Family payments from Centrelink

Family payments from Centrelink

Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:33 am
Just Joined

pphillips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family payments from Centrelink

Good Point, OK round 2

Gross (Pounds) 37,500
Less Tax (No NI) 7,541.60 (2579.20 NI = )

Net 29958.40
P/W 577.85 (instead of 526.52)

Per Day Rate % for UK: 0.0468
Per Day Rate % for AU: 0.069 or $100 per day 10.30%

Paul

Originally Posted by RichS
I have 2 kids in child care (child care centre for 3 days + 2 days family day care). My wife and I are both working. we are entitled to $0 assistance from the government, so nothing coming in there. Total cost p.a = c$26,500. So not cheap.

things to point out:

in my memory child benefit in the UK is not means tested - it is here.

The above scenario where you compared cost relating to income less tax is fair enough, but surely some of the ancilliary costings you then go to list as being an expense in Aus are things which in the UK are theoretically paid for out of your National Insurance contributions...which you didn't list as a cost.

So could you please re-submit the scenraio and factor in NI...which we don;t have here in Aus. That'll give a more accurate reading I think.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

thats better - didnt mean to confuse matters, but it wasn't clear to me if the figures took account of NI or not.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:38 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

My 3 yr old is in Kindy. Three days a week about 09:00 - 14:30, costing $450 per term. She goes to free pre-school next year, 5 days every fortnight. What exactly do you get for $100/day??
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:39 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: Family payments from Centrelink

NP, I wish they hard a chart to compare etc, which I might do.

Originally Posted by RichS
thats better - didnt mean to confuse matters, but it wasn't clear to me if the figures took account of NI or not.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:40 am
Just Joined

You can drop you kid off at 06:30 and then pick them up at 18:30 and this includes food.

Originally Posted by jayr
My 3 yr old is in Kindy. Three days a week about 09:00 - 14:30, costing $450 per term. She goes to free pre-school next year, 5 days every fortnight. What exactly do you get for $100/day??

Last edited by pphillips; Aug 24th 2004 at 3:52 am.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:34 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Peter
So, why go over there then?

Peter,
I was born in Australia and my father is Australian and I have a lot more family in Australia than I have here in the Uk, so actually I will be returning home.
I was a bit shocked to hear that child care was dearer, but despite that I will still be moving back to Australia to be with my family.
So your sarcasm was not necessary or appropriate really, was it!
I do wish people wouldn't make negative comments without knowing the facts first.
Shell
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:01 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pphillips
I had the same problem as you before I came to Australia.

OK, following me:

An I.T Developer in the UK earns around 37,500K Gross, the same role will be around $72,500 K per year.

Net income for UK: 27,379.20 Pounds Per Year (Tax Ded %=26.98)
Net income for OZ: $51,272 Per Year (Tax Ded %=29.28)

Week Wage:

UK: 526.52
OZ: 986.00
Pre School Fee % of Wages

UK: 27.00 per day %= 0.05
OZ: 67.00 per day % =0.06 or 100.00 = 0.10

So based on the above, yes it's not cheaper.

You also have to pay doctor fees Around $40.00 (50% gets rebated back to you via the Gov), food costs us around $400-500 dollers per month (based two adults, two young kids), petrol is around $1.00 to $1.10 per litre, from Richmond to the City costs me $161 per month.

For each new baby born in OZ you will get $3000 plus a few hundred dollers here and there.

My car (4 Litre 6 Cylnder Ford Falcon two years old) cost me $23,000 , you do not need insurance though but I have insurance, fully comp $500.00, includes my wife, car tax (includes building insurance) $670.

Hope the above helps

Paul

P.S

I would not worry about it to much, I tried to compare prices while I was in the UK and I was told it is to hard to work it out.

I have been here nearly two years and the cost of living is about the same, some things are cheaper and others are not but combine these together and the cost of living is a little bit cheaper.
Cheers Paul,
It's good to know that overall the cost of living is the same, with some things being cheaper and some being more expensive.
Thanks for the reassurance.
Shell
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shecha
Peter,
I was born in Australia and my father is Australian and I have a lot more family in Australia than I have here in the Uk, so actually I will be returning home.
I was a bit shocked to hear that child care was dearer, but despite that I will still be moving back to Australia to be with my family.
So your sarcasm was not necessary or appropriate really, was it!
I do wish people wouldn't make negative comments without knowing the facts first.
Shell
I think I prefer people who look after children being paid more!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:05 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

Originally Posted by CHnJ
I think I prefer people who look after children being paid more!
I think I would prefer the private nursery owners - who pay their employees a very low wage, to actually pay their employees (who look after the children) a decent wage, instead of pocketing all the large profits for themselves.
I know someone who owns a private nursery and she's raking it in!!!