fear of crime

Old Jun 15th 2005, 7:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default fear of crime

Where I live in the Uk there is very little crime. In fact if a garden gnome is stolen or a car gets scratched it makes the local newspapers.

Now, as we are planning to go to Australia I keep reading about problems with gangs of youths who often use guns.

I see stories about 'out of control' youths marauding the neighbourhoods in huge cars causng lots of damage.

There are constant reports of 'drug busts', gang rapes, robberies etc.

What sort of country am I going to :scared:

Is it all true or is it just stirred up by the Australian newspapers to sell copies

G :scared:
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:01 am
julie

jul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: fear of crime

Originally Posted by Grayling
Where I live in the Uk there is very little crime. In fact if a garden gnome is stolen or a car gets scratched it makes the local newspapers.

Now, as we are planning to go to Australia I keep reading about problems with gangs of youths who often use guns.

I see stories about 'out of control' youths marauding the neighbourhoods in huge cars causng lots of damage.

Is it all true or is it just stirred up by the Australian newspapers to sell copies

We have been in Australia for 8 weeks now and have never seen or been involved in any violence what so ever.
I think it depends which area you plan to live in.

Julie.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jul44
We have been in Australia for 8 weeks now and have never seen or been involved in any violence what so ever.
I think it depends which area you plan to live in.

Julie.
You mean it isn't EVERYWHERE

G
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:05 am
julie

jul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the rough

You mean it isn't EVERYWHERE

G
You sound disappointed!
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

It's all true, well mostly - that which is reported. If you want the full list check the court reports.
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I know where you are coming from but you read of the same things hapening over here.
I don't see any of this kind of thing going on where I live but I live in a nice part of the area. Just 2 miles or so down the road is some not so nice areas which frequently have drug busts etc. but I don't see any of it.

I'm sure it will be the same in Australia. You will just need to check out the different areas before you settle. I also worry about crime, here as well as Oz. The worrying thing is I know what areas to avoid here but not there . It's all just part of the experience though. We will figure it all out as we go along

Tracey
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:09 am
Bitter and twisted

I've also heard that there are immigrants everywhere

and that some areas have become immigrant 'ghettos' where they have virtually taken over :scared:

What sort of country is it :scared:

G
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

and that some areas have become immigrant 'ghettos' where they have virtually taken over :scared:

G
I knew you were taking the p*** but I still felt the need to answer just in case I was wrong!!!

Tracey
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:12 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

G
It is a surprise isnt it.
I would say carpe diem , live for the moment G. If you want it bad enough it WILL work out. Just think of all the lovely lovely beaches and great lifestyle.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:13 am
Bitter and twisted

I wouldn't want to worry anyone but have a look at this site:

http://www.news.com.au/

I read it regularly and it terrifying :scared:

G
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I knew you were taking the p*** but I still felt the need to answer just in case I was wrong!!!

Tracey
Karma for your reply

G
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:17 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Crime pays...

Try it.

Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:22 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry G, the house next door is up for sale, you can come & live next door to us. Our biggest crime last quarter was the stealing of a letterbox pole (but not the letterbox itself ). Sounds like you'll fit right in .

(btw, how far does that tongue of yours reach? )
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:35 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

No crime here at all

But then I never go further than the Local Shop to look at the pretty things

Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:47 am
aussie73

Those crimes happen in just about every country in the world, crime is no worse in OZ then the UK probably less because of a smaller population. Theres bad suburbs in OZ just like there are in the UK, don't live in them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.