Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Faulty Washing Machine Q

Faulty Washing Machine Q

Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Question Faulty Washing Machine Q

We had to buy a new frontloader last month as our machine that we brought over from the UK finally had enough.

Yesterday I put a load of DD's clothes in the wash - I always do them on a 30 minute quick wash. Forgot all about it until about an hour later when I heard the machine and thought "that should be finished by now". When I went to look it said over an hour to go on the digital timer and the door was red hot - somehow it was on a 95 degree wash. Turned it off and reset it and it carried on with the quick wash saying 28 minutes remaining...

Unfortunately among DD's stuff was a pair of jeans which being so hot the dye has run and ruined a load of vests and (more improtantly) one of her lovely sleeping bags.

Been wondering if I accidentally set it to 95 (as it's the next setting on the dial) so this morning I've put a load of my stuff in on the 30 minute wash and watched it - when it clicked to 27 minutes the dial went all strange and somehow it's set itself to a 95 degree wash.

Since we only took delivery of the machine a month ago am I within my rights to ask for a replacement rather than a repair? (I worry if it's faulty now what will it be like in six or 12 months?)

Also, where do I stand re the ruined clothes? Can I ask for some sort of compensation as they have gone a really odd shade of purple?

Thanks
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:26 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faulty Washing Machine Q

Originally Posted by bridie
We had to buy a new frontloader last month as our machine that we brought over from the UK finally had enough.

Yesterday I put a load of DD's clothes in the wash - I always do them on a 30 minute quick wash. Forgot all about it until about an hour later when I heard the machine and thought "that should be finished by now". When I went to look it said over an hour to go on the digital timer and the door was red hot - somehow it was on a 95 degree wash. Turned it off and reset it and it carried on with the quick wash saying 28 minutes remaining...

Unfortunately among DD's stuff was a pair of jeans which being so hot the dye has run and ruined a load of vests and (more improtantly) one of her lovely sleeping bags.

Been wondering if I accidentally set it to 95 (as it's the next setting on the dial) so this morning I've put a load of my stuff in on the 30 minute wash and watched it - when it clicked to 27 minutes the dial went all strange and somehow it's set itself to a 95 degree wash.

Since we only took delivery of the machine a month ago am I within my rights to ask for a replacement rather than a repair? (I worry if it's faulty now what will it be like in six or 12 months?)

Also, where do I stand re the ruined clothes? Can I ask for some sort of compensation as they have gone a really odd shade of purple?

Thanks
Operator Incompitence lol

Its Bermuda Triangle innit
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

The 30 minute quick cycle is usually for 2kg loads max, I bet sleeping bag, jeans, vests etc weighed more than 2kg , so has the machine got a auto function according to the weight of the wash? I know we used one at my brothers that would set the wash to the weight.

Mines less complicated, I hate it, its 150 mins for a normal wash, hence its on day and night:curse:, and it leaks water out the bottom, I just stuff a towel in front of it, very technical.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The 30 minute quick cycle is usually for 2kg loads max, I bet sleeping bag, jeans, vests etc weighed more than 2kg , so has the machine got a auto function according to the weight of the wash? I know we used one at my brothers that would set the wash to the weight.

Mines less complicated, I hate it, its 150 mins for a normal wash, hence its on day and night:curse:, and it leaks water out the bottom, I just stuff a towel in front of it, very technical.
Oh dear, what are you doing to the environment
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:17 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

This web site has lots of links re consumer rights:
http://www.australia.gov.au/Consumer_Rights

The one called "Consumers Online" looks promising.

In the UK you'd have a choice of replacement or repair, but don't know what the law is in Oz/WA. But one of the above links should tell you.

Gina
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:40 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Even if this is the case, a default setting to 95 degrees is wrong surely! What on earth would you need to wash on 95 degrees? If the little one was older I would think it could have happened accidentally. Mine used to love pushing the buttons on the washer when they were little.

Do the jeans still fit?

I would be down to the store quick smart (after I had read the book to make sure it wasn't a default thing)

Hope you get it sorted.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:52 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thanks
Sounds like the timer is faulty. You have a 12 month parts warranty so go ahead and complain. Not sure if you will get brand new machine, but parts all covered.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

thanks peeps, will go in there tomorrow

no setting for weight..... even if there was i wouldnt expect it to go to such a high temperature setting. as someone else has asked, what on earth needs to be washed at 95 degrees?

it seems to be one thing after another lately
Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:41 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

what on earth needs to be washed at 95 degrees?

Your hubby's sh*tty kecks

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:57 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
This web site has lots of links re consumer rights:
http://www.australia.gov.au/Consumer_Rights

The one called "Consumers Online" looks promising.

In the UK you'd have a choice of replacement or repair, but don't know what the law is in Oz/WA. But one of the above links should tell you.

Gina
Unfortunately if you read the warranty, operator error is usually not covered, as Bridie has said that it could have been accidently set by her. She would need to contact the supplier, who in turn would contact a technician to check the machine. The downside is that there maybe a condsiderable wait before it can get looked at. It would then have to go through the system, and if it can be repaired, which would be the most likely event, several weeks may pass if parts are not readily available. Me thinks quite a few trips to the laundromat. As to replacement articles, it also depends on the fineprint of the warranty, with my best guess of - tough luck.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Bridie,

Try posting in this forum http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/module...viewforum&f=28

It's a special Aussie branch of the UK site. They are usually very helpful.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Today DH puts it on 30 min quick wash with his work gear in... and we watch and wait.
gets to 26 minutes and the display goes all funny and it decides it needs another 2 mins cleaning
fine after that
was well miffed, esp as have arranged for a bloke to come and look at it on weds
will try again tomorrow and see if it does it,otherwise guess i'll have to cancel
as my DH said he'll probably try and blame it on me setting the dial wrong when I am 99.9999999999% I set it correctly
:curse:

thanks for all your replies
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Today DH puts it on 30 min quick wash with his work gear in... and we watch and wait.
gets to 26 minutes and the display goes all funny and it decides it needs another 2 mins cleaning
fine after that
was well miffed, esp as have arranged for a bloke to come and look at it on weds
will try again tomorrow and see if it does it,otherwise guess i'll have to cancel
as my DH said he'll probably try and blame it on me setting the dial wrong when I am 99.9999999999% I set it correctly
:curse:

thanks for all your replies

Thats OK just get OH to do all the washing from now on

Di
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by harveyhare
Thats OK just get OH to do all the washing from now on

Di
i like your way of thinking!!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:32 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Thanks

I think you will find that the store you bought it from will say to contact the manufacturer. I would look them up online and and talk to their customer service people.

OK so you overloaded the machine when it first happened but if it happened again when you did another load with the correct weight for the program it must be a fault with the machine. Todays clothes and materials are not designed to be washed at such high temperatures. If you wash anything which is polyester at that temp you will never get the creases out.

Give the manufacturer a call. Incidentally what make is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.