and ask if it would be ok if they kept an eye on you every now and again and explain you are a nervous flyer.

they will come accross this everyday in their job I dont think you will be an exception.

Good luck and try and have a good flight.

Kaye
Old Sep 11th 2008, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Kaye, I know there are probably hundreds of people a day who fly & don't enjoy it, just didn't want the plane thinking the wierdo at the back of the plane in tears (due to leaving partner not because of fear ) but agree it would make more sense to tell them in case something did happen.

My philosophy on flight which may help you is sit at the back, you never hear of planes backing into mountains do you?

Best of luck with your trip x
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

I am absolutely s... scared of flying and told the air stewardess about it, basically she laughed at me:curse: and said to stop worrying, even though I spent nearly 7 hours saying hello to the loo at the back of the aircraft.....

Its the turbulence issue in my case, being my Dad used to an Aircraft Engineer I know all the errors that can/do happen which makes it a hell of a lot worse,.....dont get me started on the actual thingie on air turbulance...mmmm and no its not like bumps in the road

Tried Rescue Remedy when we went to Majorca earlier this year, just gave me the s... there!!!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

landa is on a distinguished road

I too have a fear of flying....i drive my hubby mad as he loves it. The only thing that keeps me going is thinking that there are thousands of planes in the sky every moment of every day and that pilots and the crews fly for a living and some for the hell of it! This time last week I was on my way back from Singapore after a short trip to get our visa's validated. I was a stress ball too, I dont think there is anything that anyone can say will ease what you feel you just have to keep thinking how many planes fly a day, it is the safest form of transport, Singapore Airlines is a very good airline and there is someone else on that plane that feels the same way you do so you're not alone. I would tell them at check in that you are nervous, I always ask to sit as far forward as pos' as the turbulence doesnt seem that bad towards the middle. Tell a member of the crew too and dont clock watch as you will go mad. Good luck....
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the input, turbulance isn't a problem for me which I find the strangest thing as it seems to be the thing that most people have the fear with, go figure. I'm a bit OCD about planes I have to sit in the very back aisle seat left hand side (which never goes back as you're against the wall) in fact when I went out with my Dad a few years back I sat at the back while he sat in the front.

Thanks to Kath & Graham for putting the beautiful mental picture of vomiting for 7 hours looking forward to that & I shall be chosing my flight attendant very carefully, that's a disgrace I agree with Kaye that they really should have a better understanding given the work that they do.

It's a true saying a problem shared is a problem halved it's good to know that others experience similar symptoms and thanks to landa for pointing out that chances are I won't be the only one suffering on my flight. They really should have an airline where they knock you out, stack you in hold & bring you out when you get to your destination (copyright stepbeanie 2008 so don't get any ideas ) Best of luck with all your plans
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

I'm scared of flying and agree that sitting near the front is easier for the bumps.

I find that when I am sitting on my own I tend to be braver, where as when my husband is with me I'm gripping on for dear life.

Good luck.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

stevo96 has a spectacular aura aboutstevo96 has a spectacular aura aboutstevo96 has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Fear of flying any ideas?

3 triazapan and 2 pints seem to do the trick for me - that's what ill be having when we fly Singapore in Nov. As the great Mr T used to say "I aint going on no plane"! Ask your Doc. I had the above pills 2 yrs ago when flying to Mexico - when i came round i said to the future father in law "have we taken off yet" - we were 2 hrs from landing!! At which point i had another 2...... It's the future.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:21 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevo96
3 triazapan and 2 pints seem to do the trick for me - that's what ill be having when we fly Singapore in Nov. As the great Mr T used to say "I aint going on no plane"! Ask your Doc. I had the above pills 2 yrs ago when flying to Mexico - when i came round i said to the future father in law "have we taken off yet" - we were 2 hrs from landing!! At which point i had another 2...... It's the future.
Only 2 pints !!!!!!!,you weakling
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stevo96
pmsl I have diazepam but tri means three so definitely going to try to get those ones Have visions of Nim's Island when Jodie Foster does it & they wake her up and she has to run like a maniac to get her connection. Maybe try the paddington bear trick & just pin my tickets to me & ask them to bundle me onto the connection.

Tell you one thing P&O will get all my business when I get to Australia, I would even go so far as to say I would travel by bus from Sydney to Perth again next to the biker who insisted on using me as a pillow while I sat bolt upright trying to gently rock him the other way
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Being a sufferer of panic attacks know how you feel and also the claustrophobia of the plane.

After suffering for more years than I can remember I am fine now and can handle it all thanks to Heart Math.

A psychologist I saw last year had the programme and I learned to breathe properly and its the heart that controls the head so if you can use the deep breathing and get the pattern right you calm down.

I have the programme on my computer at home and use it to make sure I breathe properly as it shows how your anxiety goes up and down and once you learn to breathe properly it stops.

I also carry xanax as find that the best calmer for quick relief if things get out of hand.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stepbeanie
Ok I fly to Oz on 24th of Sept alone, my partner is trapped at work here until November. Due to housing situations etc it just makes more sense for me to go out & find work in Australia.

Here's the thing, I suffered from CFS for 17 years & have been left with panic attacks. This morning I got to thinking that it is really not that long until I go & promptly spent an hour in the toilet talking to god on the porcelain telephone! I don't want to make a big deal of this but am not sure whether I should tell the folk at check in that this could be a problem for me or whether just to wing it on a hope & a prayer that no one would see me if I did panic. I have meds from the doctors & have 55mins in Singapore to catch my next flight (please do not mention the fact that this seems to be a short stopover cos there will be no delays!!) I also have rescue remedy, hypnosis tapes and pretty much anything I can lay my hands on right down to pieces of crystal.

So the $64000 question is do I tell Singapore Airlines or not? Any help gratefully recieved
I'm not scared of flying, its the crashing i'm scared of!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:59 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bu1lder
I'm not scared of flying, its the crashing i'm scared of!
I'd be more scared of Skeggy
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Being a sufferer of panic attacks know how you feel and also the claustrophobia of the plane.

After suffering for more years than I can remember I am fine now and can handle it all thanks to Heart Math.

I also carry xanax as find that the best calmer for quick relief if things get out of hand.
Thanks for that Margaret don't think I'd be able to do it before I left but will definitely follow that up in Oz, I know I don't breathe properly when panic sets in & I do try to stop it generally by holding my breath! (Doesn't work don't try it)

Xanax is actually in a video I have by a pilot who believes that if you know everything about noises & bumps etc you will fly with less stress (clearly he's deluded.) Can just see my Doc now so can I have triazepam, xanax and anything else that will get me to the other side of the world?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.