Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Favourite Melbourne Places

Favourite Melbourne Places

Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Favourite Melbourne Places

Thought it might be worthwhile having a thread on some great places you have discovered in Melbourne - can be anything really from shops, restaurants, markets or things to do.

Here are some of mine :

Prahran Market
- smaller than some other markets in Melbourne but has some of the best quality meat. Also next door to the market is a cookware shop called 'Essential' which also has to be one of the best of it's kind in Melbourne.

Brunetti - This is in Carlton (so Italian based) and I was taken here the other night and was very impressed, great coffee and a huge selection of cakes - never seen a shop like this outside of Europe really - I will be a regular here for sure.

http://www.brunetti.com.au/Default.aspx

The Cottage
Not in Melbourne, but Geelong. it's a cafe set in an old house with Little Golden books as menus. We often drive down at the weekend, the breakfasts are really good.

Thy Thy
Great Vietnamese restaurant upstairs in Victoria St, Richmond. Cheap, quick and usually a good atmosphere as you share tables.

Barcelona Great Spanish place in Fitzroy St, St Kilda, with Spanish beers and great Tapas - service can be a bit Spanish though

Rococo Another St Kilda restaurant, but down in Acland St, perfect for pizza and Mediterranean style food on a Sunday afternoon.

Babble Bar & Cafe Cafe in Prahran, great place to have breakfast before shopping at Prahran market, delicious breakfasts but it can be a bit pretentious at times.

The Espy Pub in St Kilda, a Melbourne institution and it has some fantastic bands playing - also great on an afternoon watching the sunset over the bay with a few beers.

We have a 4 year old and all the above places (except The Espy) are no problem at all with kids.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice
Default Re: Favourite Melbourne Places

The State Library on Swanston is ace,
Have a quiet read of Private Eye then go check out Ned Kelly's Armour.
The Latrobe Reading room looks like something out of Harry Potter.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 6:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71

Thy Thy
Great Vietnamese restaurant upstairs in Victoria St, Richmond. Cheap, quick and usually a good atmosphere as you share tables.
YES! This place is fantastic......would be very easy to get put off by the dingy staircase though. It's hard to find as well if you've never been before.

Other places I like are:

The Galleon - cafe on Carlisle St, St Kilda just off Acland Street.

Yellow Bird - another cafe at the Windsor End of Chapel St.

Both great for brunches.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 6:44 am
East Mids to Vic

Laura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really nice

could you tell me where abouts in Geelong the cottage is? We are staying here at the mo!

Thanks
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laura and Tom
could you tell me where abouts in Geelong the cottage is? We are staying here at the mo!
It's at 359 Pakington Street, Newtown, Geelong, VIC 3220
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thought it might be worthwhile having a thread on some great places you have discovered in Melbourne - can be anything really from shops, restaurants, markets or things to do.

Here are some of mine :

Prahran Market
- smaller than some other markets in Melbourne but has some of the best quality meat. Also next door to the market is a cookware shop called 'Essential' which also has to be one of the best of it's kind in Melbourne.

Brunetti - This is in Carlton (so Italian based) and I was taken here the other night and was very impressed, great coffee and a huge selection of cakes - never seen a shop like this outside of Europe really - I will be a regular here for sure.

http://www.brunetti.com.au/Default.aspx

The Cottage
Not in Melbourne, but Geelong. it's a cafe set in an old house with Little Golden books as menus. We often drive down at the weekend, the breakfasts are really good.

Thy Thy

Barcelona Great Spanish place in Fitzroy St, St Kilda, with Spanish beers and great Tapas - service can be a bit Spanish though

Rococo Another St Kilda restaurant, but down in Acland St, perfect for pizza and Mediterranean style food on a Sunday afternoon.

Babble Bar & Cafe Cafe in Prahran, great place to have breakfast before shopping at Prahran market, delicious breakfasts but it can be a bit pretentious at times.

The Espy Pub in St Kilda, a Melbourne institution and it has some fantastic bands playing - also great on an afternoon watching the sunset over the bay with a few beers.

We have a 4 year old and all the above places (except The Espy) are no problem at all with kids.
Yehp you've got two of mine on there. Thy Thy and the Espy. I love La porchetta the original place in Rathdown St, Carlton. Brunswick Green, on Sydney rd Brunswick... thats a fantastic bar, with little nooks and crannies everywhere. Plus a stroll and a nip in any of the Bars down Brunswick St Fitzroy, always cheers me up.

Must give that Brunettis a go some time.

Another great place for continental Shopping, is Meditteranean Wholesalers in Sydney rd Brunswick, it really is like being in Europe, very large place as well.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/epicur...329411991.html
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

It's at 359 Pakington Street, Newtown, Geelong, VIC 3220
Crust pizza - at long last, after years of trying, the true Italian style pizza arrives in Melbourne where you know if you order a good old cheese and tomato, it will be bloody delicious, rather than the normal 'load em up with loads of toppings to disguise the fact the sauce is pants and the base cardboard' type that used to always be here.

Anyone not sure about it - look up Crust. Loads seem to be opening and they appear to have got a great market. Well worth trying and the only ones any good.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Any of the little cafe's and restaurants in the laneways near the CBD. We can never remember exactly what one we went into last so we keep finding new ones
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
YES! This place is fantastic......would be very easy to get put off by the dingy staircase though. It's hard to find as well if you've never been before.

Other places I like are:

The Galleon - cafe on Carlisle St, St Kilda just off Acland Street.

Yellow Bird - another cafe at the Windsor End of Chapel St.

Both great for brunches.

Blimey you found Thy Thy quick !!!

I'm impressed took me years.

I dont get out over that side very much, only two places I can recommend are the Belgian Beer Cafe, in the week, when its not crowded, and the Botanical.

Have you ventured to Brunswick or Lygon st, over this side of town yet, if you have then Give High St Northcote or Sydney Rd Brunswick a go, they are both developing into the same kind of thing.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Blimey you found Thy Thy quick !!!

I'm impressed took me years.

I dont get out over that side very much, only two places I can recommend are the Belgian Beer Cafe, in the week, when its not crowded, and the Botanical.

Have you ventured to Brunswick or Lygon st, over this side of town yet, if you have then Give High St Northcote or Sydney Rd Brunswick a go, they are both developing into the same kind of thing.
Nah I didn't find it......I got taken there by a native.......like I said, when I saw the front door I thought WTF! They have some dish which is basically just roast chicken, no idea what they do to it but it's so delicious!

I've been to the Belgian Beer Cafe once....but it was a sunny Sunday and insanely busy - great atmosphere though.

On Brunswick St I've been to Red Tongue a few times which has always been good. Not seen much of Lygon Street but had some great food at Tiamo....and also a Thai place on Lygon St, North Carlton...up past the cemetery...no idea what it was called though?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
And apparently areas of Collingwood now are fast becoming like Brunswick St.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bcworld
also a Thai place on Lygon St, North Carlton...up past the cemetery...no idea what it was called though?
That will be Thalia Thai or Thai Nee?

If you are up that way again check out GeloBar - the original Brunetti's! Great cakes and gelato - queues are not uncommon on a nice evening.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Casa Iberica, 25 Johnston St, Fitzroy - (03) 9419 4420 - Fabulous place for all things Spanish and half the price of most delis and supermarkets.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

'Pie in the Sky' in Olinda in the Dandenong ranges. Great pies.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RCoight
'Pie in the Sky' in Olinda in the Dandenong ranges. Great pies.

Must be 15 years since I've been to the Dandenongs, must be due another visit, I reckon. Has it changed at all

Last time I was on the Mornington Peninsular, was when my 2nd oldest daughter, now residing in London spent a week at a Lord Somers School camp near Hastings and we went to meet her for a Sunday picnic.

I reckon I could get to Torquay quicker than Hastings from Central Melbourne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.