Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family Medical Insurance ? - Dilemma..

Family Medical Insurance ? - Dilemma..

Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:46 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Medical Insurance ? - Dilemma..

Originally Posted by ali south
remember the tax implications for not having insurance, my sister was stung for this, 1% extra tax cost her more than private health care the first year she lived here.
I think if you have a joint income of 100k or more you will pay it, but I am not clear on this
Tara
I don't recall hearing about this before - We'll look into it. One for hubby I think! Thanks for the warning.

(Any income would be nice at this stage!)

Binbird
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ali south
remember the tax implications for not having insurance, my sister was stung for this, 1% extra tax cost her more than private health care the first year she lived here.
I think if you have a joint income of 100k or more you will pay it, but I am not clear on this
Tara
That is correct:

Medical Levy Surcharge (MLS)

If you are a single person, earning more than $50,000 per year, or a family earning more than $100,000 per year combined, then a correctly chosen Private Medical Insurance Policy will save you from paying the extra 1% Medical Levy Surcharge (MLS).

Individuals and families on these higher incomes, who do not have private patient hospital cover (including their dependants and their spouse if they have one), may be liable to pay the extra 1% MLS for any period that they did not have this cover.

Medical

Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by andrew63
Anyone know who provide dental cover alone?
I am happy with Medicare for the rest

Andrew
Ask your dentist. Ours told us which ones he advises, but said it may not be worth it for us.

Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I went to the dentist last week, two visits, one was for checkup, cleaning and 2 Xrays - $171.00

The next was a complicated filling, with added veneers to the side of the tooth, which took 45 minutes, and cost $172. The invoice said "5 Surfs - Post too" whatever that meant ! It ended up like a new tooth, i'm very pleased with it

I have had cheaper, and faster, fillings done before

I don't have insurance, so I get none back. But the girl that paid just before me, only had to pay about half of her bill, as insurance covered the rest.
Hi ABC ,which dentist did you go to as im on the lookout for one and live in the same area as you(Redland Bay)
thanks Donna
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by binbird
I don't recall hearing about this before - We'll look into it. One for hubby I think! Thanks for the warning.

(Any income would be nice at this stage!)

Binbird
I know how you feel about income, we have not had anything coming in since October, Alex started his job two days ago. I start mine in Warriewood!!!! on the 30th Jan.
Good luck with your job hunting
Tara
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by donna
Hi ABC ,which dentist did you go to as im on the lookout for one and live in the same area as you(Redland Bay)
thanks Donna
Gentle Dental at Victoria Point seems pretty good. I am a "nervous" patient, and he took great care, especially whilst giving me the in mouth injection :scared: So much so, that, as I close my eyes so I don't see it, I never even felt the injection !!

They had a Dentist there before, that was also very good, but she moved down to Redland Bay a little while ago. I can't recall the name now, but she was advertising her practice in the local paper recently. An Indian lady.

Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Gentle Dental at Victoria Point seems pretty good. I am a "nervous" patient, and he took great care, especially whilst giving me the in mouth injection :scared: So much so, that, as I close my eyes so I don't see it, I never even felt the injection !!

They had a Dentist there before, that was also very good, but she moved down to Redland Bay a little while ago. I can't recall the name now, but she was advertising her practice in the local paper recently. An Indian lady.
Thanks