Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family Health Insurance

Family Health Insurance

Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

MPRICHARDSON is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family Health Insurance

Moving to Perth in the new year and need to sort out the family Health Insurance for my 457 visa. I hear that it's quite expensive. Which company would you recommend and what sort of cover will I need.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Health Insurance

This thread may be of help to you!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...alth+insurance
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:54 am
Just Joined

wvink is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
we (family of 4) are about to move to Sydney (flying tonight!) and thanks to all info on ao this forum, we concluded that being entitled to medicare (reciprocal agreement between Oz and countries like The Netherlands and UK) is enough insurance.

Of course your employer might think differently, but then you'll have to be a bit more persuasive. All people who only got Medicare (so no additional expensive Visitor covers like the ones from Medibank or AU) said that all medical costs were fully covered. So no need to worry.

My wife is 5 months pregnant so that is another complicating factor for us, but all Visitor covers had 12month waiting periods, so can't claim any obstetrics services anyway.

Good luck!
Wim
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Check your contract carefully. On a 457 your employer is ultimately responsible for any medical expenses so many employers make it clear that YOU need to get private medical insurance; others include it as part of the package. Technically if you are entitled to "reciprocal agreement" medicare it covers "immediate and necessary treatment". wvink thinks that all medical costs are covered - he will find out when he actually lives here that that's not the case!

You have limited options for private health care on a 457 and it does tend to be quite expensive - if there is any possibility of negotiating it as part of your package that would be good.