Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

family allowances after immigration

family allowances after immigration

Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:58 am
Siozakk

khurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nice
Default family allowances after immigration

Hi
I wanna ask that once you get immigration for australia, do u start getting any allowances for ur family, i.e wife and kids? I heard that 2000 dollars r paid as allowance if u r taking ur family with u. is it correct? if yes, do u start getting it immediately after going there?
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:27 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: family allowances after immigration

Originally Posted by khurram
Hi
I wanna ask that once you get immigration for australia, do u start getting any allowances for ur family, i.e wife and kids? I heard that 2000 dollars r paid as allowance if u r taking ur family with u. is it correct? if yes, do u start getting it immediately after going there?

Where did you hear that one?

Are you on a GSM? If you are depending on how many children and the ages of your child/children and your income you will need to apply to Centrelink for Family Tax Benefit Part A/B. They will assess how much you will get as the benefit is means tested.

You can also apply for rent assistance. Again this is means tested.

You can apply as soon as you arrive and the money will take a while to come through but will be backdated from date of arriving in Australia

If you are on a 457 visa you get nothing

Last edited by crystal23; Aug 31st 2009 at 7:29 am. Reason: Added something
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:33 am
Siozakk

khurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nicekhurram is just really nice

I have applied for GSM 175. Going for 176 now. will apply for victoria soon.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Hi
I wanna ask that once you get immigration for australia, do u start getting any allowances for ur family, i.e wife and kids?
No.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:36 am
Siozakk

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
No.
what do u mean by NO?
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:40 am
His Excellency

fifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud of

Hi
$2000 ? I wouldn't think so .. any case centre link benefits aren't available to newly arrived immigrants untill after they've lived in Australia for 104 weeks
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:43 am
His Excellency

fifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud of

what do u mean by NO?
Negative
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fifty_pence
$2000 ? I wouldn't think so .. any case centre link benefits aren't available to newly arrived immigrants untill after they've lived in Australia for 104 weeks
That is incorrect. Centrelink child benefits are payable from the day you arrive as a PR. As is rent assistance. It is unemployment benefit or disability/sickness benefits which are not available.

www.centrelink.gov.au has all you need to know.

As for $2000 for new immigrants? Nope.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fifty_pence

Family Tax Benfit and Rent Assistance is available to newly arrived immigrants on permanent visas as soon as they arrive in Australia. The OP will have to apply through centrelink for it and is entitled to it as a he is on a GSM.

New immigrants are also eligible for the baby bond and FHBG.

Unemployment benefit is, as you say not available until you have been here 2 years
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That is incorrect. Centrelink child benefits are payable from the day you arrive as a PR. As is rent assistance. It is unemployment benefit or disability/sickness benefits which are not available.

www.centrelink.gov.au has all you need to know.

As for $2000 for new immigrants? Nope.

SNAP
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

If you have 30 kids you may get the 2000
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe it. No offense to the OP but this I think is the 3rd person in a short term asking about allowances.

I thought people move when they are ready. I agree OP is gathering information but I am glad this country is not paying allowances to immigrants. It goes out of our taxes.

The immigration form I believe specifies no allowances for 2 years. I think you get rent assistance but that is sh$t a$$ nothing...
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:10 am
Siozakk

Originally Posted by E3only
I can't believe it. No offense to the OP but this I think is the 3rd person in a short term asking about allowances.

I thought people move when they are ready. I agree OP is gathering information but I am glad this country is not paying allowances to immigrants. It goes out of our taxes.

The immigration form I believe specifies no allowances for 2 years. I think you get rent assistance but that is sh$t a$$ nothing...
no offence but u shouldn't be happy anymore because this country is paying allowances to the immigrants as crystal23 wrote.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

what do u mean by NO?
No means "No" .

As a newly arrived migrant, you won't receive AUD 2000 for having a family (so called family allowance).
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

Hi
No. For most allowances you have to reside in Australia for 104 weeks (2 years)

what do u mean by NO?
Nyet Norsk Negative

no offence but u shouldn't be happy anymore because this country is paying allowances to the immigrants as crystal23 wrote.
And no offence but you should spend more time reading and comprehending the replies. There is no allowance for having a spouse nor do you get any other lump sum amount just for being a migrant in Australia.

As E3only put it, I'm glad there are no such blanket benefits payable to new migrants for they indeed come out of the taxes paid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.