Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family of 3 in Perth - Money

Family of 3 in Perth - Money

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

acotiga will become famous soon enough
Default Family of 3 in Perth - Money

I'd like to form an opinion as to how much money I have to bring with myself in Perth.

We are a family of 3, and we are considering an unemployment period of 3 months. We don't intend to live on scraps of bread and water, but we realize excess is out of the question.

House wise, I've seen on the sites the average price of letting, but we are interested in average day to day life for a family of 3 that have to buy some things when arriving there, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:45 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family of 3 in Perth - Money

I see that you are not exactly new to BE but welcome to the Aussie bit! I can't answer your question for you unfortunately but someone will, I'm sure. Bear in mind that it is the middle of the night here.

Just a few mad people like me are up and about on the Eastern Side, people from Perth are three hours behind (so to speak).
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I see that you are not exactly new to BE but welcome to the Aussie bit! I can't answer your question for you unfortunately but someone will, I'm sure. Bear in mind that it is the middle of the night here.

Just a few mad people like me are up and about on the Eastern Side, people from Perth are three hours behind (so to speak).
. Thx. no problem. I can wait. As I will apply my second time in August I'll have 15 month of waiting...

Well, the big idea behind this question is whether I have to get 5000 or 50000$. So, the general order is OK. I'm not expecting an answer like 12943,8
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acotiga
. Thx. no problem. I can wait. As I will apply my second time in August I'll have 15 month of waiting...

Well, the big idea behind this question is whether I have to get 5000 or 50000$. So, the general order is OK. I'm not expecting an answer like 12943,8
I think a better question to ask yourself is how much money do you have? We came with about $40k and had I not found work right away we would have found it tough. Others have come with $500 and made it just fine.

It's really all about what you have. If I told you that you would need $500k to get started in Perth would you be able to come up with that amount?
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think a better question to ask yourself is how much money do you have? We came with about $40k and had I not found work right away we would have found it tough. Others have come with $500 and made it just fine.

It's really all about what you have. If I told you that you would need $500k to get started in Perth would you be able to come up with that amount?
I'm asking about general amounts. Per week, a family usually needs 1000 or 2000$ or 4000$?

Please take no ofence, but brits are a poor guideline on that. And that's because I live in continantal Europo and I earn euros. If we would both have a salary of 2000, me euro, you gbp, and we both would put away 500, when we would emigrate I would have 700$ and you would have 1000$. That's why I think, but please correct me if I'm wrong, that brits tend to go with much more money than the rest

I, for one was thinking of 700$ per week of stay plus 2000$ overall for bond of the house to be let. This will yield an amount of 12000$ for a family of 3 in a house of 300$ pw.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

alibaba1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm asking about general amounts. Per week, a family usually needs 1000 or 2000$ or 4000$?

Please take no ofence, but brits are a poor guideline on that. And that's because I live in continantal Europo and I earn euros. If we would both have a salary of 2000, me euro, you gbp, and we both would put away 500, when we would emigrate I would have 700$ and you would have 1000$. That's why I think, but please correct me if I'm wrong, that brits tend to go with much more money than the rest

I, for one was thinking of 700$ per week of stay plus 2000$ overall for bond of the house to be let. This will yield an amount of 12000$ for a family of 3 in a house of 300$ pw.
It all seems pretty confusing stuff ! I am trying to look into how much we as a family of 6 [2 adults 4 kids under 16 ] would need to have to be comfortable for a few months until my partner and i found work ,we would be looking to rent ,my hubby reckoned we would have around the 150.000 asd there is so much i,m trying to find out i,m confusing myself and every time i say something he replies with yes and there is shipping costs ,rental costs everyday living costs food electric gas council tax ,he totally will not take things serious about making the move to oz until he has a guide to how much it will take to get there and how much to live for a couple months until we find work ah he is stubborn
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Not making a lot of sense really. And if we Brits are "a poor guideline" then why did you ask the question on "British Expats".

I think your estimates for housing costs are a bit light.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to form an opinion as to how much money I have to bring with myself in Perth.

We are a family of 3, and we are considering an unemployment period of 3 months. We don't intend to live on scraps of bread and water, but we realize excess is out of the question.

House wise, I've seen on the sites the average price of letting, but we are interested in average day to day life for a family of 3 that have to buy some things when arriving there, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks.

Time to let your keyboard do the research, huh ? The major supermarkets here are Coles and Woolworths. You can access them online. Jot down the items you buy right now. Then browse Aussie supermarket price-lists and do the sums

Same with major electrical and other items -- you can find them all online

and the same with properties to rent, by suburb, by city, by State

That should give you a far better estimate than querying random others, who may have totally different needs to yourself

good luck
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Not making a lot of sense really. And if we Brits are "a poor guideline" then why did you ask the question on "British Expats".

I think your estimates for housing costs are a bit light.
Because there is no ItalianExpats or SpanishExpats but there are other nationalities visiting this site also.

Don't take it as an ofence. It's by no way meant as a racist remark.
A lot of UK people arrive in AU after they sold their house. This is a serious sum of money. For example Alibaba's hubby is thinking of shipping cost.

Well, we're going to Au and starting from scratch. I'm thinking of sending there just 1 box with some glasses, 1 cooking pan, and something extremely elementary.

As I said, I'm interested in the general feel of the market. I don't plan to live in Subiaco but I don't see myself in a roach infested studio either.

While some people get there and want to start their new life and be settled down in 6 months, I'm not expecting that. I don't see myself with a fully furnished house in 3 months and don't plan for that.

Internet is a powerful tool, but I somehow expect a lot of unknown expenses. That's why I was asking for a general feel of the money.

I'd like to come with 150k, but realistically I'll probably have 17k. Is this sum OK to survive for 3 months?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to come with 150k, but realistically I'll probably have 17k. Is this sum OK to survive for 3 months?
If we told you that 17k is not enough money would you decide not to emigrate?

It doesn't matter how much is enough for me or Alibaba or Bermudashorts or anyone else for that matter. Is 17k going to be enough for YOU?

You can count on at least $2500 for a rental (deposit etc), $5000 for a car, $400 per week for short term furnished rental (multiply that x 4 while you look for long term rental), at least $200-300 for your first grocery shop, dishes, furniture, etc.

For me personally $17k is not enough unless I were shipping all my furniture as well. For you it may be. Do you have a job to come to? If not, you may want to consider a backup plan. It is very likely that it will take a few weeks if not months to find work once you arrive.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

After initial set up costs, I'd say $800 a week bare minimum, $300 rent for a 2/3 bed place in a downmarket suburb, $200 food (basic food, nothing flash)and petrol, $300 for bills and other expenses like doctors visits, dental, unexpected costs etc.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Renting a 2 bedroomed flat/unit in a suburb with good public transport, local shops and a large park for your child, would reduce living costs. If you're short of cash, it is very expensive buying and running a car, so you could save a bit of money by using trains and buses. You'd have to be very careful choosing suburbs, though, eg avoiding those on the Armadale line. Some on the Midland line a bit dodgy too. Sunshine 9 months of the year does not make crime more acceptable.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Renting a 2 bedroomed flat/unit in a suburb with good public transport, local shops and a large park for your child, would reduce living costs. If you're short of cash, it is very expensive buying and running a car, so you could save a bit of money by using trains and buses. You'd have to be very careful choosing suburbs, though, eg avoiding those on the Armadale line. Some on the Midland line a bit dodgy too. Sunshine 9 months of the year does not make crime more acceptable.
Thanks a lot you two. I was thinking of Como region. Of course car is out of the question before I get a job. Btw, what do you think/heard of Penrhose College?

Dental => hopefully we're not gonna loose our teeth in 3 months due to scurvy...
GP => who knows, good point.
Bills => thx again for the info. Initially we'll have to cut on net and GSM to a minimum with an increase after we get our jobs.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:36 pm
Still alive

Thanks a lot you two. I was thinking of Como region. Of course car is out of the question before I get a job. Btw, what do you think/heard of Penrhose College?

Dental => hopefully we're not gonna loose our teeth in 3 months due to scurvy...
GP => who knows, good point.
Bills => thx again for the info. Initially we'll have to cut on net and GSM to a minimum with an increase after we get our jobs.
If you're thinking of private school you can add another shedload of money. Have you looked into how much it costs to send your child there? http://www.penrhos.wa.edu.au/images/...harges2010.pdf

Why Como? Have you looked into how much it costs to live there? http://www.domain.com.au/Search/rent...earchterm=como

Since you haven't even applied for a visa yet I would suggest you forget all about private schools and expensive suburbs for now and concentrate on getting your visa situation sorted. By the time you apply and are granted a visa things could change substantially here.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you're thinking of private school you can add another shedload of money. Have you looked into how much it costs to send your child there? http://www.penrhos.wa.edu.au/images/...harges2010.pdf

Why Como? Have you looked into how much it costs to live there? http://www.domain.com.au/Search/rent...earchterm=como

Since you haven't even applied for a visa yet I would suggest you forget all about private schools and expensive suburbs for now and concentrate on getting your visa situation sorted. By the time you apply and are granted a visa things could change substantially here.
Thanks for the concern. However, I'm not making the mistake of leting the house in a suburb based on the sum of money I'll bring with me but on possible salary in Oz. The state of unemployment is a temporary one and that's different from living for at least two years.

I'm not gonna get my daughter in private school now, for crying out loud, but I am gonna get informed on the better schools because those are going to dictate the suburb, that are going to dictate the amount of money that are going to dictate....you get the picture.

And yes, I have researched http://www.domain.com.au/Search/rent...omo&displmap=0. but i think this is better http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/pr...ce=refinements

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.