Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Familys, love or hate em???

Familys, love or hate em???

Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

You lot are making me feel really old now.
I am 45 in 2 weeks time.

Whisky
Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Whats a few years between friends! don't feel like I'm nearly 40 anyway - well, at this moment I feel about 90 actually! but generally I certainly feel younger.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

You took the words right out of my mouth Polly. Not only feel it, startingto look it.
Cant wait for a bit of that Ausrtralian air.

Whisky
Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

mind feel i feel about 20, body wise about 40, freinds (all biased tell me i look 16) well as the old saying goes i am as old as the man i feel (oh no im not really 46)

arlene
Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by arlene
mind feel i feel about 20, body wise about 40, freinds (all biased tell me i look 16) well as the old saying goes i am as old as the man i feel (oh no im not really 46)

arlene

Arlene, you naughty thing.
I have never felt my age, but these last couple of months have taken their toll. Even looked at hubby this morning and noticed that he has got loads of grey hairs coming.
Hope to goodness that everything goes through this week, any longer and we will look like 2 old wrinklies getting off that plane.

Whisky
Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Whens computer shut down Polly?

I think ours will be shut down for the last time tomorrow night.

Whisky
Old Oct 12th 2003, 3:09 pm
Carol in Oz

Originally posted by whisky
You lot are making me feel really old now.
I am 45 in 2 weeks time.

Whisky

Nah! You're just a young un! I feel like every ones grandma now you've all fessed up.

Old Oct 12th 2003, 3:17 pm
Carol in Oz

Originally posted by footie chick
I can`t speak for others but i have not communicated with my brother or my dads side of the family for years now, this is no issue to my dad as he has been at war with his siblings all his life. So i grew up with a dodgy family life. I do not have the close relationship with my mum as some of you have and that has to do with the fact she walked out on us twice, and when you are young you grow up quick, and my dad yes slightly closer to him but not much.

My family and what i class as my family is Nige and out two kids, we don`t go in for the big family thing and that suits us as a family.

All my life i grew up with the back-stabbing, the fights, and much more all to do with families at war, well i don`t want my kids growing up in that world and thankfully they don`t. Nigel`s family is just as bad all out for what they can get, and they have manipulation down to an art especially the MIL.

Good luck to you all

fc

Sounds like most of us on here have a story to tell. Me included. Not seen me dad for 40 years - walked out on us - found him last year and he didnt want to know - his loss - he has wonderful grandchildren he will never know. My only brother never forgave me for coming to live in Oz over 30 years ago and after mum died he has disowned me and forbidden his children from having contact with me. Doesnt he realise that whilst this hurts me it also hurts his children and the hatred that he must have in his heart for me is eating away at him too. Get over it for goodness sake life is too short!
For me also my 'family' is the one I have here with my hubby and children. I refuse to let my past affect my future!
Carol

Old Oct 12th 2003, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good on yer Carole.
If others want to be awkward, it doesn't mean that we need to sit there and take it. Life is too short.

Whisky
Old Oct 12th 2003, 3:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Whisky - Little friendly computer gets the plugs pulled out sometime tomorrow I think, though I may get away with leaving it up till Wednesday morning (not online Tuesday though - away all day). Shippers come Wednsday. I'm taking refuge at my mate's place from tonight so I can use his, but after Friday I shall be in the wilds of Zummerzet and there be no computer there, only sheep, relatives, and lots of zider (and a lurking Welshboy no doubt!) Back briefly before Hallowe'en, then its cross your fingers and pray to the God of Computers that its gets there in one piece......or my Bloke may be learning some new words!!
Old Oct 12th 2003, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Polly, I know that we have said it before, but if we lose track for a while with all the computers going off and the house move and removals.
Good luck, have a good flight and be happy.
I will be in touch as soon as we are settled. (haha, settled, thats a laugh).

Whisky
Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

anthonykirby is an unknown quantity at this point

Balls to the lot of them.

We got a telephone call from my family on Sat Morning saying none of them want us to email/write/phone anymore...

Its hard but at least it saves on the Xmas pressies!!!

Let them get on with it - we got our own lives to lead and thats why we think of emigrating in the first place because you have to look after number 1!!!

Anthony
Old Oct 13th 2003, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: Familys, love or hate em???

Oh God don't get me started on families!

We too are a disfunctional set up, me & 3 brothers in Oz, Mum, Stepdad & weird stepbrother in UK. My "family" here are like strangers and it is SUCH an effort to try and keep contact, I'd rather just crawl into a hole and dissapear. I worry constantly about my mum cos she is not very well and lonely without her precious grandkids. Stepbrother weirdo has just moved back home (he's 40) with massive debts, being chucked out of his lodings. How is a 74 yr old supposed to deal with such shite. She was almost in tears on the phone talking to me last night.

Wanna go home and smuggle her our here. I'd have to knock her out first though.

Friends are better, deffo!!

Good luck
Diane
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

stotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by nicholls clan
But my sister thinks i have always been jealous of her she has her own house, 3 cars a career as (wait for it) a mental health nurse etc, etc.....I think she is surprised I never got a career, a husband and a "life". All I have done is traveled the world enjoying life, making friends and having a good time along the way.
So who's jealous of who then? Sounds like sis is the jealous one. Bet she'd secretly love to swap lives! Enjoying life, making friends and having a good time is what it's all about - and it's quite an achievement!

Often people would like to do what others do but lack the courage to do it. If these people also happen to be a bit immature then they invariably take it out on others (by rubbishing their ideas, achievements, etc.) rather than doing things themselves. It's a bit like "I want to do that but I haven't got the bottle and I'm unable to admit this to myself so I'll make myself feel better about it by trivialising it".

Some family ties stop at the biological level - if it wasn't for the fact that you're genetically related, you probably wouldn't give them the time of day! That's why friends are so important to us - they're the people that we CHOOSE to spend time with! Just my 2p worth
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Familys, love or hate em???

Originally posted by nicholls clan
I am so sorry to post a question like this on the board but I just want to ask other peoples opinions. I have 3 sisters and we are none of us close. Last night I had to spend 2 hours in a police station because I looked at my youngest sister the wrong way and she wanted the police to charge me!!!!! It is a long story but my question is this. Are my family really strange? Are familys really close knit units? Do most familys get on? I just do not know if we really are a strange bunch and that we all need counciling. I do not know how close familys are supposed to be. I have not been around my home town in 25 years i have spent the past 3 years back here before i head back to OZ next April. Should I do more to make the family closer or just stuff the lot of them and as long as Mum and Dad are ok say knickers to them all.

I could write a book on my family. I sometimes think that I should write down everything that goes on and make a soap opera about it, there are so many ups and downs. I have 3 sisters also, 2 of which live together and are pretty close and one who's spoilt to death and lives with my Dad, who also lives with a horrible woman 2 years older than myself whilst he remains married to another horrible woman!! My Mum lives across the road from me with a horrible man, who recently got a suspended sentence for head butting my sister, so we all refuse to go round there!!! My mother always takes everything I say the wrong way to make herself feel aggrieved and play the victim, so I find it really hard to have a relationship with her. It's all really embarassing and my family does my head in that much, that I really do want to live as far away as possible. I've always been made to feel like the black sheep of the family, they put me in care in my teens and have always made me feel so awful about myself. But, now I have a family of my own and it is the one place where I always feel happy and loved, and although I do love my family and I do really care and worry about them all, I have to distance myself from them and concentrate on the good things in my life.

Anyway, that's a bit about me. I wouldn't bother trying to sort things out with your family, just accept that you're all different and concentrate on the good things in your life. The more you worry about them, the unhappier you will become. we're only here once, so let's all make the most of it!! Good luck.

Noodle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.