Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Favourite/Best city in OZ poll!!!

View Poll Results: Favourite/Best city in Australia?
Sydney
15.63%
Melbourne
22.92%
Adelaide
8.33%
Brisbane
12.50%
Perth
26.04%
Cairns
3.13%
Gold Coast
3.13%
Darwin
0%
Hobart
1.04%
Newcastle
0%
Canberra
0%
Wollongong
0%
Sunshine Coast
4.17%
Any other-Please state:
3.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Favourite/Best city in OZ poll!!!

Old Jun 10th 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough
Default Favourite/Best city in OZ poll!!!

Hi
After looking at the "can't decide where to live" thread , I decided to make a poll of your favourite/best city in Australia.
Please add why you think it is and maybe which neighbourhood is the best in your chosen city and why? Has it got more facilities than another area, better bars/nightlife, better schools etc....
Or why you WOULD live there if you don't already.
It would be a great thread to all of us moving to Oz but not sure where to live.
Maybe one for a "sticky" too but we will see.
Here goes..............................

Apologises if it was done before. (I'm sure it was)

Last edited by soulrebel; Jun 10th 2007 at 3:32 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Favourite/Best city in OZ poll!!!

Will be watching this one with interest. We think we are going to Sydney, but are a bit undecided

Last edited by Poppy-21; Jun 10th 2007 at 6:21 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Perhaps should be in the main Australia forum rather than the barbie sub-forum???
Maybe a mod can move it?
Thanks
Old Jun 10th 2007, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Hi
After looking at the "can't decide where to live" thread , I decided to make a poll of your favourite/best city in Australia.
Please add why you think it is and maybe which neighbourhood is the best in your chosen city and why? Has it got more facilities than another area, better bars/nightlife, better schools etc....
It would be a great thread to all of us moving to Oz but not sure where to live.

This is obviously tongue-in-cheek isn't it? surely you won't be basing your decisions where to live by a poll?
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:30 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by curly
This is obviously tongue-in-cheek isn't it? surely you won't be basing your decisions where to live by a poll?
Why not. There are certainly stranger ways to pick somewhere to live. As you know lots of people on this site had/have never been to Australia before emigrating and usually chose based on what they have heard about a place as opposed to actually knowing it.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Although I dont live in Melbounre, did for a while. Lived in Sydney too.
Melbourne hands down for me.
Its has alot more culture, theres a real influence from all the European migrants from years ago I love it, its more vibrant, relaxed, more down to earth, more interesting, has in my opinion more to do (apart from beach). Yes its colder in winter, doesnt have the beaches. Also, in terms of access to places outside the city - theres the great ocean rd, hills inland and mornington peninsula.
It seem to have a bit more of a vibe about it than Sydeny - Sydneys kind of flashier and I found Melburnians to be more friendlier and more informed.
Its more of a cosmoplitan city and has bags more style that Sydney.
My opinion only
Good luck
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by curly
Why not??
Although my final decision won't be decided by the poll, it will give me some advice and info about which area is popular.
It will also be interesting to see which city people here on expats regard as the best.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Why not??
Although my final decision won't be decided by the poll, it will give me some advice and info about which area is popular.
It will also be interesting to see which city people here on expats regard as the best.
friends of mine picked Melbourne from a lonely planet guide back in 99.
Nearly went 4 Perth but decided Melbourne sounded more with it.
They've been there ever since and with the odd bout of pining for home love it and have settled really well. So maybe going on a poll as part of your research isnt that bad an idea really. May be for you, may not. Two chances as they say
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:37 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I think your idea is a very good one

However I don't think a Poll can give you the guidance you are looking for.

Unfortunately the majority of people who vote won't have actually experienced many of these places so the results will be distorted greatly based on what they have seen and hence not as a true comparison of the many places listed.

For example in my case I've only seen three of them so voting for one is not actually going to give you a fair reflection on the rest.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:40 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Unfortunately the majority of people who vote won't have actually experienced many of these places so the results will be distorted greatly based on what they have seen and hence not as a true comparison of the many places listed.
Absolutely, old chum.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I think your idea is a very good one

However I don't think a Poll can give you the guidance you are looking for.

For example in my case I've only seen three of them so voting for one is not actually going to give you a fair reflection on the rest.
So many choices . I voted for Melbourne, its my favourite city in Oz. I met my wife there. And its beautiful, lovely parks, bike rides, great restaurants overlooking the sea, gazing lovingly into each others eyes, ahh I remember it well.

Of course we chose to live in Brisbane, but then your question should have asked 'where would you want to live'.

Melbournes way too bloody expensive to live, and the weather is crap half the year.

JTL
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps should be in the main Australia forum rather than the barbie sub-forum???
Maybe a mod can move it?
Thanks
Don't just assume that a Mod will see a post like this! We all have full time jobs and don't have time to read every thread. If you had pm'd one of us we would've moved it for you instead of you starting another one
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:33 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
So many choices . I voted for Melbourne, its my favourite city in Oz. I met my wife there. And its beautiful, lovely parks, bike rides, great restaurants overlooking the sea, gazing lovingly into each others eyes, ahh I remember it well.

Of course we chose to live in Brisbane, but then your question should have asked 'where would you want to live'.

Melbournes way too bloody expensive to live, and the weather is crap half the year.

JTL
Unlike Brisbane where its cr*p three quarters of the year
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

JTL
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Unlike Brisbane where its cr*p three quarters of the year
Whereas Melbourne weather is not really crap for any time of the year.

Three coldish months of the year - skiing just a short drive away. Spring - which is like a typical UK summer. Autumn - which is like a good UK summer. And Summer - like the best UK Summer you ever experienced with a few trips to the South of France, the Greek Islands and Spain thrown in; all without moving an inch.

Love it
Old Jun 14th 2007, 2:08 am
Home and Happy

OK, after much deliberation between myself and the OP we have decided to move this one into the Aus main forum, and delete the other poll.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.