Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fare Concessions and Baggage Allowance with IOM: The Lowdown

Fare Concessions and Baggage Allowance with IOM: The Lowdown

Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:02 pm
On the raggedy edge

Crikey! will become famous soon enough
Default Fare Concessions and Baggage Allowance with IOM: The Lowdown

Hey all, just thought i would post up about the results of our recent enquiries to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), as regards fare concessions and migrant baggage allowance. I originally stumbled across them on Google looking for info on how to claim the migrant baggage allowance, hopefully you might find it of interest/use!

To see what info's currently posted on their Aus website see link:
http://www.iom.int/australia/projects.html

I e-mailed them just to find out what the general craic was and get some more info. They got back to me straight away to basically reinforce what their website info states and said that if I wanted a quote from them for flights they would be more than happy to oblige, all i needed to provide was the following:

- Number of passengers (please provide the age if your family includes children under 12 years old)
- the city of departure
- the city of arrival in Australia
- Preferred departure month

The quote is for one-way flights only, they don't do returns, and all payments have to go through them.

Once i supplied the info above they got back to me, again straight away, and gave a quote for 2 adults on a flight out of Heathrow to Bris with Quantas, with the 40Kg baggage allowance at £890 total, this came with a whole bunch of info on costs, payments, exclusions, potential changes to fares etc and seat availability i.e. conditions of entering into agreement with them.

We decided not to go for it in the end because we have found cheaper flights online and we think they may be more flexible in terms of dates/times etc. Also the pay system seems a bit of a faff. Hopefully others may find it useful/cheaper, thought it was worth a mention!

If you want any of the info they sent me, just pop me a PM and will be happy to oblige! FYI the contact who responded is detailed below:

Keiko Y Foster
International Organization for Migration (IOM)
PO Box 1009, Civic Square ACT 2608 AUSTRALIA
Ph: +61 (0)2 6267 6666
Fax: +61 (0)2 6257 3743
Email: [email protected]

ps Seriously edited to keep out of trouble!

Last edited by Crikey!; Jul 21st 2006 at 3:04 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fare Concessions and Baggage Allowance with IOM: The Lowdown

I'd be interested to read the experiences of people who has used them cos theey get mentioned on here quite often.....